December 08, 2019, 03:48:17 PM

Author Topic: [March 2013] The City - Discussion Thread  (Read 9937 times)

Offline Idlewilder

[March 2013] The City - Discussion Thread
« on: March 01, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »
For my first month organising the writing contest, I thought I'd draw on something which I've found myself thinking about often with my reads in the last year:

The City.

The city is an ever important element of fantasy - whether it be real life cities or fantastic creations like Ankh-Morpork, New Crobuzon or King's Landing, this is something which writers of fantasy come back to time and time again.

Your challenge this month is to write a story, in whatever fantastic genre you like - but it must include the city as a core element, self-created or real life. (Fan fiction is not allowed)

Rules:
1. This can be prose or a poem. Be creative.
2. Must contain some element of the fantastic.
3. "The City" must be a core element in your piece.
4. Prose must be 500-2000 words long. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.

Entry will close on the 31st March 2013, and voting will be open for the month thereafter.

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website in May 2013.

Good luck and Happy Writing! 

This is a thread to discuss this month's theme. Any questions you have can be posted here.   :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:27:41 PM by Idlewilder »
Make Another World.

Offline Louise

• Ambient Mage
  • Adventure Time Appreciator
    • View Profile
    • LouiseMaryJames
Re: [March 2013] The City - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »
I have one I'll be submitting, but it needs an edit at a time when my eyeballs don't feel inclined to fall out.

I'm really pleased to have found a little time to write a short, what with my formidable procrastination and most of my time being sunk into a WIP, it's nice to have a story at least completed. :) 

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
I have one I'll be submitting, but it needs an edit at a time when my eyeballs don't feel inclined to fall out.

I'm really pleased to have found a little time to write a short, what with my formidable procrastination and most of my time being sunk into a WIP, it's nice to have a story at least completed. :)

Awesome - looking forward to reading it!  :)

It's great to see 2 entries already, and they're good 'uns! I'm debating whether to enter it myself, but as I set the task would that be cheating? I suppose it would.  :-\ 
Make Another World.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:12:12 PM »
It's great to see 2 entries already, and they're good 'uns! I'm debating whether to enter it myself, but as I set the task would that be cheating? I suppose it would.  :-\
We always have said it's not cheating. It's not like someone else is writing the words for you. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »
We always have said it's not cheating. It's not like someone else is writing the words for you. :)

Oh I know that, it's just - have I had maybe an advantage in knowing in advance what the task would be? I dunno. I might do something.
Make Another World.

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:05:28 AM »

Oh I know that, it's just - have I had maybe an advantage in knowing in advance what the task would be? I dunno. I might do something.

Nope. It's totally alright with us, and I think that that's what matters. Please submit, don't deprive us of your lovely writing!
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
You are not the judge, so it's not cheating. :)
And since nobody will favor your entry because you set the task, it's totally okay.

I think this is a fun contest and not something where we pitch for the same job and early knowledge would be an advantage. I bet you didn't know you'd choose the City theme 30 days ago - so everybody who enters in the end of March has the same "advantage". ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
So...let's just say someone posted an entry. Then a while (a week or so) later this someone decided to look over what they posted and noticed some minor editing typos. Could someone edit their entry before the month is up to fix little things, or should they chalk it up as lesson learned for next time?

Pretty much are updates discouraged or against the rules once a post has been submitted?
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
So...let's just say someone posted an entry. Then a while (a week or so) later this someone decided to look over what they posted and noticed some minor editing typos. Could someone edit their entry before the month is up to fix little things, or should they chalk it up as lesson learned for next time?

Pretty much are updates discouraged or against the rules once a post has been submitted?

I think edits are allowed until the deadline - I don't see it as an issue.  :)
Make Another World.

Offline Louise

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • LouiseMaryJames
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:19:36 PM »
Honestly I never considered asking this, I just go ahead and edit, (before the deadline, ofc ;)). Usually though, I only ever really change a couple of words at most -- I make sure I'm at least 95% happy before posting -- or I alter the formatting if it's a little difficult to read, (or I've missed words that need italics etc).

But yeah, I don't see it as a problem. :)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »
Honestly I never considered asking this, I just go ahead and edit, (before the deadline, ofc ;)). Usually though, I only ever really change a couple of words at most -- I make sure I'm at least 95% happy before posting -- or I alter the formatting if it's a little difficult to read, (or I've missed words that need italics etc).

Yep ... I try to do that to. There's probably other people like me that read them as they are posted (and wouldnt see the post edit version). I just sometimes make little last minute edits and post before I chicken out. What I usually find are errors related to the last minute edits. Will try to let it sit longer next time so I see those things before I post.
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 01:27:35 AM »

Yep ... I try to do that to. There's probably other people like me that read them as they are posted (and wouldnt see the post edit version). I just sometimes make little last minute edits and post before I chicken out. What I usually find are errors related to the last minute edits. Will try to let it sit longer next time so I see those things before I post.

Wait, you're not supposed to edit as you go?!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Louise

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • LouiseMaryJames
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »

Wait, you're not supposed to edit as you go?!

I think we're in agreement that it's fine as long as it's before the deadline. :)

Offline Neila

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
I will be entering this time, finally. Got some ideas for a short story and I must be more active here! I shouldn't be some sort of lurking lump.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 10:35:31 PM »
I will be entering this time, finally. Got some ideas for a short story and I must be more active here! I shouldn't be some sort of lurking lump.

Awesome - Neila is here!  ;D
Make Another World.