February 20, 2019, 03:52:55 PM

Author Topic: [Mar 2015] - Rogues - Discussion Thread  (Read 24796 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: [Mar 2015] - Rogues - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 10:54:05 PM »
Question for you's guys and gals.

Do we want "The Empty Chair," a tale of regret and making do, or "Open and Shut," a hard look at what can wrong when you're a "lovable rogue?" Because I really have no idea at this point.
Either, or, mate. Whatever you're most comfortable with writing.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 10:11:36 AM »
Alright, posted a go. I'm pretty sure my definition of a Rogue is a bit too stretched but gniiiiih...

@Raptori : loooove your story already but I suffer greatly at the end, as I'm not sure if it's my deviant brain or what but... It seems to me like your (superbly written) rogue was actually talking to a goat? What am I missing?!

I reckon I'll read them all as they go and do like you guys re-reading with a point system in the end. Sounds good.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »
Alright, posted a go. I'm pretty sure my definition of a Rogue is a bit too stretched but gniiiiih...

@Raptori : loooove your story already but I suffer greatly at the end, as I'm not sure if it's my deviant brain or what but... It seems to me like your (superbly written) rogue was actually talking to a goat? What am I missing?!

I reckon I'll read them all as they go and do like you guys re-reading with a point system in the end. Sounds good.
Halfway through reading yours right now, really good so far!

Glad you enjoyed it! In English, "Kid" can mean one of two things: a young human, or a young goat. Han Solo always called Luke Skywalker "kid", so we decided to make a joke about that  :P I guess it's something that people who speak English as a foreign language might not pick up on :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 10:34:20 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it! In English, "Kid" can mean one of two things: a young human, or a young goat. Han Solo always called Luke Skywalker "kid", so we decided to make a joke about that  :P I guess it's something that people who speak English as a foreign language might not pick up on :D

OMG. Yes! Thank you!!!
Both teaching me a new word and reassuring me.
This makes the ending properly cool. I really like your short. Awesome job!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

OMG. Yes! Thank you!!!
Both teaching me a new word and reassuring me.
This makes the ending properly cool. I really like your short. Awesome job!
No problem! :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »
@Nora You are fast! Second day on the forum and you already got a contest story written (and still had the time to flood the forum with posts  ;) ). Very fast, indeed.

Although now that I think of it, I posted my first contest entry the very day I registered.  ;D Okay, I might have registered when I did because I wanted to enter the contest. (I'm still working my way to flooding the forum, though.)

I only read them once the month's been finished and all stories posted.
I usually read them on 2-3 days, depending on number and mood, but I keep a list where I note down my score (out of 5) for each, then at the end vote for the highest score ones. In case of tie, I go and reread bits.
It works for me :)
Maybe I won't change my ways then. Thanks!  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2015, 10:57:31 AM »
@Nora You are fast! Second day on the forum and you already got a contest story written (and still had the time to flood the forum with posts  ;) ). Very fast, indeed.

Although now that I think of it, I posted my first contest entry the very day I registered.  ;D Okay, I might have registered when I did because I wanted to enter the contest. (I'm still working my way to flooding the forum, though.)

Haha! Sorry, I guess it's the excitement of the first days, and the bliss of being in contact with new people, even if only via a forum. I'll surely quiet down soon.
As for the story, I worked this morning from 5am to 10am while I could think about some basic features. Then I sat down to write from 10am till 6pm, worked an hour and got back to the story and published at what? 9ish? So worked on this for 9 good hours today! Not as fast as I wished it had been!
My only Internet connection is flimsy on my phone so I can lazily flood on the side, but not much else!  :P

You still seem to own the record on posting post subscription time!!

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »
Okay, let's not say fast. Let's say... eager?  :)

And no need to slow down posting on account of my complaining. I'm slow reader and slow writer, and occasionally I like to complain.  ;D

So, go on and keep flooding the forum. It's good for the community to have active members.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »
Phew! Perfect!  ;D was on my way to create a post in the Illustration forums and felt almost sheepish! ;-)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 12:14:27 AM »

One of the great things about this particular topic is that it has so much scope and the definition of a rogue is extremely wide and fluid and exists in almost any genre you care to name. Your English is quite good Nora, I'm always envious of someone who is multi lingual. I've read stories by writers whose first language is English and in some cases they show less command of the language than you do.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
This sounds like a bit of fun... and a good way od distracting myself from all the other stuff I swore I would do this month. As a bit of noob around here can someone tell me, is it strictly fantasy or can we do a sci-fi short ?(I've had a one in my head for a while that I've not had an excuse to flesh out..)

Edit: Scratch that - I've just read some of them and that last one has post apocalyptic sci-fi all over it, so I'll see if I can find some time to knock something out!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:00:18 PM by wakarimasen »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »
This sounds like a bit of fun... and a good way od distracting myself from all the other stuff I swore I would do this month. As a bit of noob around here can someone tell me, is it strictly fantasy or can we do a sci-fi short ?(I've had a one in my head for a while that I've not had an excuse to flesh out..)

Edit: Scratch that - I've just read some of them and that last one has post apocalyptic sci-fi all over it, so I'll see if I can find some time to knock something out!
Oh great father @xiagan, what shall we answer?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »
ooo... is it a contentious point then? No problem. One fantasy rogue short story coming up...

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2015, 05:19:26 PM »
Doubt it's contentious, but it's worth getting @xiagan's thoughts since he's in charge  :P

I would have assumed it's any speculative fiction, but then again there was a Sci-Fi specific month recently so that might not be the case. Personally I'd be fine with anything goes  :-\

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[Mar 2015] - Rogues - Discussion Thread
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2015, 05:43:55 PM »
Well, there is nothing in the rules stating that it must be fantasy. :) I'm not a big fan of labels anyway... ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)