January 27, 2021, 07:00:47 PM

Author Topic: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Voting Thread  (Read 30049 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Voting Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »
Worse than teeth falling out, for me, I once dreamt I had an eyelash growing on my eyeball.
But my nightmares tend to be more gory, with murder, rape, canibalism, wars and crashes.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »
I've just had  nightmare's in a row.

First one I dreamt a tooth fall out of my mouth then another one fall out one by one until I had no teeth left.horrible dream

Second one I dreamt that no one was talking to me and felt very lonely.

Third one not really a nightmare just bizarre dreamt that I was driving an electric go-kart on the motorway to Blackpool.

I hate teeth falling out dreams.  When I get them my whole tooth doesn't fall out they just crumble and I'm having to spit out little pieces of tooth throughout the dream.

that's a thing?  i've never had a dream where my teeth fell out.

Worse than teeth falling out, for me, I once dreamt I had an eyelash growing on my eyeball.
But my nightmares tend to be more gory, with murder, rape, canibalism, wars and crashes.

i always seem to be moving like i'm stuck in molasses in mine.  it's always the impending promise of gore and destruction.  and it freakin' goes on FOREVER.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2016, 04:04:14 PM »
i always seem to be moving like i'm stuck in molasses in mine.  it's always the impending promise of gore and destruction.  and it freakin' goes on FOREVER.
Mine are like this too. Paralysis, unable to move, or only being able to move really slowly. I try to scream and slap and do things, but nothings happens and everybody just laughs at me :(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2016, 04:08:58 PM »
Mine are like this too. Paralysis, unable to move, or only being able to move really slowly. I try to scream and slap and do things, but nothings happens and everybody just laughs at me :(

bleagh.  those are the worst.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2016, 04:16:57 PM »
Fifteen voters so far.

I didn't have a nightmare for quite a while. Maybe there's a correlation with the lack of sleep a baby brings... ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2016, 04:33:14 PM »
I used to have *horrible* scary nightmares as a child. I'd wake my poor parents up screaming at least a few times a week. I had my own stable of various monsters who had made appearances in various dreams and would recur, at least ten of them. I slept with the light on and a radio going until I was at least 13, and the only reason I turned it off, eventually, was because I was tired and it was easier to go to sleep with the light out.

Comes with having an overactive imagination, I guess, which helped with my writing later on. :0

Of course, this later transitioned to a huge love of ghost stories, especially freaky ones, which I now find enjoyable rather than frightening. And what's also interesting (to me, at least) is that for decades now, I have completely ceased to have monster related dreams where I'm helpless. I'm always able to fight back.

I still occasionally have dreams where I'm being attacked by zombies, or a monster, or once even Freddy Kreuger, but in those dreams, I pretty much always either grab a gun and blow the snot out of my attackers or, at the least, fight back and evade or escape.

It's odd, but I am basically *never* defenseless in any nightmare involving monsters or other ghoulies, so those dreams end up being more of an adrenaline rush than a scare. While I don't have hard evidence to support this, I am relatively certain that this transition occurred because of all my gaming ... playing games like Doom, and Silent Hill, and Resident Evil.

In those games, horrific monsters ARE attacking you and you're incredibly tense, but you can fight back. Somehow I've internalized that, so in whatever drives my unconscious mind to create dreams, any time my mind conjures "scary monster" it also conjures "hey, here's something you can kill it with".

That said, I still fall victim to the more mundane dreams, such as the ones where you've wrecked your car, or your teeth are falling out, or (the most terrifying ones since the little one arrived) where something has happened to my daughter. I did have one freaky half-awake dream (one of those sleep paralysis things) where I dreamt I heard some creepy lady singing a creepy lullaby to my infant daughter in the next room, over the monitor. So basically, some random psycho insane lady was going to steal my little girl. Those are the types of nightmares where I want to find my unconscious and knock the hell out of it.

You can send zombies and nightmares and have my teeth fall out and have me show up naked to class, but if you give me a nightmare where my little girl is dead or in danger, you are going to really piss me off. :0

Offline night_wrtr

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »
I've just had  nightmare's in a row.

First one I dreamt a tooth fall out of my mouth then another one fall out one by one until I had no teeth left.horrible dream

Had one of those. Even made a name for it in my dream. Mud-jaw. No cure, either. I still remember it and it was many years ago.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2016, 07:37:07 PM »
Voted. Good god, that was hard to choose. So many cool ideas! With such a wide variety of quality stories and interesting concepts, it was really hard to choose 3 over the others.

Also, a number of stories from writers I hadn't seen in the contest before, and good ones at that.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2016, 07:52:52 PM »
That said, I still fall victim to the more mundane dreams, such as the ones where you've wrecked your car, or your teeth are falling out, or (the most terrifying ones since the little one arrived) where something has happened to my daughter. I did have one freaky half-awake dream (one of those sleep paralysis things) where I dreamt I heard some creepy lady singing a creepy lullaby to my infant daughter in the next room, over the monitor. So basically, some random psycho insane lady was going to steal my little girl. Those are the types of nightmares where I want to find my unconscious and knock the hell out of it.

You can send zombies and nightmares and have my teeth fall out and have me show up naked to class, but if you give me a nightmare where my little girl is dead or in danger, you are going to really piss me off. :0
Luckily I never had one of those and hopefully never will.

I get the action filled dreams occasionally too - usually hard running, which leaves me exhausted. Nothing creepy, though.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
Voted!
And now I really should start writing something for this month's contest.

Edit: Oh, I also get paralysis-like nightmares. Usually I would need to run or fight, but my legs won't work. I sometimes still manage to "kick" people's ass in the nightmares, though. ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:30:07 AM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2016, 09:27:11 AM »
Voted!

Yet people joke about me being a late bird. But behold! Behold the magnificent feathers of the true Late Bird!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
Voted!

Yet people joke about me being a late bird. But behold! Behold the magnificent feathers of the true Late Bird!
I believe I can fly...  ;D

Status update: A little over 300 words in about one and a half hours (maybe?). Didn't manage start right after I last posted and now I have to go (or get to go, I suppose) for a lunch at my sister's place.
It's coming along... slowly.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »
Voted!

Status update: A little over 300 words in about one and a half hours (maybe?). Didn't manage start right after I last posted and now I have to go (or get to go, I suppose) for a lunch at my sister's place.

I'm winning, then. Still at zero.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Auror
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2016, 03:03:17 PM »
Voted!

It's not a contest.  ::)

Oh, wait. It actually is a contest.  ;D

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2016, 04:12:24 PM »
Voted!

It's not a contest.  ::)

Oh, wait. It actually is a contest.  ;D

Yeah, just not that kind of contest...