June 19, 2018, 09:12:10 PM

Author Topic: [Mar 2018] - Letters - Discussion Thread  (Read 2522 times)

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
Re: [Mar 2018] - Letters - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2018, 04:18:27 PM »
I'm in first this time! Go me.

Really enjoyed this month, though I apologise in advance if some of the tropes/language is a bit rough to read in places. I tried to get the voice to come through, but it's definitely infected with a lot of my personal humour--hence why I shy away from trying to write comedy!

I wasn't sure how to handle the jump between the letter and the closing scene. I was tempted to make the letter italics, but thought that might make it hard to read, so I've left it as normal and made the final overview bold. Hopefully you can differentiate between the letter, the scene, and the closing documentary statement.

I didn't do the word count, but the letter portion is at least 900 of the 1350 words and contains most all of the dramatic events, so I'm crossing my fingers that falls into the requirements of the theme. Don't think I could make a 100% letter and find a way of closing it without it just abruptly cutting off.

Otherwise enjoy, and it should bring a smile to any Sci-fi gurus in some places at the very least.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:53:42 PM by D_Bates »
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 12:43:39 AM »
Almost done with the writing. It has nothing to do with my original idea but I enjoy writing this a lot. It'll probably be in tomorrow or day after that latest.
I've taken the setting of the wild north of far-west times, right out of the absolutely fantastic manga I'm reading, called Golden Kamuy, set in the early 19th century in Hokkaido, Japan, with lots of Ainu culture mixed in with a far-west type quest for hidden gold.

The art is sublime and the humour spot on. I'm 100% in love with the main characters. So it's also quite nice to work on a setting/time period I'm not so used to but have been enjoying, without going into any fanfic.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 01:18:51 AM »

Dearest Nora,

I hope that this letter finds you well.  I quite enjoy hearing about your anime-inspired writing project and it has me curious both about your upcoming opus and about watching the program that inspired it.  I must say I do enjoy your electronic missives and look forward to your next communication.

Sincerely,

Bradley

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
Dear Bradley,

Your letter finds me well, if flustered, as I mixed my shifts and am in effect 2h late for work with angry managers.
I hope you are better than that! Also, sorry to disappoint but Golden Kamuy is a manga, not an anime. At least as far as I know. It is a fantastic read I hope it'll find its way on your reading list eventually.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 05:25:09 PM »
Double post – but hey, it's a celebratory "done!" post.
All is good in the end, though I'm worried that it won't be as interesting to have a recurring character as I'd like, since I haven't written him in anything since I first started in this forum years ago! Poor Hades. I feel like having him in my title must be confusing by now.

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 07:43:03 PM »
Hi. What are the rules concerning an entry to the comp. that has a little erotica in it? Thanks :)
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Hi. What are the rules concerning an entry to the comp. that has a little erotica in it? Thanks :)

That is fine. Usually if it's very gory or vulgar, we just put a warning in bold before the entry. Just do the same, saying some "mild erotica" is there. I doubt it'll put anyone off reading but it's good to be warned.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2018, 07:38:50 AM »

Hi @bdcharles ! Please add a title and your word count, like you can see on other people's entry. Title is especially important, or else it'll be confusing when the voting comes.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2018, 08:09:46 AM »
Dearest Nora,

Thank you for your prompt reply-- I apologize that I write both after some delay and with some perfunctory haste.  It appears that once again my family life conspires to conflict with entering our monthly contest as I must entertain family once again on the occasion of an untimely death. I do so look forward to catching up with you all once I resume my daily rhythm, yet it may be some time before I read the collected letters you all have painstakingly composed.

Your humble servant,

Sir Bradley Dyrwyd

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
Back in last month's discussion thread:
Brother, if you wrote good smut, I would vote for you!!

Yesterday, at 7:43:03

3 minutes and 30 seconds later:
That is fine.

Okay, okay, I will stop micro-analysing the subtext in forum posts now  ::).
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 04:34:13 PM »
Back in last month's discussion thread:
Brother, if you wrote good smut, I would vote for you!!

Yesterday, at 7:43:03

3 minutes and 30 seconds later:
That is fine.

Okay, okay, I will stop micro-analysing the subtext in forum posts now  ::).

Nice try, except that mild erotica is not equal to smut. Smut is higher up on the content ladder.  :-*

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 03:59:22 AM »
My story has come along nicely. I think I might try one more edit and then submit it before the weekend is over.

Nice try, except that mild erotica is not equal to smut. Smut is higher up on the content ladder.  :-*
And here I thought mild erotica had more content than pure smut. Unless the content you meant was the erotic stuff.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 08:27:04 PM »
Yes of course I meant the erotic stuff. However I do believe that good smut, with actual "content" besides the smutty bit, is within the realm of the possible. Just.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 11:58:12 PM »
Grr, still gotta write a "letter" story and nothing is coming to mind. I'll mull it over for a few more days.

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 01:31:15 AM »
Grr, still gotta write a "letter" story and nothing is coming to mind. I'll mull it over for a few more days.

@tebakutis
You should write my other letters idea!
You know you want to...

I can PM it....

Because someone needs to write it  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)