Howling Jack by Ransonwrites
4 (9.5%)
Ludwig Braun's brief time in Hell by negratti
2 (4.8%)
Long Live the Prince by RareCameo
5 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: July 02, 2014, 03:19:17 AM

Author Topic: [May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Voting Thread  (Read 7065 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Voting Thread
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:19:17 AM »
It's time to vote on May's Writing Contest - Portal fantasy!

There were eleven entries this time, something I didn't expect. Well done and thank you!
We even have a few new users/participants this time, hello and welcome! It's great to have you here. :)

Please read through all of the entries in the submission thread and place your votes for your three favorite entries in this thread. You won't be able to see the vote breakdown until the vote closes, so spread the word for others to come and vote! We do ask that if you entered, to vote for someone else.

This is the first time that you have three votes to give. (1-5 entries: 1 vote, 5-10 entries: 2 votes, 11-15 entries: 3 votes) I think two votes worked out great for last month's contest, let's see what can be done with three votes. :)

Remember that the winning entry will be posted on the main Fantasy-Faction site in July 2014.*

Good luck to all our entrants and thank you for voting! :)

*The winning entries of the last months haven't always be on time. We're working on it. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline LisaElle

Re: [May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Voting Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 12:45:14 AM »
So guys, once the results come out for the Portals theme, would anyone be interested in arranging some critiques for their portal work in the discussion thread? I thought it might helpful for anyone who entered if they wanted to get a bit more feedback on their work. I figure anyone could just shout out if they'd like a critique and then anyone else who wants to could write back to them with some pointers. I didn't get a chance to enter this time but I'd be happy to contribute and we could make it a monthly thing if it works out well. Would love to know your thoughts. :)
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
AW: Re: [May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Voting Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »
So guys, once the results come out for the Portals theme, would anyone be interested in arranging some critiques for their portal work in the discussion thread? I thought it might helpful for anyone who entered if they wanted to get a bit more feedback on their work. I figure anyone could just shout out if they'd like a critique and then anyone else who wants to could write back to them with some pointers. I didn't get a chance to enter this time but I'd be happy to contribute and we could make it a monthly thing if it works out well. Would love to know your thoughts. :)
Great idea, LisaElle. I actually thought about finding a way to include the possibility for feedback somehow in the contest (well, not the contest itself, but the stuff surrounding it), so if you guys have some ideas... :)

Offline LisaElle

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:00:42 PM »
Thanks Xiagan, glad you're liking the idea! Would it be possible to set up a critique thread do you think? I know there's already a critique section in the forums but I thought it might be better to keep all the monthly competition stuff together since it would be easier for us all to keep track of. So maybe once the voting results come out each month, a critique thread then opens up. People could submit their interest in having their work critiqued at the same time that they vote, so when the voting results come out, so does a list of people who'd like some feedback on their work and that list is what begins the critique thread. Then everyone could give a little feedback on each person's work. Just a possible structure that's been bouncing around in my head, I'm sure the other members would have more. :)
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:12:46 PM »

LisaElle, I really like this idea.  Perhaps a separate thread each month that goes up after the winner has been announced?  I'm thinking that critiques shouldn't start until voting is over...don't want to influence anyone.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:47:28 AM »
I think it would be a good idea. People enjoy feedback. Otherwise you're just writing words out into the ether, with no idea of what anyone thinks. A couple of recent incidents have got me thinking that I have absolutely no talent for writing, have been wasting all my time and probably should give up.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:18:31 AM »
I think it would be a good idea. People enjoy feedback. Otherwise you're just writing words out into the ether, with no idea of what anyone thinks. A couple of recent incidents have got me thinking that I have absolutely no talent for writing, have been wasting all my time and probably should give up.

After reading your realmspace story in the work to be critiqued section, it's absolutely not true. (the latter bit that is).

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »

After reading your realmspace story in the work to be critiqued section, it's absolutely not true. (the latter bit that is).
Thank you very much Justan. It's always nice to have some positive validation.

Offline LisaElle

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Elfy, I second Justan, I just left you some feedback on your super cool Realmspace story. Don't give up because you have talent, we all get tested at times so you're not alone there.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 12:44:18 AM »
Elfy, I second Justan, I just left you some feedback on your super cool Realmspace story. Don't give up because you have talent, we all get tested at times so you're not alone there.
Thank you very much for your encouragement Lisa and especially for saying that you thought Realmspace was super cool.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
Last few days to vote!

There are some very good ones this time, and I'm glad I was allowed to vote for 3 :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »
Voted. 

I could have done with four votes, but I mustn't be greedy.  Three votes is better than one!

Good luck everyone.

Offline Maxfield

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Coreling
  • It takes two to tango, but a forum to have fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
Voted

I've gone for the people who stuck to this months task, as I believe a few didn't really stick to the portal theme.

good luck all  :)

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
Congrats, Ladygreen, your story won! :D

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
Oh, wow!  Hooray!  Thanks everyone!   ;D