September 29, 2020, 09:56:22 PM

Author Topic: [Jun 2015] - Multiple POVs - Discussion Thread  (Read 23457 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [Jun 2015] - Multiple POVs - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
@SJBudd careful there : "There was only route back, he had to take it:Prowler’s playground." couple of typos.

@Everyone : I kind of dislike that we can't like like in the Monthly Writing Contest. Are people really happier without it?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »
@SJBudd careful there : "There was only route back, he had to take it:Prowler’s playground." couple of typos.

@Everyone : I kind of dislike that we can't like like in the Monthly Writing Contest. Are people really happier without it?

I used the likes to mark which ones I read and which I had yet to read...then again, I like everyone who makes an effort to write :)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
It doesn't really bother me all that much either way, to be honest!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »

Yes, personally.
You can use your vote or then the 'voting' thread to comment on which ones you liked, or write PMs like I sometimes do :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 04:18:13 PM »
I don't know it's not spontaneous... If I read something through because it caught me and I like it, I'd rather be able to like it then and there. Voting is in a month, and the forums seem much more quiet due to the absence of likes. In the fairytale month, to me it felt like no one was reading the stories at all as the month went by.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
I don't know it's not spontaneous... If I read something through because it caught me and I like it, I'd rather be able to like it then and there. Voting is in a month, and the forums seem much more quiet due to the absence of likes. In the fairytale month, to me it felt like no one was reading the stories at all as the month went by.

I'm with Bea, Likes can unconsciously change who you vote for
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »
Oops! Thanks Nora!  :)

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »
I'm half and half over it. I admit, I get a kick out of seeing likes pop up on my own story. But at the same time I see the merit of why people don't want it, and yea I think it does influence voting.

Personally, I miss the likes more on the discussion threads, but I'm guessing you can't turn them off for a single post alone so it's a casualty of war.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 12:26:15 AM »
I prefer that they were removed from the submission thread, but I wouldn't mind them in the discussion thread as @D_Bates said. However, if it's not possible to stop one and not the other, I'm fine with it. We can always like stuff everywhere else in the forums :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 07:02:43 AM »
I think it restricts it by board, which means the entire Monthly Writing Contest board is off-limits, not fine tuning allowed. I'm fine with it, really. Likes could sway votes, and yes it's sad they're not here anymore, but what can ya do?

In other words, finally posted in two months. Not exactly enamored with this one (not like my last submission) but it helped ground some world-building I had been struggling with. And rounding out characters, making them more shades of gray, which is what I've been working on these past few months especially.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Eli_Freysson

• Master Namer
    • Eli Freysson's author page
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 07:31:07 AM »
Well, I posted my story yesterday. It's not tied into anything else I've done. Given the multiple POV rule I just decided to take a pretty classic fantasy situation and put it through four different filters.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2015, 09:56:29 AM »
Likes are bound to child boards, so we can either have submission and discussion with them or both without.

I can feel your pain since I got a lot of likes out of the contest boards. ;)

If you really want to reward somebody for a witty post, you can always like another post from them. That's only three clicks more. Click username -> click show posts -> click post not in the contest board -> click like. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Mistborn
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »
Decisions, decisions.  I've now written a cute little multi-PoV story, but it's just June 4th.  It feels like a waste to post it now, when I've got more than three weeks to write a better one and/or edit the heck out of this one...

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »
Decisions, decisions.  I've now written a cute little multi-PoV story, but it's just June 4th.  It feels like a waste to post it now, when I've got more than three weeks to write a better one and/or edit the heck out of this one...
You can always edit the post (until the deadline), we've caught a few typos and fixed them after posting in the past. You could also replace the story with a different one if you do come up with something else, I guess!  :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline SugoiMe

• Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 11:59:16 PM »
I've never participated in one of these before.  Looks interesting.  You said poetry in the rules, so does that mean I can write a ballad?  I have an idea I'd like to try out...maybe.  We'll see how busy the schedule gets.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin