August 25, 2019, 01:55:11 AM

Author Topic: [March 2013] The City - Discussion Thread  (Read 9126 times)

Offline Neila

Re: [March 2013] The City - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »
I will be entering this time, finally. Got some ideas for a short story and I must be more active here! I shouldn't be some sort of lurking lump.

Awesome - Neila is here!  ;D

Would about 121 words over 2000 be less than 10% over? I want to double check my math since I kinda haven't slept well and seem incapable of math at the moment.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:35 PM »
I will be entering this time, finally. Got some ideas for a short story and I must be more active here! I shouldn't be some sort of lurking lump.

Would about 121 words over 2000 be less than 10% over? I want to double check my math since I kinda haven't slept well and seem incapable of math at the moment.

No you're fine. Over 2200 words would be.
Make Another World.

Offline Neila

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 10:56:56 PM »

No you're fine. Over 2200 words would be.

Oh good! My math was right after all. :D Time to go post up my vomit...I mean story... You guys will be the first ones to see it. Then I'll crawl back into the cave I live in.

Offline Phil the Drill

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
Hey, everyone!  I'm new around here (I've posted a couple of times in other threads) so I just wanted to officially say "Hello!" and thanks for letting me participate in this contest.  I've read all the other stories/poems and I think they're all great.  Do we use this thread for feedback and such? 
“I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, & am content.” Robert E. Howard

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
Hey, everyone!  I'm new around here (I've posted a couple of times in other threads) so I just wanted to officially say "Hello!" and thanks for letting me participate in this contest.  I've read all the other stories/poems and I think they're all great.  Do we use this thread for feedback and such?

Glad you decided to participate!  :) This thread is just for anything related to the contest - questions, feedback if you want it, updates. We'll have a discussion thread for the contest every month for things like this.  :)
Make Another World.

Offline rooker

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
Hi everyone!

Have been here for a while now, but mostly as a reader. :) Just posted my entry. I hope I can discipline myself to take part in the contest each month, its great motivation to keep writing.
Live and Let Live. Really.

The Lazy Engine: http://www.thelazyengine.com

Trust your imagination. It knows what it's doing. - Karin Tidbeck

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 01:46:57 AM »
Hi everyone!

Have been here for a while now, but mostly as a reader. :) Just posted my entry. I hope I can discipline myself to take part in the contest each month, its great motivation to keep writing.
Welcome! Glad to see you take part! :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 08:50:03 AM »
Hi everyone!

Nice one! I'll try and come up with some cool themes!  ;D
Make Another World.

Offline rooker

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
Thank you Arry  :)
Idlewilder : Great! Looking forward to it!
Live and Let Live. Really.

The Lazy Engine: http://www.thelazyengine.com

Trust your imagination. It knows what it's doing. - Karin Tidbeck

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
Anyone still thinking of entering the contest - you have until Midnight Sunday night to do so.  :)

EDIT: Actually, for clarification, the contest will close at Midday on Monday GMT, to allow those up to 12 hours behind the same amount of time.  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:46:55 AM by Idlewilder »
Make Another World.

Offline simonster

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »
Looks like we've got a bumper crop of entries this month. :)

Something I've been wondering about:  How would people feel about having multiple votes per person when deciding the contest winner, like we have in the Book Club voting?  For eight entries in the contest (current count), three votes per person feels about right to me.

Thing is, I always feel a bit torn having to single out just one entry to vote for - and then see my second-choice end up with no votes at all (since the voter turn-out in some months can be awfully low, which multiple votes would also help compensate for).

Anyhow, just a thought. ;)

Offline Neila

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »

Something I've been wondering about:  How would people feel about having multiple votes per person when deciding the contest winner, like we have in the Book Club voting?  For eight entries in the contest (current count), three votes per person feels about right to me.

Thing is, I always feel a bit torn having to single out just one entry to vote for - and then see my second-choice end up with no votes at all (since the voter turn-out in some months can be awfully low, which multiple votes would also help compensate for).

I have no clue. This is my first time actually participating in the contest. Had planned to in the past but stuff always got in the way. I'm determined to make sure I enter from here on out!

What if someone uses all 3 votes for the same entry or them self? That seems like it could be abused to me. D:

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 11:21:19 PM »

For now, I'll be keeping it to one vote per person. You're voting for your favourite of the posted stories - not your Top 3. If we have a month with only 3 entries (known to happen) then that just won't work.
Make Another World.

Offline simonster

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 07:40:03 AM »
For now, I'll be keeping it to one vote per person. You're voting for your favourite of the posted stories - not your Top 3. If we have a month with only 3 entries (known to happen) then that just won't work.

Fair enough. :)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »
Everyone get voting!

And start thinking up ideas for April's Contest!  :)
Make Another World.