January 24, 2017, 01:13:17 PM

Author Topic: [May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 6037 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Discussion Thread
« on: May 02, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »

This month we're having a go at sad, little portal fantasy. For no obvious reason it's not trendy at the moment and besides Cat Valente's Fairyland books I can't remember any new publications in the last months.
Time to change that! ;)

No matter if it's Narnia, Oz, Wonderland, London below, Faerie or Un Lun Dun: It's always about (usually) a boy or girl from our world who finds a door/portal/way into another, fantastical word. Most of the time this world is in great peril and the quite normal boy/girl has to save it. (Of course you are free to twist this trope as much as you like ;))

Rules:

1. This can be prose or a poem.
2. Must be portal fantasy.
3. Ignore this rule, it's not really here.
4. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
5. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you pick an already existing piece of your work, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.

Entry will close May 31st 2014 and voting will begin somewhere around June, 1st 2014.*

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website in June 2014.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!

*I seem to never be home around the end of month, so please excuse if I'm not always on time (which is hard in an international contest with all the time zones anyways. ;))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: [May 2014] - Portal fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:13:58 AM »
While I'm not sure I can come up with a small enough concept for this (I have 3 full length novels that fit neatly into it, though) I have to say I adore that picture, xiagan. Do you know where it comes from or who the author is?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
While I'm not sure I can come up with a small enough concept for this (I have 3 full length novels that fit neatly into it, though) I have to say I adore that picture, xiagan. Do you know where it comes from or who the author is?
Great chance to write a short story in your existing universe. :)

Usually I try to find pictures that are free to use, but this was the one I thought about immediately and I had to use it. I couldn't find out whom it is from. My best guess is royall04 from deviant art (made in 2008), but s/he has deleted the account, so I'm not sure. I have a higher resolution if you want, though.

Offline FogAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 06:31:43 AM »
I can definitely see myself completing a story for this topic. While trying to work on last month's, I had some ideas that, just so happen to, coincide with this topic.

Well, I'll have fun with this one!

Offline ACSmyth

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:05:54 PM »
I returned to an old idea that I hadn't managed to make work, and hanged things up and hacked them about until it worked. Trouble was, I then really liked it, so I've put it out on submission. If it's rejected by the end of the month I'll post it. If not, I'll try to come up with something else.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
How's your writing coming along? Don't forget to submit your portal fantasy short story in the next two weeks! :)

Offline ACSmyth

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »
Darn. Trying to edit my other post and quoted it instead. No way to delete a post that I can see?

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 12:56:35 AM »
I came up with something and wrote it and it even fits into the word count. I'm just waiting for my betas to get back to me on it with their thoughts.

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:50:47 PM »
I'm working on something. Trying to finish while traveling for work!  Hopefully will have something reasonably good by the weekend.  I don't want to post first though - somebody else go first!  :)

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:19:52 AM »
I'm working on something. Trying to finish while traveling for work!  Hopefully will have something reasonably good by the weekend.  I don't want to post first though - somebody else go first!  :)
I have accepted the challenge Ladygreen and submitted a story, so you won't be first :).

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 03:56:47 AM »
I have accepted the challenge Ladygreen and submitted a story, so you won't be first :).

Glad to see the submissions picked up, and that I wasn't first!  Fourth - I'll take it!

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 01:40:48 AM »

Glad to see the submissions picked up, and that I wasn't first!  Fourth - I'll take it!
Me too. I was starting to think I might be alone.

Offline A.J. Van-Rixtel

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »

Me too. I was starting to think I might be alone.

Haha to be honest I only registered onto this forum the day before I submitted mine. As I had never done it before I was worried that I would do it wrong... I ended up waiting for someone to post before me so I knew what to do... :P

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »
Hey, the more the merrier AJ. I hope you stick around after the contest.

Offline Maxfield

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Coreling
  • It takes two to tango, but a forum to have fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »
Mines up!

As usual not easy to stick to 1500 words. Being happy with my work I realized I had written 348 words too many. Not easy shortening a story by that many words. Hopefully I haven't underwritten it now.

If there's a prize for originality this month I've got to go close - this one is dedicated to this site and some of their members - hope you all enjoy :) 

Tags: