September 29, 2020, 10:36:38 PM

Author Topic: [Jun 2015] - Multiple POVs - Discussion Thread  (Read 23458 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: [Jun 2015] - Multiple POVs - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »
I've never participated in one of these before.  Looks interesting.  You said poetry in the rules, so does that mean I can write a ballad?  I have an idea I'd like to try out...maybe.  We'll see how busy the schedule gets.
Xiagan is the boss, but I think a ballad is absolutely in the rules. Go for it! And welcome to the contest!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
I've never participated in one of these before.  Looks interesting.  You said poetry in the rules, so does that mean I can write a ballad?  I have an idea I'd like to try out...maybe.  We'll see how busy the schedule gets.
Xiagan is the boss, but I think a ballad is absolutely in the rules. Go for it! And welcome to the contest!
What he said. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:25:51 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
I have the weirdest feeling with that month story.... I've got a plot entirely laid out. I know what happens, when pov change, the punch, I've got no writer's block... I just... Am not really interested in writing it. Impressive! I'm blocked again on my wendigo story, so it's not like I'm too distracted.
But I've got no real passion for this story, even though I find it good.
I reckon I'll make it super short and try to get it under 1000 words for the challenge. :-/
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 11:46:46 PM »
Ballad sounds cool! Welcome SugoiMe  :D

Wow just read it, it's awesome! A natural talent  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:49:42 PM by SJ Budd »

Offline SugoiMe

• Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »
Ballad sounds cool! Welcome SugoiMe  :D

Wow just read it, it's awesome! A natural talent  :)

Thanks Budd!  I'm glad someone liked it.  As soon as I saw the challenge requirements, I was like, "Hmm, I wonder how a ballad mixing elements of The Swan Princess, Bambi's mom got shot scenario, and Animorphs would look?"  Not sure how that idea came about, but it worked out.

I have the weirdest feeling with that month story.... I've got a plot entirely laid out. I know what happens, when pov change, the punch, I've got no writer's block... I just... Am not really interested in writing it. Impressive! I'm blocked again on my wendigo story, so it's not like I'm too distracted.
But I've got no real passion for this story, even though I find it good.
I reckon I'll make it super short and try to get it under 1000 words for the challenge. :-/

Well, you do have all month to think about it.  1000 words really isn't that much, can be done in a day.  Maybe if you started writing, your mind will change and the inspiration will hit you?
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
No it's not that. I could write it all right now. I don't lack inspiration, I lack interest. Now that it's all mapped out, it's like my brain feels there is no unknown no challenge, so I'm not getting motivated to write anything. I'll just write it tomorrow or Wednesday. I reckon I'm being distracted by my bloody wendigo story.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »
No it's not that. I could write it all right now. I don't lack inspiration, I lack interest. Now that it's all mapped out, it's like my brain feels there is no unknown no challenge, so I'm not getting motivated to write anything. I'll just write it tomorrow or Wednesday. I reckon I'm being distracted by my bloody wendigo story.
Maybe allow the plot bunny to run away with the story once you start writing? You think you know where it's going. Let it surprise you.  :o ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2015, 02:38:28 PM »
Maybe allow the plot bunny to run away with the story once you start writing? You think you know where it's going. Let it surprise you.  :o ;D

Maybe the problem lays there, there is no room to run away with anything, I've got the whole thing laid out, and it's going to be fairly casual language, so no challenge there either.
It's very funny, because ever since I started writing short stories (for myself) last March with the Rogue contest, every single short I've tackled has been completely different. From the rogue that flowed and was written in a day, and the horror of the tricky April, everything felt totally different.

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Group
  • Mistborn
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 01:34:04 AM »
I have the same problem, Nora.

I'm a discovery writer by inclination.  Give me most of an ending to head towards, a cool set-up, and a couple of characters and I can write all day.  But when I outline the whole thing, I just lose interest.  And when I force myself to write anyway, it comes out flat -- it reads like writing it was work rather than reading transparently.

If you figure out how to solve this, let me know.

So far the only thing I've come up with is to outline looser, discovery write my way through, and plan on a major overhaul at the second draft stage, where whole sections get cut or moved around or dramatically changed.  This is good enough for short stories, but I can't even imagine trying to do it with a novel.

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 04:15:24 AM »
@ClintACK not sure if it's all the same. I work both with a complete outline or nothing but an idea for one scene, but so fare, having a general outline was not really a block because even knowing "The girl finds the man and they stare at each other, she thinks this and that and is faced with this terrible choice and ends up picking this and the end". still left me with the voice of writing, the expressions, the fleshing out, that was a challenge in itself.
I guess here I just don't have enough of an interest in my characters? It's just as precise an outline, but there is nothing challenging about fleshing it out?

But yeah, I mostly discover things along like you do and find it more fun than struggling to find a way to get from point A to point B.

I'll work on the story and let you know how it all went later  :P  same, share tips if you got them!

Offline Silicon

• Tribute
    • Silicon of the Internet
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »
Whoo, college is out (FOREVER :D) and so I can actually write!
Multiple POVs is a great theme for me (even if I try to keep it to one, another usually sneaks in ... ), I think I have the story idea in mind. Been sitting on it for about a year, but maybe this contest will give me the motivation to actually write it! Looking at two, possibly three, POVs for now. All I need is a plot ...

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2015, 11:29:52 PM »
hey everyone!

i found myself registering and playing in this month’s writing contest by way of mark lawrence’s “great self-published fantasy blog-off”.

i’m super excited to participate, so i spent the last couple days on writing up a little piece about danyell (actually a pathfinder character of mine) and his friend horace.  i figured i'd write for entertainment instead of just my d&d campaigns.

i do indeed hope it at least entertains you guys a bit.

thanks!

chris.
aka m3mnoch.

Offline wakarimasen

• Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 03:29:30 PM »
ooops. went a bit over board with 2500 words.

Not sure I can stay true to the idea and trim it down... but I'll try...

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Group
  • Mistborn
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »
Welcome, @m3mnoch

You can do it!  Think of it as a good exercise in editing.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2015, 04:14:56 PM »
Welcome, @m3mnoch

You can do it!  Think of it as a good exercise in editing.

Exercise the excising, I say!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/