November 28, 2020, 10:24:28 PM

Author Topic: The Sword of the Lictor  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
The Sword of the Lictor
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:35:23 AM »
For those continuing on :)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
Re: The Sword of the Lictor
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »
About 50 pages to go, and the head f*ckery continues.  If anything this volume is the most surreal to date.  As usual the plot starts fairly routine, Severian finally takes up his post in Thrax, but called upon to kill a noble woman who has offended the Archon by sleeping around (including of course with Severian) he chooses instead to free her, and has to flee for his life.  Meanwhile as we all long suspected it turns out the the claw actually bought Dorcas back to life from the dead, her body had been left to rest in the river back in volume 1, and with her memories returned she decides to see if she can track down her family - even if they have grown old over the indefinite passage of time she was dead for.  But its upon Severian fleeing to the mountains that it all goes rather time wimey, wibbly wobbly again.  Agia is once again pursuing him with Hethor (an astronaut) and unleash a rather nasty alien beast who can eats people  and absorbs their memories and personality, (it was eating the glands of one of these creatures in book 2 which allowed him to absorb Thecla's memories into himself) he ends up trying to defend a family who live up in the hills.  Sadly they are all consumed apart from a brave young lad named Severian!  They then go further up the mountain where they are captured by a group of warriors, and Severian outwits a mage, and has to escape another alien beast, they travel further  and find an ancient stronghold with a two headed man in, and a giant statue wearing a giant gold ring on its hand.  Little Severian dies touching the ring, and big Severian ends up fighting the now resurrected two headed man who was an enemy of the conciliator.  On defeating him, he travels on further, leaving a cloak behind in return for taking supplies from a shepherd's hovel.  Here he ruminates on the nature of pre-destination.  He then is captured by a group of warriors who take him by drugging his food with hallucinogenic mushrooms.   He is then taken by them across the river with a nubile young slave lady, where they are rescued by the island people who live on islands that blow around in the wind.  He then shags the nubile young slave girl, and now reveals that him and Thecla were at it like rabbits when she was imprisoned by the torturers in book 1, and then agrees to lead the island people in war against the evil man in the castle that holds the shore people to ransom, and is forcing them to inflict such misery on the island people.  

PHEW ...

I am still all so confused.  Will have to re read the whole thing again next summer and see if it makes more sense on a second reading!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:54:17 PM by the_hound »
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Seregris

Re: The Sword of the Lictor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:11:36 AM »
Yeah, those books are one of a kind.

I love all the little moments of awesomeness spread throughout, and Severian is a genuine bad-ass at times.  As far as the weird stuff goes, I think the Alzabo beast is cool, and I don't want to ruin anything but . . .
Spoiler for Hiden:
from what I've gathered the claw is revealed not to have any super powers at all, due to the fact that Sev finds a whole bunch of them on some bush after he fights the giant-guy