October 16, 2019, 08:54:20 PM

Author Topic: Q&A with Jen Williams (sennydreadful)  (Read 11444 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Q&A with Jen Williams (sennydreadful)
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
Hi, Jen (@sennydreadful), and welcome to the July book club, just a few days early.  ;D

Some of our Bookclubbers probably haven't even woken up to the fact that we're moving on from Geof Matthews The Stone Road and into The Copper Promise, but I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Meanwhile, CP is a little unique, because IRC you self-published it in ebook form as a four part series and then it got picked up by a "real" publisher. How exactly does the story go?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: Q&A with Jen Williams (sennydreadful)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:00:59 PM »
Oh, so Jmack is already one week ahead of us! I'm gonna join and ask about her nickname then.

What's the story behind sennydreadful?
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 10:51:10 PM »
Hi, Jen (@sennydreadful), and welcome to the July book club, just a few days early.  ;D

Some of our Bookclubbers probably haven't even woken up to the fact that we're moving on from Geof Matthews The Stone Road and into The Copper Promise, but I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Meanwhile, CP is a little unique, because IRC you self-published it in ebook form as a four part series and then it got picked up by a "real" publisher. How exactly does the story go?

HI EVERYONE *waves madly*  ;D

So chuffed The Copper Promise is the new book club book. Always happy to hang out and answer questions, as ever.

With regards to the very beginnings of the book... It's a long and slightly twisty story, but essentially, I wrote the very first part of TCP with a mind to creating a sword & sorcery serial. I popped the first part, Ghosts of the Citadel, up on Amazon, mostly as a sort of experiment really. I had been spending a lot of time writing big ol' novels and then fiddling with them, but the Copper Promise project was something I wanted to do purely for fun. As it turned out, an editor purchased and read the first part (which works out to be the first 10-15% of the finished book, I think) and asked me if she could read the whole manuscript.

Well.

I hadn't actually written the thing yet.

So I put the whole 'serial' project on hold, and wrote the entirety of The Copper Promise (parts 2, 3 and 4). When that was done, I heard from a writer friend of mine that a really cool agent happened to be looking for epic fantasy. Figuring that it was worth a punt, I sent the full manuscript off to Juliet Mushens, who I had been admiring for some time anyway (thinking about this bit now gives me the fear. I was so green at that point, I didn't really worry about what my query email looked like. I just gave it a shot. WAS I OUT OF MY MIND??). Anyway, to my enormous and abiding shock, she picked it up. Long story short, she gave me a bunch of advice, I did another edit, and she sold it to Headline.

Picture if you will, me standing at a bus stop reading my emails and crying a bit, because that's where I was when I found out that my book was going to be a real thing, sold in actual bookshops. Dream come true. Still is.

So. The very first section of The Copper Promise was self-pubbed on Amazon, but the rest of it never made it that far. It still gives me the chills to think that a project I started for fun changed my life in such a huge and significant way. I owe it all to Wydrin and her wisecracks, and to Juliet and her frankly amazing taste in books.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:57:02 PM »
Oh, so Jmack is already one week ahead of us! I'm gonna join and ask about her nickname then.

What's the story behind sennydreadful?

Oh gosh, well.

Waaaay back in the early days of the internet (for me) I was a member of several internet forums (nothing changes) and I chose a username based on one of my favourite films - Spirited Away. So the main character Chihiro has to give part of her name to a witch, and is left with the name Sen. Sen became my name everywhere on the internet, and eventually, on a forum devoted to the Dark Tower series of books, Sen morphed into lots of different versions; one of which was sennydreadful, a play on the old Penny Dreadful comics. I became very fond of it, and it stuck. :)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:32:08 PM »
So. The very first section of The Copper Promise was self-pubbed on Amazon, but the rest of it never made it that far. It still gives me the chills to think that a project I started for fun changed my life in such a huge and significant way. I owe it all to Wydrin and her wisecracks, and to Juliet and her frankly amazing taste in books.

That is such an awesome story. Congrats!

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03:04 AM »

That is such an awesome story. Congrats!

Thank you! ;D I still have trouble believing it happened, to be honest.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 12:58:34 AM »
If only one section was self-pubbed, then how is it that we have the cool covers for each section?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 01:48:54 AM »
oh.  weird.  i just went and looked for a kindle edition.

am i crazy?  or does one not exist?

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 02:10:28 AM »
Pre-order now. Available July 5.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »
oh.  weird.  i just went and looked for a kindle edition.

am i crazy?  or does one not exist?
You're american - you're late ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 11:26:16 AM »
If only one section was self-pubbed, then how is it that we have the cool covers for each section?

That's because Headline decided to release the ebook in it's original parts, so they designed funky dragon covers for each one, alongside the bad-ass dragon cover for the full book. The original self-pubbed cover for Ghosts of the Citadel (made by me) looked very different indeed - it had a sort of giant tentacle on the front. 
The Copper Promise

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 08:11:27 PM »
Congratulations @sennydreadful on your book deal. Great to know dreams can and do become reality  :)

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 08:37:44 PM »
Congratulations @sennydreadful on your book deal. Great to know dreams can and do become reality  :)

Thank you! In many ways I have been enormously lucky :D
The Copper Promise

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 04:37:26 AM »
Less a question for @sennydreadful, and more a kudos. I'm very much enjoying your book so far. I'm up to Chapter 18, and expect I'll be finishing it either this weekend or a bit later. I'll probably be posting my thoughts at various points in spoiler tags so as not to spoil it for the other folks reading along. Good stuff!

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »
Less a question for @sennydreadful, and more a kudos. I'm very much enjoying your book so far. I'm up to Chapter 18, and expect I'll be finishing it either this weekend or a bit later. I'll probably be posting my thoughts at various points in spoiler tags so as not to spoil it for the other folks reading along. Good stuff!

Aw, thank you very much! :D I am very pleased you're enjoying it.
The Copper Promise