July 20, 2019, 05:51:35 PM

Author Topic: Part 3: Chapter 21 to the End  (Read 15675 times)

Offline G_R_Matthews

Re: Part 3: Chapter 21 to the End
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »
Okay, clearly I'm way, way, WAY behind, but I'm finally done.

I really need to work on my reading pace.

Anyway, overall a good book. It definitely got more interesting as it went on. And I like that getting bludgeoned into lengthy unconsciousness is actually treated as the serious injury it it.

I feel that The Stone Road would definitely have benefited from better proofreading and a more gripping opening, but it winds up being a fine fantasy story. Well done @G_R_Matthews.

Thank you... and yeah, I agree about the bludgeoned thingy :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Delaney

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
Finished!

Helloooooo... Anyone still there?

It's been a slow reading month for me but I got there in the end, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I thought after a slow start it really came home strong. I'm looking forward to seeing where the journey goes from here, wherever that is I'm hoping there will be more magic?!?

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing where the journey goes from here, wherever that is I'm hoping there will be more magic?!?
That was my reaction too, I went and bought book 2 and was definitely not disappointed - lots more magic ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Delaney

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing where the journey goes from here, wherever that is I'm hoping there will be more magic?!?
That was my reaction too, I went and bought book 2 and was definitely not disappointed - lots more magic ;D

Yussss :D

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2016, 12:53:43 PM »
Finished!

Helloooooo... Anyone still there?

It's been a slow reading month for me but I got there in the end, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I thought after a slow start it really came home strong. I'm looking forward to seeing where the journey goes from here, wherever that is I'm hoping there will be more magic?!?

Hi, @Delaney, glad you read with us and enjoyed. I'm with you - expecting great things from books 2 and 3 when I get to them. If you're still game, I hope you'll join us for the July read!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Delaney

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »
Hi Jmack, you know what? I might just do that. The Copper Promise has been on my TBR list for quite a while, what better time to read it then now.

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »

As ScarletBea already said - there'll be a lot more magic in it!
I "only" liked the first, loved the second and devoured the third. You can actually see how GR learns more and more with every book. :)

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
Finally finished this.

Overall, 'It Was Good.' I found the final 3rd fairly lacklustre in comparison to the rest of the book, but I think that was more likely due to the break I had in reading it which meant I lost the flow of the story somewhat and is therefore an unfair judgement. The final chapters were exciting enough, but the build up to Zhou's arrival dragged for me, and the dryad didn't really catch me. As I say though, my reading had become very disjointed and I wasn't really giving it a fair crack.

A thoroughly enjoyable read though, and something I wouldn't have picked up without the book club, so hooray for such things. :)

Good stuff, GR.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:54:21 PM by JRTroughton »

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »
Thanks for reading it!

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
Ok, before I read and comment on everything everyone else wrote, here is my thoughts on the third part of the book.

The start of this section (roughly 50%-70% on my kindle) felt like I was reading a new book. I had no idea where it was going and to an extent felt like I had to get to know the characters from  scratch. I did not prepare myself for this and struggled a bit through that bit. For this section Zhou was my hero who kept me reading. I really struggled through the Haung chapters.

So, now with the down side out if the way, the upside... I enjoyed Zhou's journey a lot. My favourite part was probably the "tree" inn and I think I can probably read a whole book just on that. I also found the scenes where Zhou managed to get into Yaart quite exciting, especially since we knew what was happening with Haung at that stage and I kept wondering when they were going to run into each other again. The ending also worked out well and gives me enough reason to read the second book in the series.

Offline Nino

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2016, 04:24:16 PM »
The chapter where he finds the spirit - a large Cat (a panther). More of that in Book 2 :)

Panther? Panther? How come I never made the connection? DUH! ???

Panther?! I also did not catch that one. Why did I continue to think that he was some sort of snake thing?

Offline Nino

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2016, 04:26:46 PM »

Finished! Very good second half of the book, and felt it was a solid 4 stars throughout. Also really enjoyed the Wu stuff, good to hear there's a lot more of that in the sequels. I'll definitely be reading them, once I've read the ~30 books I have left on my bingo list.  :P

Okay I believe them to be alive only for Zhou to lose them all over again.I see what the others think when there get to the end :-)
I've been certain of this for the whole book, except that in the scene where Zhou fights the Duke, he sees his son's dead body, no? I guess that could be either imagined or some other child, but I thought that was confirmation that he had actually seen their bodies...  :-\

I made the same conclusion here...

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »
Ok, before I read and comment on everything everyone else wrote, here is my thoughts on the third part of the book.

The start of this section (roughly 50%-70% on my kindle) felt like I was reading a new book. I had no idea where it was going and to an extent felt like I had to get to know the characters from  scratch. I did not prepare myself for this and struggled a bit through that bit. For this section Zhou was my hero who kept me reading. I really struggled through the Haung chapters.

So, now with the down side out if the way, the upside... I enjoyed Zhou's journey a lot. My favourite part was probably the "tree" inn and I think I can probably read a whole book just on that. I also found the scenes where Zhou managed to get into Yaart quite exciting, especially since we knew what was happening with Haung at that stage and I kept wondering when they were going to run into each other again. The ending also worked out well and gives me enough reason to read the second book in the series.

The 'tree' Inn is vital to the trilogy ;)

In a sense, I hope, you are reading about a new Zhou... a man bereft of everything and having to learn to live again. At least, that is what I was going for!

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Nino

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2016, 07:48:59 PM »

The 'tree' Inn is vital to the trilogy ;)

In a sense, I hope, you are reading about a new Zhou... a man bereft of everything and having to learn to live again. At least, that is what I was going for!

Ah, great to hear that!

And yet, I am experiencing a 'new', changed Zhou.

Overall... Well done Mr. Matthews! Especially for being so open to criticism and taking it in your stride.

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »
I am always open to criticism :)

If I'd written the perfect book, I would be a millionaire :) and The Stone Road was the first book I'd finished that felt good enough for others to read.

More than anything, I wanted the book to be about the growth and change of the two principal characters. I suppose many authors want the same :) As long as people enjoy it, that's all that really matters... though it would be nice to be a millionaire :)

www.grmatthews.com