September 29, 2020, 12:10:07 PM

Author Topic: Dreamer's Pool - First Impressions  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Dreamer's Pool - First Impressions
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:24:23 PM »
This is a thread for first impressions, a place to share your very initial thoughts when you sit down to read. This should be spoiler free. If there is something spoilerish you just really want to comment about right at the beginning, just be sure to use spoiler tags. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: Dreamer's Pool - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »
OK, I got an early start to this one because I'm listening to it on audiobook, and my listening time can be somewhat sporadic (I couldn't count on finishing a different audiobook before I would need to start this one). Anyway, I've just listened to maybe the first 30 minutes or so and am really quite taken. I am also quite surprised by how dark the beginning is, for some reason (maybe the pretty cover?) I wasn't expecting that.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
The different voices of the three protagonists are really well realised, each feels utterly different to the other two. All pretty good so far, just starting chapter 5  :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline saulydan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »
So, I actually really struggled to get into this one. It does start off dark, but I feel like the author repeated phrases/themes way too often and it got a little repetitive and slow. The characters also seem very flat and obscure.
That being said, I'm really glad I persevered and finished it. Amazing characters that do come to life and a story that's interesting and different. Just the right amount of fantasy and intrigue.

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:33:13 PM »
I'm about 4 chapters in and very intrigued so far. The opening scene was very well done, I thought. Definitely hooked me. I didn't know this was going to be a multiple POV novel, but I'm kind of excited that it is. I enjoy multiple points of view as long as each character has his or her own way of speaking and it's easy to differentiate between them. So far, this one is working for me.

Not sure how I feel about the present tense in Grim's POV though. Reads a bit clunky, or maybe I only noticed because it was jarring after Blackthorn's chapter in past, but Grim is a great character so far, so hoping the tense change won't bother me as much once I get more invested in the character.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:31:44 AM »
I'm about 4 chapters in and very intrigued so far. The opening scene was very well done, I thought. Definitely hooked me. I didn't know this was going to be a multiple POV novel, but I'm kind of excited that it is. I enjoy multiple points of view as long as each character has his or her own way of speaking and it's easy to differentiate between them. So far, this one is working for me.

Not sure how I feel about the present tense in Grim's POV though. Reads a bit clunky, or maybe I only noticed because it was jarring after Blackthorn's chapter in past, but Grim is a great character so far, so hoping the tense change won't bother me as much once I get more invested in the character.
Yeah I found Grim's first chapter a bit jarring because of the tense, but it became progressively less noticeable as the book went on. It's a great way of showing that he thinks in a different way to other people imo. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »
It's a great way of showing that he thinks in a different way to other people imo. :)

Agreed. It does give his chapters their own special sound.  :)

Offline Ender

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:05:21 AM »
Yeah, I think the cover kinda threw me off too.  Wasn't expecting the story to be a gritty as it is in the beginning.  Does start to have more of a fairy tale feel to it after we get introduced to Conmael and Oran.  I like it so far.  Pretty straight forward plot.  The only intrigue came in the form of Conmael's deal with Lady.  I admit, i'm very curious about what Conmael's game is.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 11:39:25 PM »
Read thru ch 3: the third POV epistolary section feels way out of sync with the first two, but oh well.
Ch 1 felt very promising. Ch 2 did as well, but seemed as though it lost some of its unique voice at times.
Still, explosion was a heck of a way to get our heroine out!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com