July 06, 2020, 01:39:34 AM

Author Topic: Last Call - First Impressions  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Last Call - First Impressions
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »
This is a thread for first impressions, a place to share your very initial thoughts when you sit down to read. This should be spoiler free. If there is something spoilerish you just really want to comment about right at the beginning, just be sure to use spoiler tags. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: Last Call - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 06:45:26 PM »
OK, I started this book today. I feel like I'm really going to like it. Seriously curious about Scott and how the cards are going to play a part in this story. Pretty much, where is this going to go?

Definitely some very memorable scenes/images in this first part!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »
Yup, this book is awesome so far. Anyone reading this I highly recommend you grab a copy and join in - it gets started with a bang and doesn't let up. Tim Powers has one crazy imagination.
Make Another World.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »
Yes, indeedy. Somehow I ended up starting this in May, though I had to put it aside to try to catch up on Magicians. But it immediately grabs you. I love all the odd rules that aren't explained, things to do with water, never letting the cards hear you, and such.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »
First impression: thrown right in the deep end, hoping to figure out how to swim before I drown, just like Scott.

Feels a bit like American Gods, with a hint of the very first bit of the Chronicles of Amber.

I like the way he's dribbling out tidbits of information that (hopefully) will only make sense much later.

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »
Bit of a lukewarm reaction from me so far at 2 chapters in. There are things I'm definitely finding interesting and am excited to see how they develop, and there are things that are irritating me to the point of turning me right off.

For the positive, there's a really great base being set for how the cards theme is going to develop. It's also really heavy on the details of the gambling world and Vegas crime boss setting, which, if you're someone in the know of that sort of thing or else live around the area I imagine is awesome. As someone who's neither, I'm still finding it intriguing, even though I'm struggling a bit with the setting as names of places and roads are being thrown about as though I should know what they are and how they are situated to one another.

On the negative, I've found the initial action scenes to be more than a little contrived, and am hoping that the story isn't going to devolve into a collection of bloated non-sensical big moments rather than focusing on the plot that's currently piquing my interest. I'm also finding it slightly annoying that the author's intentionally with-holding information for no apparent reason other than to keep the reader going or else give a later moment some extra dramatic flare.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Online Jeni

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 12:07:03 AM »
Well it started off with a bang but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the game commentary, when it occurs. I start to lose interest quite quickly and I seem to be alternating between either skimming the scene or getting bored and stopping reading for a while until I can persuade myself to continue.
Other than that, it's ok so far.