May 30, 2020, 08:09:35 PM

Author Topic: Dreamer's Pool Week 4: Finished  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Dreamer's Pool Week 4: Finished
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »
I finished this about a month ago and realized I never wrote notes for the ending week. I do know I loved it, and am quite looking forward to the next one.  I just really enjoyed the dark fairy tale type of feel to it. I was not terribly surprised that Flidais's soul was in the dog, there was definitely something off there. But, I didn't care that it wasn't a surprise. And somehow, I was sad that the actual dog had died in Dreamer's Pool.

I also realized at the end of this, that we still no very little to nothing about Grim's past. I don't mind that we don't know, but I still hope to find out at some point.

What did others think?
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamer's Pool Week 4: Finished
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
Pretty much the same, from what I can remember. Wasn't surprised that it was the dog, was also sad that the dog had actually died. I kept expecting Conmael to play a larger part, but that just never seemed to happen. Quite a good book overall.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:27 AM »
These last chapters moved right along. The ending wasn't a huge surprise, but I felt satisfied with it. This is going to sound silly, but I was really happy when the dog/Flidais jumped in the pool instead of having to be thrown in. I had actually stressed a little when I thought they were going to throw her off that cliff! Kind of funny  that Blackthorn keeps the dog in the end. Can't help but feel a bit sorry for the maid, really, since she was a victim in the beginning, too. She could have been nicer, but it wasn't her fault she was put into that situation to start with. Flidais is the one that wanted to bathe.

I also liked that Blackthorn admitted she liked having Grim around at the end. I look forward to learning more about his past in future books.

Anyway, this was a good read for me and I'll definitely read the next in the series. Glad that at least some of you felt the same.  :)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:23:03 AM »
Can't help but feel a bit sorry for the maid, really, since she was a victim in the beginning, too. She could have been nicer, but it wasn't her fault she was put into that situation to start with.

Yes! She was kind of obnoxious, but I also felt it was harsh. The story definitely had some dark edges to it like that.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:53:13 AM »
Overall, a very good book. I've got the next book on my TBR, definitely.
The final scene with Blackthorn and Grim was great.

On the down side, I never felt so completely engaged that I couldn't put the book down. I just found Oran's voice so slow and a little dull. He really dominated the book, even though he was the least interesting of the three narrators.

I did get right away that there'd been a switch, but I didn't get the triple switch until the reveal.  So that was fun!

Next B&T book, please.

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com