September 21, 2019, 01:57:18 AM

Author Topic: Part 2: Chapter 10 to Chapter 20  (Read 11642 times)

Offline G_R_Matthews

Re: Part 2: Chapter 10 to Chapter 20
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
Yep... went and found that!

Made a note, simply said, 'bugger' :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2016, 09:26:18 PM »
I've finished part 2 now. I think my main thoughts have already been covered.

I'm enjoying it. I still don't feel too connected to either of the main characters. I have no idea where the story is going from here.

I do have a bit of an issue with the power of the magic. The Yaart plan seems unnecessarily convoluted when they seem to be able to kill hundreds with a bit of magic. And isn't there still a cow left?

And I too have only just noticed that Huang's name is actually Haung.

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2016, 07:59:42 PM »
Before I read everyone else's comments I just want to add my thoughts thus far.

I just finished with part two.

First: Zhou VS Haung
This is the first time ever that I've read a book where the opposing sides are both treated as the protagonists and it is just weird. But I like it because it is much closer to real life. There is always two sides to a story and whether what you are doing is right or wrong, good or bad in the greater scheme of things there will be emotions and motivations involved in it. I think Matthews managed to capture this quite well.
At the beginning of part two I was fully rooting for Zhou even though he was a bit of a drip. At least he was honourable and sticking to his values. Whereas it felt like Haung was just being a puppet. However by the end of part two both of them have undergone some changes or just merely showed different parts of themselves and now I don't know who to root for any more.
Also.. with Haung I can see him going on following orders, but what will happen to Zhou now that everything he lived for was gone? So I guess Zhou is the one that is coercing me to read part 3.

This part also had a bit of a tug and pull when it came to ease and want of reading it. There where probably three bits where I felt 'meh' (mainly the big army bits) but then I would read a couple more pages and be pulled right back into the intrigue.

This part also revealed a lot more magic and mystery and that is just fun. Although the magic system is't really explained it is all fine because it isn't the two main characters who are using it. BUT what happened to Zhou there at the end with the black, white and red and the snakes? Does he have some latent magic powers in him? Mmm, interesting... (And fabulous way of revealing it!)

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »
This part also revealed a lot more magic and mystery and that is just fun. Although the magic system is't really explained it is all fine because it isn't the two main characters who are using it. BUT what happened to Zhou there at the end with the black, white and red and the snakes? Does he have some latent magic powers in him? Mmm, interesting... (And fabulous way of revealing it!)

Now that is going to be a major plot part in the following two books - and actually my favorite parts of the story! :D

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2016, 10:20:41 PM »
This is the first time ever that I've read a book where the opposing sides are both treated as the protagonists and it is just weird.

I'm glad you liked it. I wasn't aware I was doing anything different. :)
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com