November 12, 2019, 01:58:37 AM

Author Topic: Part 2: Children of the Fog, Ch 13-39  (Read 5213 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Part 2: Children of the Fog, Ch 13-39
« on: June 25, 2016, 03:09:38 AM »
Post your thoughts on Part 2 here!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:06:17 AM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: Part 2: Children of the Fog, Ch 13-39
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
Damn, the 13rd chapter was just awesome!
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 02:52:24 AM »
Read the rest of Part II in one go. Pretty good stuff, and it was supposed to be the longest part (26 chapters). I love that the chapters are short and to the point while still giving information. I recently put down a book because of absurd chapter of 50-60 pages long.

But there will be severe consequences for the author if Thirty-Third dies...

::)

Spoiler for Hiden:

- I wished to see Frith's revenge in more detail. Also, how he escaped was a bit disappointing. Unless it's not the whole truth.

- Sebastian's arc feels like it's going to be amazing. Hopefully he will meet the snakes.

- Wydrin is looking good, but compared to the other two characters objectives, she still doesn't have anything epic on the horizon.

- Ninety-Seventh  :'( :'( :'(  >:( >:( >:(

You are on thin ice now, Ms. Williams!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:40:33 PM by Lanko »

Offline Delaney

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »
Just finished part 2, impressive stuff so far. I agree Lanko, I'm looking forward to seeing where Sebastian's arc goes from here.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It will be interesting to see how his 'daughters' take to him if/when they meet(I hope), in particular Ephemeral & Crocus.
I also have a growing feeling that Fane is going to make a comeback, bigger and badder than before... here's hoping :)

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »
Argh haven't quite finished part two yet but it's so good! I'm surprised at how quickly I'm reading this book.

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
Ok just finished part two!

Still really enjoying the book so far, baddies are really hateable on a Ramsay Bolton level.

I've also learnt that Jen Williams is not afraid to kill her darlings! Poor Hollie! I really loved her and her strange little house and genuinely thought she had a plan up her sleeve when Kane came calling.

I'm loving the humour and think it's really effective set against the impending sense of Doom what with Y'Ruen and her army marching across the land completely unopposed. Does anyone else third the 33rd, 97th and twelfth really scary? They really freak me out!

I think we're right in that Frith and Wydrin will eventually get together. Dreyda informs Frith that he can only use his magic if he is feeling really emotional such as rage but then Wydrin points out that he was able to heal her arm with it so he must love her a little bit, or really hate her?! Which is basically the same thing.

I am wondering if Sebastian and Crowleo might get it together? There was a bit of flirting until they were rudely disrupted by shit going down!

The concept of the tunnels is interesting maybe they may hold the key for not only aiding Frith to get his castle back, but to defeat the dragon.

And where/what will Wydrin do next? Will she try to help her friend Sebastian or go to Frith on the Nowhere Isles. Or she may do something else entirely?

And is Kane really dead and where exactly did he get his powers from?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 02:15:34 PM »
I've also learnt that Jen Williams is not afraid to kill her darlings! Poor Hollie! I really loved her and her strange little house
This was also one of my favourite parts/characters in book 1!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »
Hm, nice catch on the healing powers of Frith. But he also healed Sebastian, so... threesome incoming! Or foursome, later on  ::)

Thirty-Third better be one of the darlings Jen Williams got afraid to kill  ::)

If she dies... I... I will....

Create 33 accounts on GR and spam 1-star ratings!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 08:49:21 AM »
Now now Lanko, it's just couples everywhere 8)

And don't read this until you've finished!!!
Q for Jen:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Is 33 Ephemeral? I'm not staying at home this week so can't check my book... If Lanko's feeling like this now, he will *love* books 2 and 3 ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »
Now now Lanko, it's just couples everywhere 8)

And don't read this until you've finished!!!
Q for Jen:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Is 33 Ephemeral? I'm not staying at home this week so can't check my book... If Lanko's feeling like this now, he will *love* books 2 and 3 ;D

Ooo, I like doing sneaky spoilered replies  ;D

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yes she is! Maybe I should really think properly about doing a spin-off novel ;)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »
Oopsie, I finished this part some days ago but forgot to comment.

I keep liking this book all the more. Fun worldbuilding, prose and especially characters.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm finding the brood women one of the most interesting features of the story. They are monsters and do terrible things, but at the same time I wouldn't call them evil. They don't have any moral barometer, no ability to consider something to be right or wrong. They are basically animals running on instinct, but curiosity is gradually granting them a wider scope. Very interesting villains, if that's even what they are.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »
Commenting on other people's thoughts, having finished Part 2 last weekend.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm finding the brood women one of the most interesting features of the story. They are monsters and do terrible things, but at the same time I wouldn't call them evil. They don't have any moral barometer, no ability to consider something to be right or wrong. They are basically animals running on instinct, but curiosity is gradually granting them a wider scope. Very interesting villains, if that's even what they are.

Agree with this, as well as Delaney and Lanko's comments. The stuff Y'Ruen's children are doing is horrible, but it's not true malice or evil. It's their nature, and their nature seems to be changing due to their awareness of their "father".

