October 30, 2020, 02:03:41 PM

Author Topic: Chapters 1-26 (Only post once you have read chapters 1-26)  (Read 5245 times)

Offline Overlord

Chapters 1-26 (Only post once you have read chapters 1-26)
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »
Discuss away! :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Rhevian

Re: Chapters 1-26 (Only post once you have read chapters 1-26)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:01:34 PM »
So, by chapter 26, Billy has been rescued from Goss and Subby and the Tattoo, and taken in by the squid cultists, who turn out to be quite nice people once you know them. But he and Dane decide to escape from their protection anyway.

Vardy and Collingswood at the FSRC seem really worried about the appearance of said Goss and Subby, and the prophets of doom all seem to agree on something about the end of the world. Dane has just taken Billy to meet Wati, the shop steward of the familiars trade union.

Mieville's language can be a bit esoteric, and he does like making his own neologisms, but keep the faith, there's lots more cool stuff to come.

As Lord Vetinari said in Guards! Guards!, "I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'"

Offline Ken

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:41:55 AM »
I'm not quite feeling this book yet. Some of the ideas are pretty interesting but there's a lot to keep up with. We have Goss and Subby, some sort of ancient killing machines hired out by a talking tattoo. Squid people that thinks Billy is a prophet and an Egyptian spirit that dwells in statues.

I found it annoying that so much is going on but hardly any of it is explained. Like how it began as a normal investigation into Billy's disappearance and then it is revealed that there are people who can fold solid objects into unspace. There are also warlocks who employ familiars to do their bidding. Oh and Collingswood have some kind of super power to sense stuff or read its memory? I'm hoping the rest of the book will have some more answers.

On a side note, I was reading this book before sleep the other night and ended up dreaming of giant squids...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:50:00 AM by Ken »

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »
I'm also finding it quite hard to follow as what explanation we have doesn't really make sense. Really hoping it all comes together at some point!
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline shaunesay

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
Glad to know that I'm not alone in the "hard to follow, but still interesting enough to keep trying" boat! :D  I feel like I can say Mieville is a talented writer, but not to my taste, and almost over my head, as I have to concentrate really hard to make sure I'm getting what he's saying.  I find myself having to reread many passages because my mind has wandered, which means I'm not drawn in.  I don't really dislike any of the characters, well, Goss and Subby are pretty horrific, but I'm not really attached to any of them either.  Has anyone read any other Mieville books?  Are they similar or easier to get through? 

Offline Rhevian

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
His other books are different in style and material, but they are also packed with strangeness, and new ideas spinning out from everywhere.

This book could probably have been cut in length considerably without spoiling the story.

Offline Mr Soul

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
His other books are different in style and material, but they are also packed with strangeness, and new ideas spinning out from everywhere.

This book could probably have been cut in length considerably without spoiling the story.

I agree with you on the length of the book. Finished it in a rush last night. Kind of like a kid bolting down a portion of veg the parents insist be eaten before dessert.

Miéville could use a tough editor IMO.

Not all bad though. All the different cults/sects are fun. Chaos Nazis, Christos Siddharthists. My favorite: the Brood and their "wargod polecat ferret". Clever.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »
Ha. The familiars ond strike made me laugh, as did Wati, the original Trade Unionist who revolutionized the afterlife of the Pharohs.Goss and Subby remind me of characters from a Neil Gaiman book. Neverwhere or American Gods I think, just cant quite place them right now. . .   
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
All the prose is superb.Criticise the story sure, but not his prose, the guy is a genius with words. 
The Real Powers That Be