Arnas' Brand - Nora
3 (7%)
The Cthonic Rigors - The Gem Cutter
2 (4.7%)
The Final Days of the King's Champion - J.R. Darewood
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: October 02, 2018, 08:08:32 AM

Author Topic: [Jul+Aug 2018] - Games - Voting Thread  (Read 3801 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: [Jul+Aug 2018] - Games - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
Congrats, @Alex Hormann for a really smart story.

I voted for Family Game Night @wyvern for its lonely MC
Playing the Devil  @Carter for its mysterious vibe
And Final Days @J.R. Darewood for making me laugh out loud. This was my favorite story of the month.

But Carter, I havevadmit I want the answer spelled out. I think I got it....
Maybe in spoilers below? Please?  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:43:46 AM by JMack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 03:36:36 PM »
you evil writer

The best praise I can receive^

So, tell me, in your brain, did he or didn't he?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the story ends where it does for a reason.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »
Congrats, Alex! I dare say your writing has improved a lot since your first submissions. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline simonster

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
Congratulations to Alex!

There were a lot of really good stories this month.  My favourite was 'Family Game Night' (wyvern) which was a lovely little scene.  I also voted for 'That's How it Started' (Jake Baelish) because I liked the goblins, and 'The Final Days of the King's Champion' (J.R. Darewood) because the ending got a chuckle out of me.  If I'd had another vote it would have gone to 'The Cthonic Rigors' (The Gem Cutter) which was an effective little action piece.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 11:05:49 PM »
Congrats Alex! I twitted it for you.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 06:10:00 PM »
Congrats Alex, I voted for your story! And also Simonster and Wyvern, who did extremely well for all that they're new to the contest, they just really impressed me.
Was a bit frustrated I couldn't have one or two more votes this month, and if I'd had one more I'd have for sure voted for Darewood's silly tick tack toe story. I found it very endearing.

Also thanks to the three people would voted for me, since my rusty piece was really on the fringes of what the theme allowed. I wasn't expecting anything out of it, so thanks!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Carter

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
Congratulations Alex. 

My votes this month went to simonster, wyvern and Nora.  But if I had had 9 votes I would have struggled to cut one of other stories. 

Thanks to everyone who voted for mine and the comments.  I must admit I struggled to weave in everything I wanted to hint at what was happening so for those interested...

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Devil wants these sorts of story out in the world.  The more widely the tales spread, the more people come to believe in Him, seek Him out and ultimately the more people will succumb to Him.  So every so often, He deliberately sets Himself up to lose by seeding an esoteric way out for someone who challenges Him.  In this case, the challenger is shown a card on entry.  The implication in her eyes is this is the number of souls she is risking, but in actual fact it is the one card she will never see during the course of the poker game. 

In this way, in the Devil's eyes in His great game of good vs. evil, His actions are for the greater evil.  Except of course, a child is a blank slate and full of possibilities, so who knows what ultimately may stem from Him losing this particular game. 

Offline Jake Baelish

• Soulfinder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2018, 02:57:29 AM »
Congratulations to Alex!

There were a lot of really good stories this month.  My favourite was 'Family Game Night' (wyvern) which was a lovely little scene.  I also voted for 'That's How it Started' (Jake Baelish) because I liked the goblins, and 'The Final Days of the King's Champion' (J.R. Darewood) because the ending got a chuckle out of me.  If I'd had another vote it would have gone to 'The Cthonic Rigors' (The Gem Cutter) which was an effective little action piece.

Gray, Grim and Gorm say thank you, sir  ;)

Btw, I loved the 'Ready Player One' vibe I got from your story, don't know how much if any inspiration you took from that, but it was cool  8)
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline simonster

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »
Gray, Grim and Gorm say thank you, sir  ;)

Btw, I loved the 'Ready Player One' vibe I got from your story, don't know how much if any inspiration you took from that, but it was cool  8)

Thanks!  I hadn't been thinking of 'Ready Player One' at the time, but now you mention it... ;D

Actually I was worrying that a lot of stories would take 'games' to mean 'videogames'.  Quite surprised to have been the only one.  Guess that's the fun of having a theme - seeing people come at it from completely different angles.