This month we're having a go at sad, little portal fantasy. For no obvious reason it's not trendy at the moment and besides Cat Valente's Fairyland books I can't remember any new publications in the last months.
Time to change that!
No matter if it's Narnia, Oz, Wonderland, London below, Faerie or Un Lun Dun: It's always about (usually) a boy or girl from our world who finds a door/portal/way into another, fantastical word. Most of the time this world is in great peril and the quite normal boy/girl has to save it. (Of course you are free to twist this trope as much as you like
1. This can be prose or a poem.
2. Must be portal fantasy.
3. Ignore this rule, it's not really here.
4. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
5. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you pick an already existing piece of your work, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it.
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
Entry will close May 31st 2014 and voting will begin somewhere around June, 1st 2014.*
All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here
. Sign up is free and all are welcome!
The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website in June 2014.
Please post your entry here
.Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
*I seem to never be home around the end of month, so please excuse if I'm not always on time (which is hard in an international contest with all the time zones anyways.