September 29, 2020, 11:53:06 AM

Author Topic: Dreamer's Pool Week 2: Chapters 10 - 19  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Dreamer's Pool Week 2: Chapters 10 - 19
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:50 PM »
OK, so seriously, what the hell is up with Flidais?? The first week all of my curiosity centered around Blackthorn and Grim, and while I am still really eager to find out more about them, this week I am all about figuring out what happened at the lake/pond where Flidais’ maid died, what is going on with Brindle. Is it possible that somehow Brindle now contains the soul of Flidais, and Flidais has been overtaken by some evil fae? Probably not, the dog is probably just aware that Flidais is evil now (I’m obviously speculating here, but really, does anyone think she’s not evil?) It’s hard not to assume that Flidais has been overtaken or replaced (changeling), even though we have not met her before. Obviously, something evil/nefarious is going on there.

I am also curious about the second red scarf, where it came from, what it is, how it came to be with Grim and Blackthorn.

And, I’m still waiting for Blackthorn to meet Oran. I’m really curious about that for some reason.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline ladybritches

Re: Dreamer's Pool Week 2: Chapters 10 - 19
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:06:45 AM »
Once again I find myself nodding as I read Arry's post, but  I hadn't even considered that Flidais might have been soul flipped into the dog though. lol. She's definitely up to something, and it almost has to be because of the fey, right? Why else would the dog be so afraid of her? I wonder about the dog, too, because in Flidais's letters she said she found the dog originally, is how she acquired it, and she made jokes about it being fey.

I expect Blackthorn will be the one to figure out the problem with Flidais, but she hasn't even met the prince yet! I expected their lives to intertwine by now.

Another thing I'm wondering about is why Conmael saved Blackthorn to start with. What is his part in all this? So far he's not playing a very big part in the story.

Oran's chapters are still the slowest for me, mostly because he gets a bit long-winded when he talks about his duties and day to day activities.  He's such a nice person, but in this section he's a little too good to be true. But that's a minor complaint. I mean, it's still been an enjoyable read so far.

Offline Ender

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:16:14 AM »
I was actually thinking Flidais was possessed by some lake spirit that also killed the maid girl by drowning her.

But man, these chapters really dragged for me.  Everything having to do with Conmael and Grim's past or Blackthorn's past was put on the back burner.  This whole quarter of the book was just descriptions of their days and their concerns and reservations about each other or their current situations.  It went on too long for me.  This part of the book was really when I started feeling like I was reading a diary.  More so with Oran's chapters but really for all three.  And I didn't feel like it gave me tons of insight into any of them which is probably what made it more difficult to have it go on for so long.  I had to really power through these chapters while I waited for the story to return to the plot points that I was interested in.  The only interesting development was Flidais acting really strange, but since her behavior was mostly only affecting Oran on a personal level, it wasn't that interesting.  In a way, I'm liking the low key, non-quest nature of the story so far, but it needs to get rolling with some sort of conflict/tension soon.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »
Another thing I'm wondering about is why Conmael saved Blackthorn to start with. What is his part in all this? So far he's not playing a very big part in the story.
Yes! What is his motivation because it doesn't seem like it would just be out of some random act of kindness.

I was actually thinking Flidais was possessed by some lake spirit that also killed the maid girl by drowning her.

But man, these chapters really dragged for me.  Everything having to do with Conmael and Grim's past or Blackthorn's past was put on the back burner.  This whole quarter of the book was just descriptions of their days and their concerns and reservations about each other or their current situations.  It went on too long for me.  This part of the book was really when I started feeling like I was reading a diary.  More so with Oran's chapters but really for all three.  And I didn't feel like it gave me tons of insight into any of them which is probably what made it more difficult to have it go on for so long.  I had to really power through these chapters while I waited for the story to return to the plot points that I was interested in.  The only interesting development was Flidais acting really strange, but since her behavior was mostly only affecting Oran on a personal level, it wasn't that interesting.  In a way, I'm liking the low key, non-quest nature of the story so far, but it needs to get rolling with some sort of conflict/tension soon.

Honestly, this is a book where I think you need to enjoy the style or its going to fall flat (maybe that's the case with all books?) But for me, I enjoyed not just the story, but the way it was told. It felt more like a fairy tale to me than a diary. But, that is just my take on it and there's no story or style that will work for everyone. I also listened to this one as an audiobook which I think that may have actually enhanced the book for me some because it was quite well done
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:43:48 AM »
So I see it like this. The plot and characters require that Oran needs time to understand that all is not right with Flidais.  But as a result, the story is very slow right now; and we spend all this time with the less interesting characters at the expense of time with the two we started with. Given that this is a mystery story (I think) with Blackthorn as the detective, it's sort of like the long sections you get in Agatha Christie, showing the murder, setting up the suspects, before Miss Marple finally gets on the scene. Except that we got to meet Blackthorn and Grim right away, and I want more of them.

But now we're at the end of chapter 9 and Oran finally has a clue. So maybe the pace will pick up.

In terms of that mystery, my theory is that Flidais has been possessed by the mind and spirit of the Dreamer. In the scene where Bthorn attends the old woman's deathbed, she is told a tale about a wizard who imprisons a princess. I think this foreshadowing at least. Flidais's is trapped in the Pool, just as the Dreamer had been. We need to get bad Flidais back into the pool so good Flidais can get out.

Now what in the world the red handkerchief or the miller and his daughter have to do with this, I have no idea.

My next theory is that the Fey did want Bthorn in town to deal with the dreamer somehow.  When the book is over, he'll send her somewhere else for another mission.  But what do I know?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:49:35 AM by Jmacyk »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com