Broken - ArcaneArtsVelho
1 (2%)
Oneiromancer - Jmack
3 (6%)
The Dreamweaver - Lanko
2 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 01, 2016, 05:37:41 PM

Author Topic: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Voting Thread  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Hedin

Re: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Voting Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2016, 09:16:44 PM »
Congrats tebakutis!   Thanks to everyone who voted for mine, did not expect to get that much support.

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2016, 11:05:34 PM »
Congrats tebakutis liked your story from the start, glad I picked a winner. Was drawn in and fascinated by whole situation and the unexpected but perfect ending.

Surprisingly for me  also picked the other two top stories. Patchwork, congrats, hope you'll become a regular here and reason I voted for you is because you really truly scared me, what a nightmare.

Hedin, happy for you even though it was a 'Noooooo, how could you?' ending. Great story.

Thanks again to all writers, such entertaining reading again.
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Hedin

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2016, 02:23:52 AM »
Not sure if we're going to do a critique thread anymore (if so feel free to move this), but could use some opinions on my story as there were two things I struggled with.   The first is that I didn't know what to do with the start.   When I first started to write the story I didn't have an open so I just started writing at the middle and thought I would figure it out from there.  After I wrote everything middle started to seem more like an open.   I knew I didn't want to show whatever occurred to send my character to the ER and that I wanted to keep it dreamlike where you just jump into the dream/story.   I toyed with showing the character being moved from the ambulance to the ER but nothing I came up seemed like it did anything for the story other than add some word count padding.

Secondily, I'm not really sure I captured when the character was dying very well.   The story is based on a nightmare I had years ago and I recall the slowing down and difficulty of thought but couldn't really figure out how to convey that in words or format.   Any suggestions on how I could have made that clearer would be very welcomed.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2016, 04:11:17 AM »
Congrats Tebakutis! I voted for you and Hedin and Rukaio this month!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Half a King
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:21 AM »
Congrats on your completely deserved third win, teb. Excellent story. Looks like me and Jmack may have to watch our backs in the battle for GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST!TM
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2016, 08:35:32 AM »
Congrats on your completely deserved third win, teb. Excellent story. Looks like me and Jmack may have to watch our backs in the battle for GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST!TM
There is enough room for a GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITHING CONTEST, a GOAT EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST and a GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST. Don't you worry.  ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2016, 08:44:19 AM »
There is enough room for a GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITHING CONTEST, a GOAT EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST and a GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST. Don't you worry.  ;D

Hey @Nora, @SugoiMe time for a SUPREME GODDESS IMPERATRIX MUNDI to Rule them All and Bind them, Go ladiesl
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2016, 09:03:11 AM »

Hey @Nora, @SugoiMe time for a SUPREME GODDESS IMPERATRIX MUNDI to Rule them All and Bind them, Go ladiesl

My mind has gone somewhere else.....
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2016, 09:26:47 AM »
I'm not really focusing that far... I'm still to earn a second monthly victory. I'll be proud enough when I catch up to three.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
I was happy enough to get votes. Still got a long way to go to catch up to those guys.
"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." -- Richard Bach

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Voting Thread
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2016, 09:03:16 PM »
We did have girls/women with multiple wins in the past! If I'm not mistaken LadyGreen had three or four.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
Ladygreen, I still remember the winning story of the year she had.
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2016, 09:55:20 PM »
i'm pretty sure this is where i'm supposed to show up and say "boys rule, girls drool!", right?

right?!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2016, 10:03:31 PM »
i'm pretty sure this is where i'm supposed to show up and say "boys rule, girls take over the world!", right?

right?!
Fixed that for you 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Hedin

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2016, 01:10:58 AM »
i'm pretty sure this is where i'm supposed to show up and say "boys rule, girls take over the world!", right?

right?!
Fixed that for you 8)

I would quip otherwise but my wife might find out.

Tags: