November 28, 2020, 11:03:32 PM

Author Topic: The Claw of the Conciliator Chapters 1 - 15 (Week 3)  (Read 4839 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
The Claw of the Conciliator Chapters 1 - 15 (Week 3)
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »
I think a few of us took a break between volumes.  Once more onto the breech my friends!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
Re: The Claw of the Conciliator Chapters 1 - 15 (Week 3)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:13:02 AM »
Where is everyone?  So far the Claw has actually been a far quicker paced, and lighter read than volume 1.  Coming up to chapter 15 now and will post more detailed thoughts then, but love the inclusion of some alien species to urth that have been bought over from other worlds in the galaxy spanning era of humankind, and was genuinely disappointed when it turned out that Thecla's return from the grave was just a hoax to lure Severian into a trap.  Anyone thinking Rothfuss must have been influenced big time by this book?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:53:32 AM »
Where is everyone?  So far the Claw has actually been a far quicker paced, and lighter read than volume 1.  Coming up to chapter 15 now and will post more detailed thoughts then, but love the inclusion of some alien species to urth that have been bought over from other worlds in the galaxy spanning era of humankind, and was genuinely disappointed when it turned out that Thecla's return from the grave was just a hoax to lure Severian into a trap.  Anyone thinking Rothfuss must have been influenced big time by this book?

I'm on chapter 17. I think the read got easier too. I still struggle to find time to read this one. Evidently I am quite dependent on e-books  :-\  Constantly having a second book that I am reading when an e-book is more convenient doesn't help get this one read.

I am too much of a pessimist to have expected Thecla to really be alive. I wasn't sure if he had given Agia enough info to pull off the note,  but evidently he did.

I am curious to find out more about Dorcas' character ... where she came from and how/when Severian will meet back up with her?

I also want to see what happens with his joining with Vodalus. We know Severian gains the throne by his writings. Does he end up betraying Vodalus or does Vodalus get it and Severian becomes his 2nd in command and ascends to throne...or perhaps some other chain of events.....

I hadn't thought of Rothfuss with this, but now that you day it, I can see it. Now if he was constantly running into Thecla whenever the story slowed down, I would have seen it  ;D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »
Into the last half now, where things slow down big time. Seems a pattern with these volumes. First half fast paced, story develops nicely, second half becomes rather surreal. Whether our narrator is wandering through botanical gardens or the autarch's palace. Its almost as if at the end of times the fabric of time itself becomes to come loose and frayed and different realities and eras start to leak together.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
Yeah, I only have 60 or 70 pages left, but I have actually started thinking about abondoning it. I feel bad .... I really do think it is a good story, but I think my hearts not in it and I have realized that I have no intention of reading the next volume any time soon... so regardless if I finish this one or not, I wont finish the story. I have started and finished 5 other books since starting this, which definitely does not help. Whatever my excuses are, this book is just not a good fit for me right now. The only time I have when I can read it is at night when I am tired and it's not working all that great. If I dont find an opportunity to finish it this weekend, it probably wont happen. I have been trying to read a couple chapters a night, but this book really works better if you can read it larger chunks at a time uninterrupted. I feel like I am doing it a disservice reading it how I am at the moment.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
I see not many people gave claw a chance

on about page 490 now

I was a bit upset that Thecla  wasn't really alive it seemed very plausible.  Agia a very good conman/woman

The green man is he human or a plant or a mix from the future?

The bat things are interesting heat feeders

The feast with Thecla as the main dish yuck and his friend a robot that just crazy man  :o

Oh and Dr Talas I don't trust him at all why does he never sleep?

Do we ever find out who that woman was at the start of shadows?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:43:08 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate