November 19, 2019, 01:24:41 AM

Author Topic: The Stone Road: Ask the Author!  (Read 14688 times)

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

Re: The Stone Road: Ask the Author!
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2016, 08:26:20 PM »
I'm way behind with my reread, only got to chapter 18 yet  :o
But thankfully I already read it last year.  :)
I definitely liked book two more - I loved the storyline of the Wu so much! So if gladly stick and give my 5 cents about book two too.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2016, 08:53:08 PM »
It's okay there's a lot a fast readers here, go at you own pace it's not a race.

Lanko's a speed demon at books!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2016, 10:25:26 PM »
I'm not slow myself - I've read 60 books this year says my goodreads challenge...
I just can't stick to one! I usually have at least 5 books started... I jump around between audio, eBook and print a few times a day.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2016, 12:13:56 AM »
It's okay there's a lot a fast readers here, go at you own pace it's not a race.

Me? I call Raptori a Raptori Bot for a reason  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2016, 12:48:25 AM »

Me? I call Raptori a Raptori Bot for a reason  ::)
A book a day keeps the monsters at bay.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2016, 08:56:24 PM »
Geoff, does it feel weird to have so many people share their ideas/theories about your 'baby'?

I know that some of the things they said are answered in the later books, but was there anything that you thought "oh, I'd never looked at it like that, but it makes perfect sense!"?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »
Geoff, does it feel weird to have so many people share their ideas/theories about your 'baby'?

I know that some of the things they said are answered in the later books, but was there anything that you thought "oh, I'd never looked at it like that, but it makes perfect sense!"?

Hi Bea,

It feels very, very weird... good, but weird. I wrote the book because I wanted to, and because I wanted to tell a story. Some of the things that happened were planned and some were a total shock!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Marbu, a traitor?! I had no idea it was him, even that there was one, till the end of the book when I suddenly wrote it. But it made sense with the way the story was going! I was a bit shocked!

And there has been lots that has been said that made 'perfect sense' and some I looked at thinking, 'damn, that's a good idea... if only I'd...' but hindsight eh? :)

You're right there are answers in the later books about some of the things, not everything though (if I recall). I really tried to write in 3rd PoV Limited and, as you know
Spoiler for Hiden:
,Haung and Zhou are not the most powerful magicians/warriors in the world, far from it,
, no one ever knows everything. Hopefully, readers get to see enough of the world through their different experiences to fill in their own blanks
Spoiler for Hiden:
(I think that makes it more interesting... but that's me)

What has been great is all the feedback - and people noticing some of the things I put in to foreshadow other bits, even where they are just a tiny detail that I thought most people would ignore. I would really like to thank everyone who read the book and either posted their thoughts or sent me a PM... everything is appreciated!

I never set out to write EPIC fantasy, mainly because I don't read a lot of it anymore. I much prefer faster paced books that I can really live in for a period of time, where there are just a few characters I really get to know and care about (or hate). Also, I never set out to write a piece of literary fiction that people would pull apart like a Lit class, but it's been fun to read people's thoughts on things even so!

I've taken on board some of things folks said, ready for any new books :)

In terms of typo's/spellings/formatting... this is hopefully the worst of the lot :) By book 2 I had a crew of people who helped out... which has grown a little further into something called the 'Treehouse' (you might see it mentioned on FB a few time). I've spent some time making some corrections, and doing some re-formatting this afternoon - which I'll check through later on :)

Next up, back to my new series (Urban Fantasy) which I'm working up at the moment, trying things out... and a new Corin Hayes (Sci-Fi) story (Chapter One of Silent City is here (CLICK) if you feel like a read.).
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »
Do you have something like a soundtrack for your books? Not just music you listen to while writing, but songs that you think fit scenes or books?

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2016, 03:54:55 PM »
Soundtrack - a lot of book #1 was edited to Kodaline and Lord of the Rings :)

Now, I tend to use random playlists from my media player or Amazon Prime music. Can't deal with people talking to me when I am writing... dragging me out of the scene. Headphones are must :)

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2016, 08:11:44 PM »
Well, its from the other books, but since the author is here  ::)

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) Did you inspire Liu on someone real or was it really a Mulan-like inspiration?

2) Liu and Gang. Was this a subtle joke with Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat?

3) Is Shifu a rank or the old man's name? Sometimes it sounded like his name but there were also passages like " Haung knew his Shifu would be waiting."

4) You used elemental powers to empower the immortals. Did you also considered at some point using real myths in the story like Shenlong or Wukong?

5) When did you first had the idea and how much time it took to release all three books?

6) What other ideas you had but ended up discarding along the way?
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »
Well, its from the other books, but since the author is here  ::)

There are real spoilers for book 2 and 3 in here!!!
Spoiler for Hiden:
1) Did you inspire Liu on someone real or was it really a Mulan-like inspiration?
Liu comes from lots of discussions on forums and Facebook. Almost all of the 'heroes' are men in the books, but it is the women who make the real differences, make the real sacrifices. There needed to be something of that, something that challenged the Status Quo a little.

