September 25, 2020, 02:54:56 PM

Author Topic: Chapters 1-5 (Only post once you have read chapters 1-5)  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Overlord

Chapters 1-5 (Only post once you have read chapters 1-5)
« on: May 30, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
So... What are your initial impressions? :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Rhevian

Re: Chapters 1-5 (Only post once you have read chapters 1-5)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
I'm re-reading the book - I originally read it about a year ago. The first five chapters are a gentle introduction to Billy, the macguffin and the FSRC, before the real fun starts.  ;D

Offline WizardofWestmarch

• Half a King
  • Awesomeness at a Mile High
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »
I feel so lost right now, I'm intrigued but the whole thing feels a mish mash. But overall I'm more than curious enough to keep going.
Lover and would be writer of fantasy
My tumblelog on writing

Offline Ken

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »
The first bits introduce us to Billy. Kinda reminds me of Dan Brown books with its theme of occult and mysticism.

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »
I feel so lost right now, I'm intrigued but the whole thing feels a mish mash. But overall I'm more than curious enough to keep going.

Totally agree. I find the style of writing quite difficult. I don't like the half-arsed explanations without explaining anything! But I'm persevering.
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline Rhevian

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »
The book is a mystery story, a bit like one of the Dresden Files books -- but unlike Harry Dresden, our protagonist Billy does not understand the supernatural and is initially confused himself. Mieville is also trying to cram in about as much plotstuff as Butcher would use in three of his books - we 're getting new story threads intoduced through the first third of the book.

Offline shaunesay

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 04:58:27 AM »
Much different than my norm, I'm with those who are sort of confused or having a hard time keeping up, but I am enjoying over all.  I did like his description of the museum while Billy was giving the tour, and the detailed description of what should have happened, what they should have seen, before the jarring of halt of, but that's not what happened. LOL!

I'm hanging in there, at about Chapter 17 now.  Lots of factions to try and figure out, poor Billy is totally confused!

Aldur

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
I can honestly say that I've never read a book like this before. It is quite confusing, but interesting. Since the story is told from Billy's point of view, his confusion is my confusion, so I'm assuming that it will begin to make more sense as I get further into the book and Billy learns what is going on - at least I hope it will!

Offline Mr Soul

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
This is my second attempt at Miéville.  I never finished the first book. Didn't care for it much.

I hope I'm not sticking with this one just because of Kath Collingswood. Lol

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »
You guys are mad. Its kicked off like a Rankin detective novel, but with shades of Neil Gaiman with literary references.i feel like I am being slowly seduced into what will be a mindblowing novel. Great start.   
The Real Powers That Be