October 29, 2020, 10:51:47 PM

Author Topic: The Citadel of the Autarch.  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
The Citadel of the Autarch.
« on: January 01, 2013, 03:20:01 AM »
I think only I and Arry completed the first two volumes for the book club and come the end of the year I have read the whole damn dirty thing. And phew ... Still very confused. Apparently Woolf is a devout Catholic so possibly much of this series is allegorical.  Basically it ends with Severian flying into outer space to beg the alien overlords to put a white hole into the sun to save the Earth. Will reread the whole thing for sure one day.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline simonster

Re: The Citadel of the Autarch.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »
Will reread the whole thing for sure one day.

Not forgetting:
The Urth of the New Sun
The Book of the Long Sun
and
The Book of the Short Sun
You didn't think there were only four books, did you? ;)

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
I did my research! Urth of the New Sin is a coda which helps explain the initial series but Gene Woolf didn't think it was neccessary, the other two series are optional.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline simonster

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
I did my research! Urth of the New Sin is a coda which helps explain the initial series but Gene Woolf didn't think it was neccessary, the other two series are optional.

'Optional' certainly.  Personally I preferred Long Sun to New Sun, but it was a long time ago that I read the latter.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »
I might read Urth of the New Sun one day to get the resolution that adds to the story, and while I am glad I read Book of the New Sun, not sure I was enamored enough to read the following sequences.  Book of the New Sun was challenging enough!   
The Real Powers That Be

Offline simonster

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:16 PM »
I might read Urth of the New Sun one day to get the resolution that adds to the story, and while I am glad I read Book of the New Sun, not sure I was enamored enough to read the following sequences.  Book of the New Sun was challenging enough!

Well, for what it's worth, my experience was that the first eight-or-so Gene Wolfe books I read got a reaction somewhere between "Huh?!" and "Hmm..."  But then something clicked in my head, and every book of his I've read since has seemed staggeringly brilliant.

Maybe that's just me though. :)

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »
I do get the impression it might just click with me someday.  Seems that kinda writer.  But don't have the time for it right now.

Though a question for you.  Who do you think is Severian's sister?  I buy into the fact there were enough clues dropped that there is one, but don't buy into Meryyn.  Seems the only reason people think that is because she is a witch, and Severian says his sister is probably a witch. 

I think Valeria is more likely.  She grew up nearby, about the same age as Severian, plus he marries her.  And he has track in sleeping with his relatives, he shagged his grandma after all. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:59:43 PM by the_hound »
The Real Powers That Be