March 08, 2021, 03:32:55 PM

Author Topic: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Discussion Thread  (Read 35444 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2016, 11:22:25 PM »
Hey, you know how I said in February I was aiming to swing back to doing some more serious stuff? Well, considering how dark and serious a theme this is, it's only natural that my brain immediately went with the silliest idea I could come up with.

However, I'm a little bit worried that I haven't pulled off the main conceit of my story as well as I could have and would like an outside view on it. So I was wondering if someone would like an advanced read to tell me what they think? Any takers?
So nobody's up for this?

Sorry matey, but until I'm done and dusted with my story, I don't want to read anything on this month's topic. If you're still working on it when I'm done I'll give you a read but as it is I'm avoiding the submission topic altogether.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2016, 01:06:29 AM »
Damn finally sat down to write a story for this month but it's 2,500 words maybe no one will notice.....  ::)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2016, 11:39:57 AM »
Hey, you know how I said in February I was aiming to swing back to doing some more serious stuff? Well, considering how dark and serious a theme this is, it's only natural that my brain immediately went with the silliest idea I could come up with.

However, I'm a little bit worried that I haven't pulled off the main conceit of my story as well as I could have and would like an outside view on it. So I was wondering if someone would like an advanced read to tell me what they think? Any takers?
So nobody's up for this?
Go on :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »

So nobody's up for this?
Go on :)
Sorry Bea, you're a touch too late. You can still enjoy it in the Submissions Thread though.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2016, 01:41:27 PM »
No worries, I was just concerned you didn't have anyone.
I always enjoy your stories, so I wouldn't have much to say anyway :)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2016, 07:58:06 AM »
Woohoo! I'm in and free for the month now!  :D It was a pleasure to write this, and it'll be a month I'll enjoy reading more than fanfic, so looking forward to everyone's posts!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Hedin

• Master Namer
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »
I had a nightmare about 15+ years ago, that while I haven't had it again, still gives me a shiver down my spine whenever I think about it too much.  I'm not sure how to storify it as it was more of a psychological scare that I'm not sure I can ever fully convey but I'm going to give it a try. 

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2016, 07:48:22 AM »
Over the last couple of months it now looks like people are a lot more shy with liking stories. We're far from the old days when a story could have 7 likes and 4 votes!

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2016, 08:47:53 AM »
Over the last couple of months it now looks like people are a lot more shy with liking stories. We're far from the old days when a story could have 7 likes and 4 votes!
I actually forgot to... usually I use likes to mark a story as read. Now I went through them in one go.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »

For me, this is an unintended consequence of m3mnoch's ebooks. I read the stories there and forget to come back to the forum for giving Likes and comments.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »
Ah true that's a good explanation Jmack. I don't use them since I'm far too lazy to connect my ebook and like reading through the month if I'm done writing. Ah well.

Offline shadowkat678

• Half a King
  • Writer. Dreamer. Schemer
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2016, 06:15:32 PM »
Man, I want to do this, but I'm such a wimp when it comes to horror. That's what this would turn out as with me, and that would mean looking up pictures and feeling like I'm being watched and all kinds of other craziness. Let me just figure out how to do this without receiving some nightmares of my own...ugh, maybe I'll just have to suck it up and listen to music while I sleep. That's the only way I can do this and still be able to go to bed without waiting for a red-eyed shadowman to jump me.  :-\

Totally going to try though.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2016, 06:41:08 PM »
Nightmare doesn't necessarily mean horror, though - in my opinion

Offline shadowkat678

• Half a King
  • Writer. Dreamer. Schemer
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2016, 06:47:23 PM »
Yeah, well, I guess there could be a comical nightmare, like something about a clown...but the way, I call that. That actually gave me an idea.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2016, 11:48:25 PM »

For me, this is an unintended consequence of m3mnoch's ebooks. I read the stories there and forget to come back to the forum for giving Likes and comments.

*beep*  *beep*

comin' through!