October 31, 2020, 06:59:27 PM

Author Topic: [JUL 2020] - Old Man's Tale - Voting Thread  (Read 846 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
[JUL 2020] - Old Man's Tale - Voting Thread
« on: August 04, 2020, 09:44:40 AM »
It's time to vote on the July Writing Contest: "Old Man's Tale"

This time we got 5 entries - thanks to all who participated!

Please read through all of the entries in the submission thread and place your votes for your favourite entry in this thread. You won't be able to see the vote breakdown until the vote closes, so spread the word for others to come and vote! We do ask that if you entered, to vote for someone else.

The key for the numbers of votes is this: 1-5 entries: 1 vote, 6-10 entries: 2 votes, 11-15 entries: 3 votes, 16-19: 4 votes, 20-25: 5 votes, 26+: 6 votes

Remember that the winning entry will be posted on the main Fantasy-Faction site in a few months (I'm still hopeful of getting the access to do this...)

Good luck to all our entrants and thank you for taking the time to read the stories and vote! :)

(still) NEW FEATURE: note that the voting deadline is now the 23rd August, which will leave the last week of the month for feedback/critique availability.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [JUL 2020] - Old Man's Tale - Voting Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 02:03:14 PM »
Voted! I would have liked to have two on this one, as the one I could have, but didn't pick, deserves the encouragement, but it's hard to make it my first choice.

Good work @Kindly for your first story!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
Voted! I would have liked to have two on this one
We only needed ONE more story *looks pointedly at usual participants that didn't enter this time*

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »
Voted! I would have liked to have two on this one
We only needed ONE more story *looks pointedly at usual participants that didn't enter this time*

Pretty rare and unexpected already that I'm not on the receiving end of that glare. I'm very happy I made it this month, this story existed in stubs (the intro, and a chunk later on) but had no drive or point, so adding 1k words to it and making it a whole story was satisfying.
The other idea I worked 500 words on followed a woman walking through a forest in the afterlife, reaching the god she'd selected before death for the judgement of her soul, and proceeding to tell him her life's story. It was supposed to have a big emotional twist, but I didn't manage to make it dynamic. It was just a ton of tell and little show. Maybe I can recycle the idea for the new dialogue topic though.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 06:32:59 AM »
Voted. One of the toughest choices in a while. Some really brilliant stories  :)
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline Kindly

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »
Voted! I liked all entries, and thought the one I voted for was really quite outstanding.

Offline Caith

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:16:53 AM »
Voted. I could easily have voted for all of these, though. A tough month to choose one.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
Voted, and again I could have chosen any of 3... thanks for making my decision hard ;D

6 votes so far, note that there's less than a week, anything can happen!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 06:33:28 PM »
Voted.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »
Voting ends tomorrow morning, it's very close, there's still time!!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 12:38:02 AM »
Just made it in time to vote. Thank you all for good stories :D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »
Congratulations @Kindly , first time entry is a win :D
I hope you become a regular!

I really liked your story but ended up voting for @Caith , I just felt it a bit more.
And I've already told @Nora how her story touched me, even though it's completely out of my comfort zone hehe

Offline Kindly

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
Wow, thank you! I'm not sure how this happened, but it's made me very happy indeed. :)

Offline Kindly

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 12:07:38 PM »
I liked all entries, but really loved Nora's. The main character will stay with me a long time.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 01:10:00 PM »
I liked all entries, but really loved Nora's. The main character will stay with me a long time.

Aw, that awesome thanks! I voted for yours! I really enjoyed the fact it reminded me of the old mother in Huxley's Brave New World, living in a reserve and being one of the last to have given birth naturally. Also enjoyed the fact the twist of what actually happened was the old lady taking on the lie for the sake of a child. This could/should have been explored better imo, for example : maybe in a society where aging simply isn't en vogue anymore, carrying the weight of someone's death might be an even larger stigma? As it is I don't think it would have mattered really if people knew it was the kid's fault. IIRC it's the guy's fault for doing stupid risky stuff to begin with :-p
But I enjoyed it because I was able to do my own mental maths and fill in the world as I read on.

Definitely areas you can progress on, but for a first entry it was really good, what worked best imo was how well contained the short story was.

So yes, congrats and well deserved win!

My vote almooooooost went for Alex's poem, but I still can't make myself like one more than a good prose story. I definitely enjoyed it though, I liked the conjured images and idea, and it wasn't pretentious.