July 18, 2019, 06:00:34 AM

Author Topic: [Mar 2017] - Through the Beast's Eye - Discussion Thread  (Read 16469 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: [Mar 2017] - Through the Beast's Eye - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:42 PM »
Mmmh... Might need some mod intervention there in the submission thread @xiagan and @ScarletBea since if Anonymous "quotes" the original poster then the suspense is kinda lost.

See what happens here
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »
Cheers, I'm sure it's fine, I suppose the person must have done a mishap while typing the message in, like some sort of copy paste including tags better left out. Happens to me all the time with large quotes. Wanted to make sure the rest didn't get spoiled.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 02:57:54 AM »
I was listening to a podcast with Ursula K. LeGuin yesterday (Between the Covers - October 1, 2015 episode) and it made me think about this month's writing contest. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but there's a segment focused on language and how it is reflective of so much of our psychology. The examples I can remember off the top of my head had to do with gender (English has no neutral singular pronoun to refer to people) and the prevalence of battle metaphors in America.

There's also some commentary on POV in the podcast, if you're thinking about which one to choose.

Offline Bender

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 03:08:45 AM »
3 months in a row, I've written 3/4ths of a story and unable to complete and submit. Hope I break the jinx this month...
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 04:37:20 AM »
Recently read A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers.  The story follows Lovelace, the ship's AI from Long Way to a Small Angry  Planet. Lovey is put into a physical synthetic body, and taken to a new world, in order to survive.  Exactly what this theme is all about and I wish I could have written here, brilliant. Any one else read it and agree?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Anonymous

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
Every idea I have fails on the question of "but how is this truly inhuman?"

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »
i was struck by inspiration friday.  took down a few notes.  after sitting on it for a day or two, i think i still like the idea this morning.  i'mma go for it.

tho, i did just remember that we'll need some anonymous story guessing tool, right?!?  we gotta drive up some drama!

however, i will note, it's all going to be manual guessing this time.  i just don't have enough writing samples from everyone, so the results coming out of the software-guesser-robot is super-super noisy.  crowd-sourced guessing all the way, yo!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 04:15:54 PM »
Every idea I have fails on the question of "but how is this truly inhuman?"

I can't read your notes very well, but I saw "sarcophagus" and "wakes." Assuming it was human to begin with, you would want to explore how that experience changes a person into something that isn't human - what is lost and/or what is gained from that experience? Human beings do not wake from their sarcophagi - to my mind, the answer to your question lies there. IMHO, a being that has defeated death is no longer human. At all. It might not be apparent for a while, but when one shifts beyond a 100-year lifespan, the perspective must be staggeringly different.

For example, the blue guy in Watchmen undergoes a steady loss of his humanity through the powers he gains, but I think the real change comes not from what he can do, but from the perceptions which he gained, the "events so tiny they can hardly be said to have occurred at all." He comes to be, essentially, a sociopath with shrinking/limited capacity to identify with humans - the cost of seeing the mechanisms of the universe is to lose sight of what it's like to be oblivious to them. Hope this is helpful.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 07:36:19 PM »
I have an idea in the works, but it's turning to be very high in description and rather low in action. I relish describing my monster more than giving the pov of it. We'll see.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 01:24:18 AM »
I had what seemed like a brilliant idea, but the more of it I write, the less it fits the theme. I'll probably end up writing something else and using the current idea for something else.

I really want to do something totally alien, but I can't think of a way to do that that's readable.  :-\

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 01:55:09 AM »
Which is best?

A :

Fear is, arguably, one of mankind's best quality. It drives self preservation, dragging Science and Art in its wake.
Fear of war, fear of disease, fear of loneliness; death's rank breath brushing down every man's spine and making them wonder, everyday as they wake, what shall I do today, to feel alive, to become immortal?

or B :

Fear is, arguably, one of mankind's best quality. It drives self preservation, dragging Science and Art in its wake.
Fear of war, fear of disease, fear of loneliness, the rank breath of death breezing down every man's neck and making them wonder, everyday as they wake, what shall I do today, to be alive, to become immortal?

Such minute differences are excruciating for me because I want to avoid unwanted rhyming, but like the snappiness of similar sounds.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 02:23:22 AM »
Which is best?

A :

Fear of war, fear of disease, fear of loneliness; death's rank breath brushing down every man's spine and making them wonder, everyday as they wake, what shall I do today, to feel alive, to become immortal?

or B :

Fear of war, fear of disease, fear of loneliness, the rank breath of death breezing down every man's neck and making them wonder, everyday as they wake, what shall I do today, to be alive, to become immortal?

Such minute differences are excruciating for me because I want to avoid unwanted rhyming, but like the snappiness of similar sounds.

Is this poetry or prose? I didn't detect the rhyme reading it as prose.

If pushed, I'd choose A. I like "feel alive", the Ls link together nicely and it's a nicer sentiment. A prisoner is alive. A free man feels alive. "Breezing" seems too light a verb for death, and "Brushes" draws on the phrase "brush with death."

Suggestions (if it's prose): make quality plural or get rid of "one of"; replace "everyday" with "every day", or better yet, with "each day", since you use "every" in the sentence already.

The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 03:35:53 AM »
Which is best?
or B :

^ B for me. I prefer the slight rhyme here more, feel it emphasises the breezing (or brushing if you prefer) and a chilling effect.   Found "death's rank breath brushing" awkward because of the alliteration. Say them aloud and feel the difference. ;).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:43:47 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
I prefer B too, but maybe "crawling" instead of "breezing". And also keeping the "feel alive" from A (instead of "be alive" from B).
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
And just to confuse things, I prefer A.
I like alliteration, and breeze isn't the right word.
Maybe if breeze weren't there I'd have a different sense of B.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com