November 25, 2020, 05:18:17 AM

Author Topic: Finished the book?  (Read 12787 times)

Offline Overlord

Re: Finished the book?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Very nearly got a signed Martin, but I didn't want to pay for it really... all my others have my name on it or were ordered directly... I guess I want to get them by attending signings and such - but I think that will be really, really hard for Martin and Weeks. I sadly missed Trudi Canavan... she was in the UK when I was in Spain >.<
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Overlord

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 11:14:31 AM »

Cheerwell

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »
Very nearly got a signed Martin
I have a signed Martin, despite never having read any of his books.

Got two signed Tchaikovsky books, too.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »
Put my review up:
http://fantasy-faction.com/2011/assassins-apprentice-by-robin-hobb

Always a good feeling when you get other people to love a book you love.  Two successes so far with this one!  (and two more from outside this forum!).

Hope you bought the Liveship Books when you mentioned you bought the next 5.  I think its really important to read the Liveship trilogy before The Tawny Men trilogy, despite the temptation to follow through with the Fitz storyline.  Quite a few things from the Liveship trilogy follow on through to the Tawny Men trilogy. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Overlord

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »
Put my review up:

Always a good feeling when you get other people to love a book you love.  Two successes so far with this one!  (and two more from outside this forum!).

Hope you bought the Liveship Books when you mentioned you bought the next 5.  I think its really important to read the Liveship trilogy before The Tawny Men trilogy, despite the temptation to follow through with the Fitz storyline.  Quite a few things from the Liveship trilogy follow on through to the Tawny Men trilogy. 

I always buy books in published order... I tend to believe that authors know roughly why they release books as they do :)

Offline Roojets

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »
Put my review up:

I always buy books in published order... I tend to believe that authors know roughly why they release books as they do :)

I read the Tawny man books before, I seem to remember it was because I read bad reviews of the Live Ships. I did eventually read them and loved them but i don't think it really mattered to the story. But I think the Liveships books would lose something if you hadn't read the Farseer books first  however. Hope that makes sense.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
No. I d disagree. The Liveships are important to understanding the Tawney Men. Trying to avoid spoilers here as cant do spoiler tags on my phone but Lord Golden/Tom Badgerlock's  falling out in the second volume and Tintalgia . . . Does that make sense? 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Noona

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
Finished!
The only Hobb I read previously was the Soldier Son trilogy and whilst I didn't dislike it I found myself having to make myself get through it - Assassin's Apprentice on the other hand I have read almost all of today and quite happy to do so.

I read this straight after the Way of Shadows (just coincidence as to how my tbr pile fell out) and, as Overlord put it, it was certainly an interesting comparison! I didn't realise how dark Way of Shadows was until I found myself thinking of Assassin's Apprentice as quite a nice little story :P

I quite liked Fitz, but then again I liked Kvothe. I'm guessing in the rest of the series we'll see some dangers of the Wit, because at the moment there doesn't seem to have been much to justify Burrich making such a fuss.

Very much enjoyed this book and will be getting the second one as soon as I'm in a bookshop that has a copy (working at a bookshop tomorrow but I think we only have the third one in at the moment  ;))

Offline WizardofWestmarch

• Half a King
  • Awesomeness at a Mile High
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
All I'll say is yes, the implications of the Wit are explored in more detail throughout the series.
Lover and would be writer of fantasy
My tumblelog on writing

Offline Overlord

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 08:14:17 AM »
All I'll say is yes, the implications of the Wit are explored in more detail throughout the series.

Looking forward to that... Book 2 should be here Tuesday :)

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
Looking forward to that... Book 2 should be here Tuesday :)

Glad we've converted you :)
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline Overlord

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 08:39:34 AM »
Have the next few books now - will be listening to them on my ipod whilst gym-ing until I have finished Legend :)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 11:13:11 AM »
Excellent , fast paced and easy read

The fool's great the best bit I liked was when Fitz said "It made me wish wish there were a place as much me as that place is you. A place I would keep as secret"  two lonely people.  I want more Fool to read with his chamber with the doll and his visions of the future, I  guess that why he seems to read people's mind

I didn't expect Fitz to accidentally poison the  Prince Rurisk  came as a complete shock to me a brilliant scene

Yay Fitz used the skill at last just when he needed it most :D

Another shock Nosy back only to die heroically saving Fitz, I really believed that Burrich had him killed at the start of the novel  (Stop killing Fitz's dogs off Hobb  ;))

Galen died too fast for me I wanted him to be humiliated and exiled from court instead

Still don't get why the wit is frowned upon yet no one frowns at people using the Skill. Both are magic, both can destroy the user if used too much

What are the red ship raiders up too with the forged?

The only thing I didn't quite believe was lady Patience as a tattooist 

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 01:04:46 PM »
Future books explain why the wit is so detested.  Glad Glad you enjoyed the book. It really is a a classic and future books in the series just get better and better.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
The only thing I didn't quite believe was lady Patience as a tattooist

Funny I don't remember that bit!

Future books explain why the wit is so detested.  Glad Glad you enjoyed the book. It really is a a classic and future books in the series just get better and better.

What he said!

Really glad you enjoyed it. Robin Hobb is an amazing author.
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson