April 24, 2019, 03:42:17 AM

Author Topic: The Stone Road: Ask the Author!  (Read 10817 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: The Stone Road: Ask the Author!
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
Darn it I really want to look but I've not finished book 3 yet!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »
Darn it I really want to look but I've not finished book 3 yet!

I hope you'll thank yourself for not looking ;)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
Finished book 3:-)

Question about the emperor

Spoiler for Hiden:
When Zhou first went into the spirit world  in book one, I thought the emperor/dragon would be an enemy did you change your mind of where that character finished up or did you know where he was going at the start? Plus what was the secret he kept from Biya

Question about Liu

Spoiler for Hiden:
did you run out of pages for her story, soon as she was revealed as female the story just moved on not to be seen again it felt unfinished to me
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:02:46 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2016, 07:19:19 PM »
Finished book 3:-)

Question about the emperor

Spoiler for Hiden:
When Zhou first went into the spirit world  in book one, I thought the emperor/dragon would be an enemy did you change your mind of where that character finished up or did you know where he was going at the start? Plus what was the secret he kept from Biya

Question about Liu

Spoiler for Hiden:
did you run out of pages for her story, soon as she was revealed as female the story just moved on not to be seen again it felt unfinished to me

To answer those questions:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. It would be too easy to make a dragon the enemy, but Boqin and Da Long had a rather large falling out that led to some changes on the Blue Mountain. It also created some tension in Zhou's journey, and with Xiongmao. As for the secret, erm... I'll have to re-read to remind myself :)

Also, wrapped in the Boqin/Da Long 'arc' three chapters were deleted from Book 2... and they were the back story to the argument, the main villain and the Wu training... However, they detracted from the story and slowed the pace.

2. With regards to Liu, this is a strange one. Using limited third-person meant that once a character passed out of Haung's and Zhou's field of vision, they were 'off-screen'... which is great, but causes some problems. I have written (or started) a Gang/Liu short story ;) It was going to be for guns and dragons, but I wrote something else for that! Also, it leaves it open for more, or for readers to wonder what has happened.

Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com