September 20, 2019, 11:03:09 AM

Author Topic: [Mar 2018] - Letters - Discussion Thread  (Read 12782 times)

Offline ryanmcgowan

Re: [Mar 2018] - Letters - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
Think i’m going to play this one straight and keep the whole this as the contents of a letter, be interesting to see how i struggle to hold back the info dumping
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »
Yeah that's the issue. I'm almost done with my first draft, and it feels like an endless "let me walk you through my world". There is no way of showing instead of telling, since it's inherently someone telling someone else. I'm getting put off by what I've written so far.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
Have fallen a bit out of love with my first idea, and am gnawing around the edges of a second.
As for info dumping, it might be easier to do this set in our world. But that doesn’t fully address the show vs. tell issue with letters. Have to think about that one.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 01:10:02 PM »
Rules do say that the letters must make clear that it's a fantasy or sci Fi setting. So it kind of makes sure info dump happens somehow. Like everything it can be well done. I'm just dubious I'll manage.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 01:27:14 AM »
My current idea is going with number 2, but it feels like a bit of a stretch. It's less "the person isn't coming home because they're going to die" which is how I originally interpreted it and more "the person isn't going home because their home was destroyed." Is that stretching number 2 too far to fit?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
My current idea is going with number 2, but it feels like a bit of a stretch. It's less "the person isn't coming home because they're going to die" which is how I originally interpreted it and more "the person isn't going home because their home was destroyed." Is that stretching number 2 too far to fit?
The MC's not going home. That fits the requirement 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »
The MC's not going home. That fits the requirement 8)
Just wanted to be sure, thanks ;D.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »
Is the mother and high blood pressure and dungeon literal or thematic? Could it be a grandmother with fatal syphilis and a river boat cruise thru the heart of darkness?  Haha I need to come up with stories that don't have to be relegated to the discussion thread...

Online Bender

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »
I love the last option. It's brilliant.

This is probably the 8th or 9th attempt that I've started but never finished ( except the one time, I actually did...but my wife laughed so hard, I never posted it)  :-*

I'll definitely try to write a quick one.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
Ok. Just don't show it to your wife this time though.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »
Is the mother and high blood pressure and dungeon literal or thematic? Could it be a grandmother with fatal syphilis and a river boat cruise thru the heart of darkness?  Haha I need to come up with stories that don't have to be relegated to the discussion thread...

We want to see you in the Submission thread too.... ;D

Also wondered in 1. if it could only be a literal dungeon or some other circumstance the dying relative shouldn’t know about ?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »
Ok I've got an idea that makes much more sense and makes the letter a dynamic thing. And for this, my dear @Lady Ty, I will bring Hades back.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 02:10:51 PM by Nora »

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 04:45:57 PM »
Also wondered in 1. if it could only be a literal dungeon or some other circumstance the dying relative shouldn’t know about ?
"Dear Mother, today I met with the dreaded in-laws...."

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »

We want to see you in the Submission thread too.... ;D

I think you misunderstood?
It's about a hero who has lots of dangerous adventures but his mother (or grandmother idc) must not know about them because they would be upset and exercised and that wouldn't be good for their health. But of course they still want their monthly letter from their little darling and the hero can't lie to his mother, can s/he?

It's the very difficult task to write about something without mentioning it and/or downscaling what really happened a lot.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
Thanks  xiagan, we were reading too literally. ;D

And Nora, will be waiting with great anticipation, heart beating fast.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:22:20 PM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic