September 18, 2019, 06:21:06 AM

Author Topic: [Jul/Aug 2017] - Story Generator - Discussion Thread  (Read 22635 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: [Jul 2017] - Story Generator - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 11:33:59 AM »
So clearly I love cliches because an embarrassingly large number of these elements are in my WIP series....

And my first roll of the dice pretty much *is* what I'd planned for the sequel to my current WIP.  Without the goat cheese, of course.  It's grimdark, it's about a greedy thief, there's an evil witch and an evil wizard, a lot of it centers around a scrying bowl that lets you see through other people's eyes (but you risk loosing your own mind by being overwhelmed by the entirety of their memories feeding into the present moment, and about half of it takes place on a boat. Frigging creepy... perhaps it's a sign from the universe that I should be focusing on my novel...  (or maybe a sign that my shit is unoriginal :) I don't care it's fun).

4 - 5 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 4

4Grimdark
5Thief
2Lake
3Scrying Bowl
4Greedy
1Evil Wizard Evil Witch
4Goat Cheese

*hums Twilight Zone tune*
 ;D

I just think it means you have to enter this month, and yay for stories 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »
Uh... where is this thread located?! I had to go find it in my posts historic, because on the main forum the topmost visible contest is the crime gangster one.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 10:59:17 AM »
Nora, due to the forum problems ( >:( ) xia can't create sub-sections, so this month's threads are on the main "Monthly Writing Contest" section (down in the page, after all the monthly sections)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 12:09:01 PM »
3-2-1-4-2-3-1

That gives me...

Paranormal Romance
Royal Heir
Castle
Golden Goose
Vain
Leprechaun
Dinosaurs

Hm...ok!
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 12:42:54 PM »
Paranormal Romance
Royal Heir
Castle
Golden Goose
Vain
Leprechaun
Dinosaurs
I so want to read this ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:22 PM »
Wahey, we have a story!
 ;D

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 11:20:16 PM »
Was going to come moaning here that I couldn't believe I might end up first publishing this month, but Rukaio saved me from that.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 06:57:15 PM »
Actually wasn't sure I'd write something for this month, but since Rukaio is all alone so far, I'll make time to toss something up. Soon!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »
Yeah, haven't made progress yet, I'm distracted and not really motivated.  ::)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: [Jul/Aug 2017] - Story Generator - Discussion Thread
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »
Hullo!

August is approaching and we still can't have proper boards for the contests.

Participation is really low atm (some regulars write other things, the theme may not motivate as much the second time around, it's summer and some may not even find the contest without the proper section) so that Bea and I thought about what to do with August and came to the decision to let this contest run for two months and start with a new theme (and hopefully a new board) in September.

(Damn, should've made this announcement after the last-day-rush of stories got in. Meh. Now it's too late... ;))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 11:30:12 PM »
Hullo!

August is approaching and we still can't have proper boards for the contests.

Participation is really low atm (some regulars write other things, the theme may not motivate as much the second time around, it's summer and some may not even find the contest without the proper section) so that Bea and I thought about what to do with August and came to the decision to let this contest run for two months and start with a new theme (and hopefully a new board) in September.

(Damn, should've made this announcement after the last-day-rush of stories got in. Meh. Now it's too late... ;))
If it's a lack of motivation which is the problem, I don't think extending it the extra month is really going to be of that much help. It's probably better to just call it a wash and just move on.

Of course, either way, I think it's way too early to make this call. We usually end up getting tons of entries towards the end of the month. Hell, we had 9 in the final week last month and 6 in the month before that. Wait for the month to actually finish before making any rash moves.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 12:38:22 AM »
If it's a lack of motivation which is the problem, I don't think extending it the extra month is really going to be of that much help. It's probably better to just call it a wash and just move on.

OMG I definitely agree with that. Please, if at all possible, not two months of this...

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
I do think that the broken forum (and summer) are the reasons.
If motivation to write for this topic was/is the problem, this would be indeed the wrong step.

I'm making this call now because I'm on vacation from tomorrow until the sixth of August and will only have sporadic internet access (if at all) via my mobile.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 03:26:19 PM »
I do think that the broken forum (and summer) are the reasons.
If motivation to write for this topic was/is the problem, this would be indeed the wrong step.

I'm making this call now because I'm on vacation from tomorrow until the sixth of August and will only have sporadic internet access (if at all) via my mobile.
Again, I really don't think extending it an extra month is really going to help any. If most people don't know where the contest is right now (which I really don't think is the case), they won't know just because we give them an extra month. It's not even like it's that hard to locate. And it being summer certainly isn't much of an excuse.

Like I said, I think it's better just to call it a wash if nobody else has entered by August (which again is not a guarantee since most people tend to enter in the last week) and start fresh. If you're away, I'm certain there are plenty of other people willing to open up the thread for you, if you give them the theme.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 03:41:13 PM »
Yes, especially if it's in this open section, we can definitely self manage. Better have a small august month than basically no August month, I believe.