February 27, 2021, 08:52:52 AM

Author Topic: The Night Circus Week 4: Finished  (Read 11226 times)

Offline Talo Kuren

• Seeker
Re: The Night Circus Week 4: Finished
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 03:50:54 AM »
I just find it hard to believe that Prospero and Alexander would really be so childish after living for so long. Alexander's motivations perhaps were slightly more altruistic as Marco would have likely had a less enlightened existence growing up as an orphan. But, Prospero throws his daughter under the bus and continues to act like a child throughout the entire book. There just seems almost no depth behind the motivations besides the basest human selfishness and arrogance.

They essentially ruin the lives of several people, ending two of them, all to prove their seemingly meaningless point.
Just like, lets say, all the gods of the ancient Romans, Greeks or Nordish people? Childish, petty, immortal, mighty and with no scope or care for the damage they cause? I find it very believable that immortality and power makes you so aloft that you regard other humans like ants...

That's a fantastic point. I just always considered both of them as human, and I'm always hesitant to buy into the power psychology. It feels wrong to me, but maybe that's because I'm an ant! It does open my eyes to that aspect a little bit more. It's still trite, but in a deeper way that I hadn't considered.

Offline Charlemagne

• Goatpoodle
  • Auror
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
I found the ending of this book to be by far the weakest portion of the book, for two main reasons:

1. I found that the magic used to solve the main conflict somewhat broke my suspension of disbelief. I understand that there were no rules expressly stating that magic of that magnitude could not be used, it seemed so far removed from the magic of the rest of the book that it seemed almost like it was "illegal". That and the ending with Marco and Celia being "dead but not" seemed a bit contrived and saccharine to me.

2. In the latter portions of the book, partially including Part 3 but certainly all of Part 4, I found Marco and Celia's likeability waning quickly. Their burgeoning love seemed to remove the interesting facets of their personality, leaving behind only enough traits to make them two-dimensional. Luckily, this coincided with an increase in the likeability of Bailey, Poppet, and Widget, which meant I didn't mind as much as I may have otherwise.

The only other problem I had with this book was that a large portion of the supporting cast was a bit 2-D and lacking (though not all of them - indeed, many of them were just as interesting as the main characters).

Overall, though, I loved this book. I thought it was really awesome. I would recommend it to just about anyone I know, mostly because Morgenstern's prose is among the best I've ever read, and the story was also really well-done. I'm so glad this was picked for the book club, because otherwise I may never have picked it up. So yay!
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline Lejays17

• Half a King
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
Just finished this up tonight.

This was an extraordinarily written book, the language was just beautiful.

It's a book when the ideas/language/prose was more important than the actual plot.

Like most everyone else, the ending felt rather rushed, almost like she had a limit of words, and she'd reached them and had to stop.  I did like that we found out why Bailey was so important to the story, as he really didn't seem to be any more important than the other reveres (sp?) for most of the book.

I'm very pleased that I read this, and it's certianly going on the "keeper" shelf.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Jaedia

• Chrestomanci
  • Crazy Dragon Lady
    • Dragons & Whimsy
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
Jaepedia is right. The contest was causing all sorts of collateral damage which was why it had to be ended. Fantastic book!

I like that one!

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • Text Sketches
The Night Circus Week 4: Finished
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
I realy enjoyed this book! And I finished way to early to comment on the other weeks forums - fear of spoilers. But overall what I enjoyed most was the vivid imagery. Even the smells felt real. I wrote a bit on my blog about how Morgenstern used music to help with this. http://textsketch.blogspot.com/2013/06/music-and-night-circus.html

The other bit I realy liked was Baily. I think when The livers bit got too mushy, Baily's character was there to lift the mood a bit.