Thus far, it's been an interesting progression to see these strange creatures made for one purpose (slaughtering humans) gradually expanding their understanding of the world. I look forward to seeing where that goes. It's interesting that you can make us actually empathize with creatures that exist to torture and murder people.

I think we're right in that Frith and Wydrin will eventually get together. Dreyda informs Frith that he can only use his magic if he is feeling really emotional such as rage but then Wydrin points out that he was able to heal her arm with it so he must love her a little bit, or really hate her?! Which is basically the same thing.

Yup, totally caught that. I loved the subtlety there. Implying Frith has feelings for Wydrin he may not even be aware of yet.

I am wondering if Sebastian and Crowleo might get it together? There was a bit of flirting until they were rudely disrupted by shit going down!

Right there with you. I'm a Sebastian/Crowleo shipper. Crowleo got a raw deal, and Sebastian needs to have something not quite so horrible in his life. :)

I've also learnt that Jen Williams is not afraid to kill her darlings! Poor Hollie! I really loved her and her strange little house and genuinely thought she had a plan up her sleeve when Kane came calling.

Felt the same way about Rognor. When he was introduced, I thought "Oh, I like this guy!" He's heroic, funny, has a great manner of speaking, and I'll sure he'll be a nice bit of comic relief as he continues with the party through the rest of the book.

Heh. Nope.

As far as the rest of my thoughts, I hate the baddies, which is good. I enjoyed seeing the fate of Yellow-Eyed Rin and Fane (so far as I'm concerned, he's now bloodberry jam). Other random bits I've enjoyed:

Kudos on naming your big bad "Yer Ruin". Don't know if that was intentional, but it's a funny bit of wordplay for English speakers.

What do you do when you're fighting an enemy who can't be wounded? Well, you drop a tower on him. That's just common sense.

I really want someone to hunt Roki down and finish him off, please. Preferably after he's run as ragged as possible.

I like that Frith is a planner. He's like a very grumpy Hannibal from the A-Team. Yes, that means Wydrin would be Face, Sebastian would be Mr. T, and Rognor would be Murdock... IF HE WASN'T DEAD, JEN.

Crowleo makes me think Lost Boy, probably because of his name and general sunniness (the Peter Pan variety, not the vampire version).

I bet Hollie totally saw her death coming in her glass and knew she couldn't stop it, which means there's a good chance that the future is set rather than malleable. Which is always fun.

My prediction for where this is going: Sebastian eventually befriends the snake ladies. They help him find Y'Ruen's weakness and re-banish her, with Frith's help and Wydrin making snarky comments while protecting them both.

Looking forward to meeting Wydrin's brother (just started Part 3).

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
Damn, the 13rd chapter was just awesome!

YES!

Sad and tragic, but awesome.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »
oooh!  oooh!  i'm deep into part three, but i wanted to take some time with a few comments on two.

Spoiler for Hiden:
overall, i love the vibe of the book.  it's like, at first, you're thinking "oh, this is pulpy, rompy, brainless fun" and then, you (jen) throw some crazy, out-of-left-field world building at us.  it's like, 80% of the story is cliche tropesville, and the other 20% is like a layer of supremely satisfying, wtf-frosting.  i LOVE it.

and the characters share this same phenomenon.  at first, we're all, "oh, this character fits neatly into this slot" and then, you go all crazy on that.  (btw, i am toying with making a declaration that sebastian turns evil.  sort of in the vein of raistlin majere.)

also, weird as it is, the character i'm least engaged in is wydrin.  she hasn't turned the corner from cliche-to-cool yet for me.  it HAS to happen tho.  i simply can't believe that she's the only static character in the group.  but, currently she feels firmly entrenched and rumbling down the "chaotic good" track.

some fun bullets:

- the broods?  so awesome.
- the bears?  also awesome.
- hollie is SO not dead.  unless i missed something, she fell off by the steps down to the cave.
- the bfd?  (big fucking dragon) also awesome.  tail-wrap-squishing-ftw!
- the fog brothers?  meh.  i'm hoping the surviving one gets cool.
- i also thought there was a thing with sebastian and crowleo, tho, maybe it was more from crowleo's perspective.
- the writing still feels rompy-fun mixed with the occasional orthogonal grimdark.

so, yeah.  totally enjoying this month's reading selection.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »
m3m you don't need spoilers, people know they should only read this thread if they've read part 2 ;)

A reply to a few of your comments:

it's like, 80% of the story is cliche tropesville, and the other 20% is like a layer of supremely satisfying, wtf-frosting.  i LOVE it.

also, weird as it is, the character i'm least engaged in is wydrin.  she hasn't turned the corner from cliche-to-cool yet for me.  it HAS to happen tho.  i simply can't believe that she's the only static character in the group.

- i also thought there was a thing with sebastian and crowleo, tho, maybe it was more from crowleo's perspective.
Book 2 (and then book 3) change everything, with tropesville reducing to probably a lonely house in the 'ville' ;D

And yes, Wydrin becomes super cool (this is not a spoiler hehe)

And yes, everybody wanted Seb and Crowleo to get together (bad Jen >:() - she redeems herself later in the series ;D (not a spoiler either, methinks...)