The Final Kingdom
1 (2.4%)
Skin of the Jaguar God
0 (0%)
A Taste of Humanity
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: May 01, 2017, 04:21:54 PM

Author Topic: [Mar 2017] - Through the Beast's Eye - Voting Thread  (Read 13575 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: [Mar 2017] - Through the Beast's Eye - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 04:40:31 PM »
ha!  just checked in on the author guesses.

at first, i was all, "c'mon people.  be serious."  but now, i'm starting to love the hilarious ones.  "shuck norris"  ha!

lord, and the guesses for the final kingdom.  totes funny.

https://m3mnoch.com/main/beasteyes

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2017, 12:26:59 AM »
I'll have you know that someone had voted Chuck Norris and I voted "Shuck Norris". Then when I came back the other vote had been altered to match.

*proud*

I'm very much wondering how many in the 5 people are actually voting for my name out of pure laziness, because I made such a fuss of being late, without actually looking into the style.
Everyone seems to forget that Lanko was a strong contender to last submission. I am offended by people thinking I could possibly have submitted after Lanko. I mean no offence myself Lanko... You know. It's more like a tradition for you to finish last than anything else.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:30:06 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 12:57:38 AM »
I'm offended I'm considered for last entry simply out of tradition. That's sheer laziness, specially when I already broke said tradition twice, this year no less. I'm wondering if that vote for me on the last story is simply because of that...

Meanwhile, the same thing in Corpses is happening, I'm being attributed 4 different stories. Chameleons for the win!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:59:46 AM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 01:08:12 AM »
If you're offended, how do you think I feel, being given 5 votes for it just because people are too lazy to pick up the more subtle clues?
They're here for the people keen to play inspector.

It's not a tradition, it's almost a god carved commandment Lanko.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »
I was not being serious on being offended!

And it's not that easy to pick up styles and clues. Remember last Anonymous contest? The only entry who was unanimously correct was Rukaio's. Maybe tebakutis' too. Out of 15-18 stories most people only got it right 2-3.

I voted for you on the last story and my reasoning was: Nora is a fan of Hannibal and mentions cannibalism now and then. Nora says she'll be very late for this month. Last entry even features a philosophical banter regarding cannibalism. Any "problems" on style might be due to rushing last minute adjustments.

Is that correct? I don't know, but what else do I have?

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 01:24:22 AM »
I was joking as well and joking on your joke.

Damn so maybe I should have followed my nose and given you the other story I thought was yours...

You're missing the whole conversation about Bea messing with other threads to hide which story was altered last, so you could look into that... Also you can go and see for yourself that the last time I submitted a story in the past tense was March 2016. It's not a rule set in stone but it's definitely a key to my writing you can't overlook anymore than "humour" in Rukaio's.

Then again maybe I submitted weeks ago and orchestrated the whole debacle with Bea and Xia to set up some spicy confusion.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 01:36:55 AM »
I saw the conversation with Bea but when I did they had reopened the thread and the authors had already edited their stories, so her name was not there anymore...

I noticed the tense but like you said, it's not set in stone. I also used it in Urban Fantasy (and I think some others?) and others in other contests.

And more importantly, there was no wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love in there!   ;D ;D ;D

Then again maybe I submitted weeks ago and orchestrated the whole debacle with Bea and Xia to set up some spicy confusion.

Hm, I don't believe that merely because I know you don't exactly like the whole Anonymous thing! Nice try, though!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2017, 01:49:25 AM »
So then shouldn't you take my word for it :o

But honestly can't believe you'd read the sat three stories and not see the clear difference in levels of wishy washy lyricism.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2017, 01:54:20 AM »
Eh... I thought the same in Corpses and only got it right 2 or 3 guesses out of 15-18.

And word is hard to take for granted, I mean, I remember I clearly stated various times I was not even in that contest and people attributed 3 stories to me anyway. The more I said I wasn't in, the more the guesses went for me  :o

So maybe the more you deny it, the more the guesses are going your way  :o
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:56:29 AM by Lanko »

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2017, 01:59:19 AM »
Haha! That's what so funny, and in my eyes, so pointless with the anon as well.

However, since when is cannibalism something attributed to me? Only one of my stories ever featured cannibalism and it was unknowing. Can't count my early fiasco with the Wendigo, that never went to the contest.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2017, 02:06:30 AM »
I believe because you're a fan of Hannibal, dark stories and I remember you even said in the Writing Group post when looking for a group that you were heavy into cannibalism!

Then your entry is late and the latest entry features... a cannibalistic alien species.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 02:17:47 AM »
Haha! That's what so funny, and in my eyes, so pointless with the anon as well.

However, since when is cannibalism something attributed to me? Only one of my stories ever featured cannibalism and it was unknowing. Can't count my early fiasco with the Wendigo, that never went to the contest.

Not the cannibalism, Nora, it's any unusual or unconventional dark. I've put in a guess for most of these stories, but will probably be wrong. There have been a lot of new writers over the past year and they do not enter every month so it is geting had to pin down a style.

Also there is the regular Anon which is a spanner in the works. Is it the same Anon every time ? Or are a few playing a game ? Sometimes I have hoped Doc Chill was back among us but never certain enough. ::)

ETA Guess purely on style and content, idiosyncrasies of phrase or lay out. I don't take any notice of the hints or stuff in discussion thread, none of you are trustworthy. :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:22:44 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »
One of these days me and Nora are going to have to get together for an anonymous contest and coach each other into making a dark atmospheric story/goofy humorous story respectively, just to mess with other peoples heads.

Er... not saying that the goofy humorous story involving dogs that everyone thinks is mine this month is actually mine of course. The fact that I personally own a fluffy goof-dog is completely inconsequential to this situation. In fact why would I even mention such a thing? In fact, I didn't! It's all your imagination. I've never even heard of a Cerberus before and any claims otherwise are dirty dirty lies.

Phew. Think I covered that one up nicely.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »
One of these days me and Nora are going to have to get together for an anonymous contest and coach each other into making a dark atmospheric story/goofy humorous story respectively, just to mess with other peoples heads.

Er... not saying that the goofy humorous story involving dogs that everyone thinks is mine this month is actually mine of course. The fact that I personally own a fluffy goof-dog is completely inconsequential to this situation. In fact why would I even mention such a thing? In fact, I didn't! It's all your imagination. I've never even heard of a Cerberus before and any claims otherwise are dirty dirty lies.

Phew. Think I covered that one up nicely.

Speaking of which!!!

Coaching is actually something I'd need. My attempt at writing "humour" for this new month is sinking into the tar pit of my tinted imagination. I can't find a comedic crux. It's always dark. The mc not getting what he wants, an end in despair... I really can't do it, and it makes the lighter beginning totally pointless.

Give me lessons please master! Share your knowledge and I shall call you shishou!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
Only seven people voted so far.

BUT nine stories in @m3mnoch's guessing paradise have the right authors attributed to them. So the hive mind is (if I remember right) a lot better this time. ;) Some stories have five names attributed of course, so having the right name among them may not be saying much...  ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)