November 24, 2020, 06:48:54 AM

Author Topic: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Discussion Thread  (Read 33495 times)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
Re: [Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 08:27:31 AM »
I have an idea  :)

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
After a lot of syllable counting, I think I've managed to get something that somewhat resembles a poem.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
After a lot of syllable counting, I think I've managed to get something that somewhat resembles a poem.

Awesome! Fresh change, and fast! I couldn't write a poem to sve my life so I'm impressed.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
Still waiting for a theme to pop into my head. Once I get an idea, I can generally knock it out pretty quick, but as much as I love horror/scary stories, nothing is jumping out at me (ha! a horror pun!)

I think the thing I'm grappling with is that nightmares are (unless you go the Freddy Kreuger route) not real. So while they may be intensely terrifying while you're experiencing once, you eventually wake up safe in your bed (OR DO YOU?) But from a storytelling standpoint, "I had a bad dream, then woke up" isn't an angle that's making my heart race (ANOTHER NIGHTMARE REFERENCE).

I think I might end up going with the literal nightmare (as in, a horror story with a real threat that is terrifying enough that we'd call it a nightmare, if we saw it) rather than a story about a person having a nightmare. We'll see what pops into my head.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »
I've had a notion, but that's all it is so far.
And it's probably book length.  :(
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2016, 06:20:57 PM »
Double post.
My story will be about a nightmare in which...
Spoiler for Hiden:
the U.S. is taken over by an arrogant, rude, blow hard from reality TV
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Blackthorn

[Mar 2016] - Nightmares - Discussion Thread
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »
Ive basically got mine completely finished,  but I can't post it until the end of the month.  Itll make the story just that little bit more effective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 01:57:12 PM »
1,336 words into my story, and maybe one-third of the way through.  >:(
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2016, 02:16:34 PM »

1 400 in mine and need to scrap 100 words to make the ending work. Counting myself lucky! Using Edge of Tomorrow's OST as I work and it's perfect.

Courage Jmack you can do it! If you write the full blown thing, post it in the critic thread for us to appreciate it!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »

1 400 in mine and need to scrap 100 words to make the ending work. Counting myself lucky! Using Edge of Tomorrow's OST as I work and it's perfect.

Courage Jmack you can do it! If you write the full blown thing, post it in the critic thread for us to appreciate it!

471 words done. One third into the story as well. I'm on schedule.  :)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »

Well ahead of schedule! We're only the fourth! Damn I'm almost sad to be already done, I love my new character to bits and I'll have a whole month to wait for the next topic.
What kind of story are you writing Henry? What kind of nightmares do Belgian do? Tu te reveilles en sueur apres une nuit passee a te croire francais??

My own vision of nightmare isn't especially scary or spooky this month (I'm going to disappoint Bea), but more movie-scriptish.

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »

Well ahead of schedule! We're only the fourth! Damn I'm almost sad to be already done, I love my new character to bits and I'll have a whole month to wait for the next topic.
What kind of story are you writing Henry? What kind of nightmares do Belgian do? Tu te reveilles en sueur apres une nuit passee a te croire francais??

My own vision of nightmare isn't especially scary or spooky this month (I'm going to disappoint Bea), but more movie-scriptish.

Absolutely Nora, dreaming in french is a nightmare.
Lastly I dreamt I was a serveuse in a japanese restaurant though. It was a very bizarre experience. I ended up quitting that job and woke up  :P

My current entry is slightly scifi. I've read paprika recently and it shows. No spoilers though  ;)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »
Awesome! Were you in a good kawai servant dress like the japanese like?

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2016, 02:53:41 PM »
Awesome! Were you in a good kawai servant dress like the japanese like?
Was a traditional thing like in Spirited Away's bath house. The pay was shit tho which is why I left.  :P