2) Liu and Gang. Was this a subtle joke with Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat?
You know, that never occurred to me. They remind me more of Yuen Biao and Samo Hung - in a Jackie Chan movie :)

3) Is Shifu a rank or the old man's name? Sometimes it sounded like his name but there were also passages like " Haung knew his Shifu would be waiting."
Shifu/Sifu means teacher... a title of respect.

4) You used elemental powers to empower the immortals. Did you also considered at some point using real myths in the story like Shenlong or Wukong?
I didn't :) I went elemental because a) I have a Geography Degree and questioning the nature of the world and existence is always fun, b) I could use some Chinese colour symbolism to enhance the world, and c) the idea of ascending planes to the Jade Heaven reminded me of a ladder, this one constructing the world about us.

5) When did you first had the idea and how much time it took to release all three books?
Started The Stone Road in 2012, released in Nov 2013, aiming after that for a book a year. Had a mini-stroke which put me back a little whilst writing The Blue Mountain, and then cracked on with The Red Plains, released in 2016 (that's this year!). In between Blue and Red, I wrote a Sci-Fi novel (which is great) and its sequel I finished whilst editing Red Plains... that second Sci-Fi is due out by August :)

6) What other ideas you had but ended up discarding along the way?

Eeek... so many, so, so many.

I found some the other day that I'd emailed to myself (I do that when I have idea and am nowhere near the computer or a journal. My notes/journal is full of ideas, used and discarded.

Emails like this one (for The Red Plains)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Red

Now it is possible to raise standing in army by taking the heads of the Empire soldiers.. this practise harks back to an earlier time befor Da Long became emperor and hints at Identity of Red.

There are two whole Boqin chapters that were deleted as soon as I finished The Blue Mountain... all about how he came by his powers and his
Spoiler for Hiden:
relationship with the Emperor.

Most of all, I found that seeds I'd set in book 1 and 2, even if I had no idea where they were heading, could be picked up later and resolved. It also meant that somethings wouldn't be resolved... but that's life :)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I tried to write the series from the points of view of two people who, whilst special, were not the most powerful, not Gods amongst men with the power to win easily. I also tried to make it clear that they exist in a world they only see the surface of and, through their teachers (Shifu, Xiongmao, Bogin, Emperor and all the others) come to understand that there is more to it.

I wanted to write a story about people and their families... hence the Afterword :)

I'm just glad people enjoy it... even more thrilled that folks have their own ideas about some of the things that happened / motivations and events. :)

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2016, 01:07:56 PM »
Is the world an alternative earth as you mention Buddhism and followers of the one god.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »
Hello,

Yes, it is an alternative world. I think I said before that I plundered a good thousand years of Chinese history and myth for some of the things in the book.

There are somethings that really happened... well, kind of ;) The mongol invasion for one, but it is not supposed to be a different interpretation of Chinese history.

I think book #2 has mentions of the One God and Buddhist thinking, Book #3 does too... the realms and other spiritual aspects.

There is something nice about inventing your own world from the ground up, but something divine about using aspects of our history :)

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2016, 09:23:28 PM »
How did you end up quoting Michael J. Fox  ;D

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
Michael J Fox is an incredible man. Such success early that was ripped away by illness, and then he uses that and his fame to campaign for change... an inspiration.

But also - if you've finished book #3 (and only if you've finished book #3!! - don't be tempted to peek or you'll ruin it)...

Spoiler for Hiden:
The story is really, to me anyway, about family. All different types of family.

The Wu are a family, with their own internal squabbles.

Zhou loses his family in The Stone Road and that rules his life, he begins again, like a newborn, no foundation to his life, he is confused and looking for guidance, a place to fit in again. I hope by the end of Book #3 I was fair to him.

Haung began as (I hope) using the orphan trope, but doesn't bloom into the chosen one - there are many more powerful people in the world - and he has a family. This is his reason for the things he does, to protect his family and ensure their survival, their future.

Then there is the family of Spirits - squabbles, fighting for control, for growth. One of them wanting to outgrow his 'father' and be independent.

Sabaa is a mother, Biyu a grandmother (doting in her own way).

Xiongmao, Jing Ke, the Emperor, in their dynamics are a family.

Gang and Liu, and their resolution is another family.

And it wasn't till I got near the middle of Book #3 that I realised that is the story I was really telling, at least in my mind. A story about how different families react and treat each other, how familial love is a driving force in life. And, more than that, it wasn't just a story of one family or one type of family - nor about the most powerful of people in the world.

Whether it works or not is up to the reader to judge :)

www.grmatthews.com