June 23, 2017, 01:08:42 AM

Author Topic: [May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: [May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 12:35:41 AM »
On the other hand, when I was considering querying, what I was hearing everywhere was that for a new author, even in fantasy, 120K was the absolute upper limit anyone would consider. People with a track record of selling, like GRRM and Brandon Sanderson, can get away with it. Unknowns cannot.

It's interesting to note that the first 3 Harry Potters were a lot smaller than the later books. The first one is just 77K, I believe. I know they are kids' books, but it shows that when she proved her series had selling power the publishers were more prepared to let her loose with mega word counts. Whether the latter books in the series *needed* mega word counts is still up for debate. *coughs*notheydidn't*coughs*
Similar thing has happened with GRRM, too. All the books are big, but the more popular they got the bigger they seemed to become and there's plenty of padding in the later ones. His response to a poster on his blog when they asked about repetition of a certain phrase seemed to indicate that he can quite easily ignore editorial advice now.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ACSmyth

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
Seriously. Books 4 and 5 were soooo dull and I just wanted to take a red pen to them and make him sort it out. I'm actually torn as to whether I continue ASOIAF or not, as those books really were "Book 10 of Wheel of Time" territory. (Although I gave up at 6 or 7 of WoT and only went back when (a) Sanderson took it over, and (b) there was a release date set for the final book.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 11:50:54 PM »
Seriously. Books 4 and 5 were soooo dull and I just wanted to take a red pen to them and make him sort it out. I'm actually torn as to whether I continue ASOIAF or not, as those books really were "Book 10 of Wheel of Time" territory. (Although I gave up at 6 or 7 of WoT and only went back when (a) Sanderson took it over, and (b) there was a release date set for the final book.
I kind of liked 5, but 4 was far from the series finest hour. Yes, agreed on CoT. One of the worst books I have ever had the misfortune to read.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 09:58:18 PM »

“My name is Xiagan and these are my companions, Arry and Autumn2May.”

Arry was a hard faced looking Dwarf; behind stood a solemn looking hobbit called Autumn2May.
Sweet! I'm in a story! Even if I am a Dwarf!

“We do work at the Fantasy-Faction site - that part is true,” continued Xiagan. “What you didn’t know is that websites can be used as portals and unfortunately for you, our emperor the Overlord has had his sights set on ruling your planet for some time. He’s been using the creative minds of your fantasy writers to feed this world. Whatever they write comes true. That’s why the monthly competitions were set up to find the best writers. Each monthly winner is then enslaved and hooked up into the network, being forced to continuously create fantasy characters for Overlords army of darkness, like the dragons you encountered. Previous winners are already here:  ACSmyth, G R Matthews, and TOMunro. Soon Overlord will have a large enough army to attack your world.”
*shhhhh* You're not making a very good minion by publicizing our secret agenda

“We will disguise you as one of his human slaves. As generals to Overlord’s armies, no one will suspect us,” replied Arry, whilst surely stroking his beard.
Ahhh ... fluff. You noticed the beard! That's what I get for picking a username like Arry ;)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »
We have to work fluff as a swear word into a story somewhere. I used it in Realmspace, but that hasn't been published.

Offline Maxfield

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Coreling
  • It takes two to tango, but a forum to have fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
We have to work fluff as a swear word into a story somewhere. I used it in Realmspace, but that hasn't been published.

Offline Maxfield

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Coreling
  • It takes two to tango, but a forum to have fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »

“My name is Xiagan and these are my companions, Arry and Autumn2May.”

Arry was a hard faced looking Dwarf; behind stood a solemn looking hobbit called Autumn2May.
Sweet! I'm in a story! Even if I am a Dwarf!

“We do work at the Fantasy-Faction site - that part is true,” continued Xiagan. “What you didn’t know is that websites can be used as portals and unfortunately for you, our emperor the Overlord has had his sights set on ruling your planet for some time. He’s been using the creative minds of your fantasy writers to feed this world. Whatever they write comes true. That’s why the monthly competitions were set up to find the best writers. Each monthly winner is then enslaved and hooked up into the network, being forced to continuously create fantasy characters for Overlords army of darkness, like the dragons you encountered. Previous winners are already here:  ACSmyth, G R Matthews, and TOMunro. Soon Overlord will have a large enough army to attack your world.”
*shhhhh* You're not making a very good minion by publicizing our secret agenda

“We will disguise you as one of his human slaves. As generals to Overlord’s armies, no one will suspect us,” replied Arry, whilst surely stroking his beard.
Ahhh ... fluff. You noticed the beard! That's what I get for picking a username like Arry ;)

sorry arry for making you a dwarf and a male dwarf to boot  - but as for dwarfs go, arry the dwarf was a fine looking dwarf and was known for having the softness beard in the fantasy faction relm - many dwarfs and members of zz top were very envious of such a fine grown beard.  :) 

Tags: