August 20, 2019, 11:03:55 AM

Author Topic: [Jun 2016] - Random Wikipedia Article - Discussion Thread  (Read 31330 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Jun 2016] - Random Wikipedia Article - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2016, 06:19:48 AM »
Even assuming so, I would not be able to derive anything from such a list, hence my respect.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2016, 07:10:11 AM »
You could do an Asian film festival as setting and do a supernatural crime scene I guess.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »
It just feels like all these articles have names that sound just like fantasy-invented names ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
Ermigord. What a bizarre starting point for a story.
I have literally no idea where to go with this.
Especially since I promised @ScarletBea a true high fantasy story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_parliamentary_election,_1984

@Jmack, you can always write this story however you want and ALSO a high fantasy one just for me, no rules :D

Anyway, I thought you had to be more literal with the article, but Lady_Ty's link of Philippine parliament to Imelda Marcos and then shoes made me realise that as long as you can explain your connections and they make sense to @xiagan and me, you can actually 'expand' a bit from your 'lucky article' ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
Surely it the voters who decide if the entries make sense to them, If it does people will vote for them
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Hedin

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »
Not sure if I'll do something this month but figured I would roll for the fun of it either way.  First roll was just a list of the members from the 38th Canadian parliament, second roll was a one liner about a hockey rink in Slovakia.  Third roll gave me this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galusha_House

Not really sure what to do about this one as it's basically just an old fancy house but there is a line that says it was a known stop on the Underground Railroad so I might be able to think of something along those lines.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
@Hedin. Fancy House = Ghost Story.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »
Aw man, I got a perfect one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprimis_Pharmaceuticals

I was initially thinking in terms of 'sinister pharmaceuticals', but when I saw their opposition to Martin Shkreli (one of the most punchable men alive), I knew I was going to have to do something fun about that pitiful excuse for a human being.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2016, 03:31:21 PM »
All these ideas are just SO cool!!! :D

*excited*
I'm going to have a hell of a time trying to vote...

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »
I've got most of my idea panned out, after several hours of browsing through all the related wikipedia pages, so I'll do a tale of the end of the Cucuteni-Trypillian, matriarchal culture and their ultimate encounter with the patriarchal pastoralists Yamna culture, through the eyes of two shamans. Will include magic showdowns and stone knives, religious rites and a pack of wolves, I think.

I'm pleased I came up with an idea this fast.  :P

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »
^ oooh Roman historical fantasy 8)

I know! That's actually a lot more straightforward, storywise, than I'd expected. There's even an existing conflict and a protagonist/antagonist relationship in the Wikipedia article!

I'm very tempted to give it a sci-fi or fantasy twist, but since I've literally *never* written historical fiction, I may actually take a shot at that, as the thing I enjoy most about these contests is stretching my writing muscles. This will require some careful consideration...

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2016, 04:49:14 PM »

I know! That's actually a lot more straightforward, storywise, than I'd expected. There's even an existing conflict and a protagonist/antagonist relationship in the Wikipedia article!

I'm very tempted to give it a sci-fi or fantasy twist, but since I've literally *never* written historical fiction, I may actually take a shot at that, as the thing I enjoy most about these contests is stretching my writing muscles. This will require some careful consideration...

At least we've got wikipedia to help!
Look, I ended reading the article about Hudson's Bay point blankets, from Canada, because I read about my pre-historical culture's economy, which directed me to the page on Gift economy, which directed me to Potlatch (fairly interesting stuff. Crazy how little I know about native amercians... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch ), which led to the blanket!
It's 2am! Argh!!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »

At least we've got wikipedia to help!
Look, I ended reading the article about Hudson's Bay point blankets, from Canada, because I read about my pre-historical culture's economy, which directed me to the page on Gift economy, which directed me to Potlatch (fairly interesting stuff. Crazy how little I know about native amercians... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch ), which led to the blanket!
It's 2am! Argh!!

I love the idea of the potlatch. Read about it at university.
Warfare by partying. Very Pratchett.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 05:13:19 PM »
What trips me out most is this bit :

A numaym was a complex cognatic kin group usually headed by aristocrats, but including commoners and occasional slaves. It had about one hundred members and several would be grouped together into a tribe. The House drew its identity from its ancestral founder, usually a mythical animal who descended to earth and removed his animal mask, thus becoming human. The mask became a family heirloom passed from father to son along with the name of the ancestor himself. This made him the leader of the numaym, considered the living incarnation of the founder.

I love the idea of descending from an animal who removed its mask to become human, and that power comes from knowing that first ex-animal person's name, and owning his/her mask. How very fantastical!
Imagine a plot in which a young kid of the tribe breaks the mask!

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »
The RNG hates me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzywe,_Podlaskie_Voivodeship, then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cipiapa_Formation, then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Kent_House, then a swamp https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafue_Flats.

Then finally : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manborg

Count Draculon (Adam Brooks) and his Nazi vampire forces seek to take over Earth during the Hell Wars. A soldier (Matthew Kennedy) is killed attempting to fight the Count, then transformed into Manborg after his body is fitted with robotics.[2] After Manborg becomes active in Mega-Death City, he meets with resistance fighters against Count Draculon. Justice (Conor Sweeney) is a gunfighter who resembles Billy Idol with an "Australian" accent who is joined by his sister Mina (Meredith Sweeney) and martial arts expert #1 Man (Ludwig Lee, voice-dubbed by Kyle Hebert)

I guess that's interesting!
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019