May 30, 2020, 09:40:14 AM

Author Topic: [Jun 2016] - Random Wikipedia Article - Discussion Thread  (Read 45122 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
Re: [Jun 2016] - Random Wikipedia Article - Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
I ain't using no Carpathian name! My story takes place 4000 years ago, places wouldn't have the same name, and my little epic will be a showdown between people, without care for the surrounding mountains.
I'm not complaining, I'm just saying Mr.J can't complain!
Wowzers, maybe you're right :P That's a whole load of stuff there.

At least mine has an obvious title I can use/play with. I take my request for extra points I wasn't going to get anyway. ;)

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2016, 01:15:31 AM »
Not sure if I'm gonna participate even though I've been away for months and want to get back into this. I did, however, click the link and got the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbour_of_Tears.

While I think I can work with this, despite never having written a historical fiction before, I'm not sure when in time the album refers to.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:17:24 AM by NightWrite »

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2016, 01:30:16 AM »
Forgot to save the link, but I got Julia Ettie Crane. Apparently she opened the first training school for public school music  teachers.

This should be  . . . interesting.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
Not sure if I'm gonna participate even though I've been away for months and want to get back into this.
He's back!  :)
I was "just" wondering (about a month ago) what happened to NightWrite and ClintACK. Now we just have to get the latter back (and get Saurus&Raptori participating in the contest again) and everything will be just like it used to be.  :'(
 ;D

I haven't clicked for my random link yet... I'm too afraid of what I might get. http://www.trekunited.com/community/public/style_emoticons/default/shudder.gif
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
Struggling with mine. It's set up to write a gay erotica - just can't bring myself to actually do it. Can't think of a plot/character/scenario yet.  ???

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »
Not sure if I'm gonna participate even though I've been away for months and want to get back into this. I did, however, click the link and got the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbour_of_Tears.

While I think I can work with this, despite never having written a historical fiction before, I'm not sure when in time the album refers to.

"Irish family who are painfully separated as their young ones depart to the United States"

right?  so weird how that sinkhole/giant monster/ghost/galloping maurader/sorcerer discrimination/alien causes their parents to put them on a boat.

also, there's this:
http://www.magenta.co.il/camel/lyrics/hotlrc.htm

and this!
https://musicmp3.ru/artist_camel__album_harbour-of-tears.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:27:20 PM by m3mnoch »

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2016, 02:33:51 PM »
Not sure if I'm gonna participate even though I've been away for months and want to get back into this.
I was "just" wondering (about a month ago) what happened to NightWrite and ClintACK. Now we just have to get the latter back (and get Saurus&Raptori participating in the contest again) and everything will be just like it used to be.  :'(
 ;D

I haven't clicked for my random link yet... I'm too afraid of what I might get. http://www.trekunited.com/community/public/style_emoticons/default/shudder.gif

And where is Waka these days?  Another MIA.

This is only day 3 since posting up and we're on page 5 here already, so many funny random links, going to be a great month and no direct points of comparison for stories.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2016, 02:51:14 PM »
 ;D

And where is Waka these days?  Another MIA.
:-[ Umm. I didn't forget Waka, honestly. It's just that he hasn't been gone for months. (Though it has been over a month since the last time he was active.  :-\ )
Of course we need him back to the contest (and the forum) as well.  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »
(and get Saurus&Raptori participating in the contest again)
u wot m8?
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »
(and get Saurus&Raptori participating in the contest again)
u wot m8?
Wuh?  ???
I stand by what I said, m8.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »
This is only day 3 since posting up and we're on page 5 here already, so many funny random links, going to be a great month and no direct points of comparison for stories.
Right? :D
I know I have to read the fairytale stories first, but I really look forward to check imagination on this theme ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »
Are we talking text speech now? You wouldn't have seen Dickens lower his standards , I feel ashamed for you ;-)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
"Irish family who are painfully separated as their young ones depart to the United States"

right?  so weird how that sinkhole/giant monster/ghost/galloping maurader/sorcerer discrimination/alien causes their parents to put them on a boat.

also, there's this:
http://www.magenta.co.il/camel/lyrics/hotlrc.htm

and this!
https://musicmp3.ru/artist_camel__album_harbour-of-tears.html
Alright you got me, the truth is all my ideas leave my bawling in a corner. No problem there, nope :D.

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2016, 10:52:05 PM »
Really really can't wait to read all the entries for this  :o

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2016, 01:09:54 AM »
This looks more doable. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Township_Schools

American Hogwarts, here I come! Although I'm really not keen on doing a school theme. Oh well. Maybe I can come up with a nice twist. Vampire Hogwarts, Southampton, NJ: home to emo, socially challenged kids who can use the force of mind to bend non-existent spoons.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin