July 22, 2019, 02:52:52 AM

Author Topic: [Jun 2019] - 2TTDFT - Discussion Thread  (Read 1411 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: [Jun 2019] - 2TTDFT - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 12:59:24 PM »
For those who have problems coming up with something, I think the easiest way to do it is with time discrepancies, like @D_Bates' ancient Egypt and Star Wars. Or Dinosaurs and space travel, or 19th century morals and today's politics, ...

And yay, welcome back, @Lanko!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »
This is a tough one.  My mind is leaning towards Hard SF meets Heroic Fantasy, but that could change.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 11:37:12 PM »
This is proving to be very hard. I can't think of anything that would work. Every opposite or unexpected mix I can think of is just OK... I think that's the point Butcher was making anyway, that you can make a great story out of any crazy combination of things.
So each topic I'm trying to match just seems alright. If I can imagine a story in it, it can't be that unexpected or unordinary.

So would dinosaurs and pirates work? Dinosaurs and mercenaries? See, my problem is that it sounds perfectly fine. A guy already managed to publish dinosaurs and knights, so how am I making anything original out of that? Fantasy is arguably the one place where its harder to find truly incompatible/opposits themes that haven't been mashed together.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 08:05:37 AM »
But @Nora, the story can be "acceptable" and "fine" and "logic", it's only when you say the 2 ideas together, out of the blue, that they have to sound incompatible and crazy.

I think the whole point is exactly what you're saying: that everything works out and sounds fab if the story is good enough :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
I don't know how something that sounds good to write can ever qualify as incompatible though. It's being too vague for my brain, I'm not managing to find anything solid to work on right now.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
I finally managed to settle on my combination today. Had two ideas for short stories randomly come to me, and realised this was the perfect place to try and mix them together.

Might even get the thing written by the end of the month.  ::) :P

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 08:17:32 PM »
But @Nora, the story can be "acceptable" and "fine" and "logic", it's only when you say the 2 ideas together, out of the blue, that they have to sound incompatible and crazy.

I think the whole point is exactly what you're saying: that everything works out and sounds fab if the story is good enough :)
This. Experienced wordsmiths like you can of course make any idea look compatible. But if you hear Wild West but with Bikes instead of horses, it doesn't fit at first and then it will be a hilarious and silly story.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Cú De Grá

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
Looking forward to trying my hand at this writing contest, even if it's a toughie. I've always wanted to take part, just never had the time. Especially since the last time I tried my computer rebelled on me.

Good luck all!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »

This. Experienced wordsmiths like you can of course make any idea look compatible. But if you hear Wild West but with Bikes instead of horses, it doesn't fit at first and then it will be a hilarious and silly story.

Experience in word smithing might well be playing against me. I'm struggling to find anything that isn't a humour skit like "literally anything + smartphones". Everything sounds compatible enough and I'm not inspired by mixing franchises either. I don't know, this is not working for me, I think I'll have to skip this month, I'm gonna be crazy busy this week and next both, my mom is visiting and we're finding a new flatmate, so not having the beginning of an idea by now is a death sentence.
Sorry... I so wanted to get back into regular participation  :(

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 04:15:39 AM »
Tough month!

I went with something that I actually enjoyed the idea of; it is bordering on fan fiction so whether it fits or not I'll let people decide  ;D
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline Matthew

• Shadow Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 04:43:37 AM »
I've tried to think of an idea for this, but it's so open ended that I'm drawing a blank. I'd much prefer something more defined.

That said, I'm still working on the story that spawned with last month's contest, so haven't had time for anything new anyway.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 06:10:27 AM »
I don't have time to write this month, but if I were writing this month I'd suggest us collectively putting together lists of things that don't match in two columns

Iphone commercials ------- ferocious dragons
rom com -------------------- stoic mystical monks in a monastery
witch-trial torturers--------- noble-bright quixotic knights
feudal japan demon-realm-- tamagotchis-- neon Tokyo w/ girls selling sake in French maid costumes
Hero's Journey--------------- for a villain
space ships------------------- and fast food joints
slasher horror---------------- in Disney-esque fairyland England

Here's a 3-way:
aliens who made crop circles---set in the ancient Incan empire--with time-traveling Ninjas

Offline Matthew

• Shadow Op
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 07:18:43 AM »
Hero's Journey--------------- for a villain

Maybe not the place, but this instantly made me think of "The Dragon Beshrewed". A virtually unknown treasure of a book which is exactly that. Just think it deserves a bit of attention.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »
About a week to go and only 2 stories?

Come on, I know you can do it :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Bender

• Half a King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 05:12:57 AM »
I'm about to finish my attempt, though not sure of submitting it. Still a very crude attempt...
Not all those who wander are lost