March 08, 2021, 02:48:38 PM

Author Topic: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Discussion Thread  (Read 35443 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
Re: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2016, 12:11:50 AM »
Maybe people are still afraid a Like means a vote in the Submission thread and this was never so. I liked every single one last month and marked that.
I may be a little more sparing this month but my Likes don't mean vote prospects necessarily at all.

Because it was all or nothing on Likes, the thread they were missed most was Discussion threads, which  are usually great fun and when we couldn't have Likes there it was a shame.
In any case I still owe Henry so many I better catch up here ;)
Asking you to give me equal rights implies that they are yours to give.  Instead, I must demand that you stop trying to deny me the rights all people deserve"  ~Elizabeth Peratrovich~

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2016, 07:13:29 AM »
It just struck me that this is officially going full circle in over a year of monthly participation, not missing a single month!  :o
I really like this contest and it really gave me a lot of help as the year went by. Man a whole year!!
I just added up all my submissions, and from March to March of FF short stories, I wrote 17.730 words and won once.

200 words past the minimum limit of a Novella according to wikipedia! So now I can brag shamelessly about having written a novella which is indeed a "collection of more or less crappy short stories".  ;D  8)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2016, 11:24:52 AM »
It just struck me that this is officially going full circle in over a year of monthly participation, not missing a single month!  :o
I really like this contest and it really gave me a lot of help as the year went by. Man a whole year!!
I just added up all my submissions, and from March to March of FF short stories, I wrote 17.730 words and won once.

200 words past the minimum limit of a Novella according to wikipedia! So now I can brag shamelessly about having written a novella which is indeed a "collection of more or less crappy short stories".  ;D  8)

Put them in an omnibus and publish it for free on some book platform, then boldly claim you are a published author  8)

Offline Blackthorn

• Godling
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2016, 05:43:44 AM »
So after going over my story a few times I find I've still got quite a few concerns. It doesn't actually contain a shred of real fantasy, and even a little less pure fiction than I would like. Also it doesn't exactly read like a story, and I'm not sure if I went a little overboard on the seriousness.

Also i'm not really sure if my ending seems like its been wrapped up well.

So I'm going to do like Rukaio and ask if one or two people would like to read my story before I post it and let me know if it seems like it fits at least somewhat with the theme. Id like to get a second opinion while ive still got time to trash the whole thing and start over.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2016, 11:00:03 AM »
Added a little bit in between with more explanation as to the situation because my victim test subject proof reader believed it was needed. Will reread tomorrow and post if all is fine then   ;)

Edit: and I'm in  :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:35:26 AM by Henry Dale »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »
After two weeks away from much fun, I'm starting back on my story.
Goal for today: complete draft.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Hedin

• Master Namer
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2016, 12:28:38 PM »
I've had a draft done for awhile just haven't gotten to polishing up yet.  Hoping to get that done sometime in the next few days.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
Yes, come on guys, 10 more days, you're cruising it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:19:43 PM by ScarletBea »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »
We also need @ArcaneArtsVelho, @m3mnoch and @Raptori 's...
So many 'regulars' that are skipping homework hehe

heh.  i've got the beat sheet to a mediocre story laid out.  gonna try and get most of it drafted this morning.

Offline night_wrtr

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »
I have a vague seedling of a story, but I haven't decided if it is enough to work with.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »
I have an idea for a story but I don't think it really fits the theme. (And it's not that good anyway.) Might write it, might not.

I'm going to be pretty busy for the next couple of months, and sadly the monthly contest might not be high enough on my list of priorities to make the cut.  :(   (I know... Strange priorities.)

EDIT: I'm confused whom I'm quoting. ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:24:25 PM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2016, 02:16:03 PM »
Yes, come on guys, 10 more days, you're cruising it.
This!
There's only 6 entries so far.

Whoa, @ScarletBea, what did you do to my post? That's weird, did you hit edit instead of quote or something? I feel strangely violated!  :o
I stood staring at Arcane's post for 2 full minutes trying to recall whenever on earth I took the time to @-call anyone in the recent past! xD

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2016, 02:18:59 PM »
Oh my gawd, I'm so sorry!
I thought I was clicking 'quote' but on this section I'm a mod so the right-most option is actually 'modify', so I modified your post instead of quoting and adding my bit.
I need to be more careful, sorry :(

I'll fix yours back.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »
Homework sucks!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2016, 04:15:42 PM »
Oh my gawd, I'm so sorry!
I thought I was clicking 'quote' but on this section I'm a mod so the right-most option is actually 'modify', so I modified your post instead of quoting and adding my bit.
I need to be more careful, sorry :(

I'll fix yours back.

Haha, don't worry, it was odd but the mistake was obvious! It just felt like a weird otherwordly experience! Powers beyond my comprehension in action!!