August 25, 2019, 05:43:22 PM

Author Topic: Part 3: Prince of Wounds, Ch 40-58  (Read 2808 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Part 3: Prince of Wounds, Ch 40-58
« on: June 25, 2016, 03:12:23 AM »
Post your thoughts on Part 3 here!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:07:07 AM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: Part 3: Prince of Wounds, Ch 40-58
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
Read Part III. It was pretty fast.

- I was right that Sebastian's arc would be great. I totally did not see that coming.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It even brought back some memories from a certain RTS game  ::)

- Wydrin's heist was pretty good. She is so pragmatic and detached now. I wonder what's the cause of that.

About Frith's part:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I liked the backstory. O'rin/Jolnir was nice. I liked how the bitterness and loneliness in him were shown by the names of his "assistants". He "recreated" the family, as Res'ni and Res'na were represented by Muggin and Luggin and Y'gia by Dobs. Apparently he didn't miss Y'Ruen much.

The only bad, unforgivable thing about Part III: Thirty-Third didn't have a single chapter!  >:(
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »
Read Part III. It was pretty fast.

- I was right that Sebastian's arc would be great. I totally did not see that coming.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It even brought back some memories from a certain RTS game  ::)

- Wydrin's heist was pretty good. She is so pragmatic and detached now. I wonder what's the cause of that.

About Frith's part:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I liked the backstory. O'rin/Jolnir was nice. I liked how the bitterness and loneliness in him were shown by the names of his "assistants". He "recreated" the family, as Res'ni and Res'na were represented by Muggin and Luggin and Y'gia by Dobs. Apparently he didn't miss Y'Ruen much.

The only bad, unforgivable thing about Part III: Thirty-Third didn't have a single chapter!  >:(

You're speeding through it!  ;)
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »
Well, I'm done with this portion.

Still good. Getting better, if anything.  :)

Spoiler for Hiden:
I figured out Jolnir's identity when he told that story, though I wasn't expecting him to actually reveal himself. Frith felt a bit dense for not picking up on it. But to be fair he doesn't KNOW he's in a novel.

And speaking of Frith, I found it almost funny that his first thought upon gaining control of his powers was to go back to the mages and show 'em for mocking him, as opposed to, y'know, taking back his ancestral home. He really does just run on spite and pride.

And one little thing I definitely DID find funny was the men "desperately ignoring" Gallo. That line created a fun imagine in my head.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre clan was interesting. Creating a society/cult/whatever devoted to capital-E Evil in fiction is in my mind tricky, but this was a good take on it.
And Ip is... somewhat fascinating. Sort of  childish innocence and whimsy, only twisted by circumstances.

And kudos to the author on portraying a dragon as a terrifying juggernaut of destruction, rather than another day at the office for adventurers.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Delaney

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »
Just finished part 3, this book has everything!

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:58:13 PM »
Hahahah this bit made me chuckle (pg306)

"I'm already dead, Wydrin. Cutting my throat won't do you any good. Stab me, if i makes you feel better."
She took Frostling and sank it into his shoulder. Gallo didn't move.
"See? It's very important that I talk to you-"
She stabbed him again.
"Was that really necessary?"
"I thought so, yes."
"I must talk to you Wydrin."
"And no matter how much I stab you, you'll keep talking?"
"Yes."

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
Ok just finished part three and am still really enjoying it.

So, Gallo has come back despite being dead. I'm wondering whether he'll become some kind of hero and save the day meanwhile...

Sebastian has sworn his sword to Bezcavar,( what could possibly go wrong?) to stay alive long enough to find the  missing pieces of the armour which are literally in the Kane of Kane and his buddies.

Wydrin has got herself in all sorts of shit and Frith has become all powerful but his friendly mage who turns out to be a god of lies may not turn out to be so friendly afterall. I did think he offered to teach Frith too easily when he arrived on the island.

Meanwhile the psycho dragon is still at large....

Can't wait to start part four!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »
i finished up part 3 too!

- so, the dragon god and the bloody demon are fighting over sebastian's soul.  nice.  he's so gonna come out of this tainted with evil.  i can't wait.
- speaking of tainted, damn knights and their bigotry.  tho, even they didn't deserve that.  *sniff*
- wydrin still isn't my favorite, but yeah, her and gallo doing their "shut up or i'll stab you" thing was one of my favorite parts of the book so far.  so awesome.  gallo's deadpan (ha!) delivery is a perfect foil for wydrin's trying-too-hard-to-be-irreverent personality.
- while wydrin has moved up to 'meh', frith has dropped below her as even more unsympathetic, but that little girl -- omg!  i LOVE her.  ip needs to do more of that crazy thing she does.  she's great.
- oh, and wydrin's brother is pretty damn cool.
- NEED MORE BROOD!!!
- also, i LOVE that the dragon is so incredibly, unstoppably, impossibly, uncaringly badass.  i have, literally, no clue as to how they'll eventually stop it.  srsly.  i got nothing.

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 09:24:48 PM »
Yeah Ip is badass! 8)