December 08, 2019, 08:35:56 PM

Author Topic: [Jul 2016] - Story Generator - Discussion Thread  (Read 27484 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Jul 2016] - Story Generator - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2016, 02:36:28 PM »
You could roll a couple of throws yourself to show up example results maybe?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2016, 02:46:59 PM »
That might be a better idea, if you do the random ones yourself for gifs, then if tweeps give suggestions for them it wouldn't affect us here in any way.
BTW great tweeting enjoying the thread. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
I'm sensing some votes against the idea. So i'll do some random ones myself.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »
I apologise if someone has asked this, but if we're feeling greedy and insane, is it frowned upon to roll multiple times so that say a Wizard/Royal Heir storms a Castle by a Lake with his Magic Sword to find the Wand, where they are confronted by the Evil Leprechaun Wizard who plays on their Greed and Naivety to escape with all the Goat Cheese in a massive explosion?
I don't know what the rules should be, but I'm very tempted to say just go with it... although don't forget it should also match the genre ;) That might work for comic, for example, but not so much for epic/grimdark.

(@xiagan, what do you think?)

Fully agree. :)

And damn, just had the best idea for a nemesis. Unfortunately a bit late...
Nemesis: Body odor (Imagine this in a Grimdark setting!)  ;D 
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2016, 03:58:50 PM »
I'm sensing some votes against the idea. So i'll do some random ones myself.
FWIW I thought it was a great idea, and am nonplussed at the reaction.  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »
I didn't have to google "nonplussed." Nope. Sure didn't.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 04:28:15 PM »
I didn't have to google "nonplussed." Nope. Sure didn't.
;D

It's the perfect word for the situation. Raptoris like to be concise.  8)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 04:33:42 PM »
I'm nonplussed at a nonplussed reaction. I see nothing wrong with some people's rolls being shared, I just don't want mine to be, for the very odd chance that someone ends up using the very same set up, in a contest where obviously the odds of people having the same bones to build their stories are nearly null.
Besides it's such a large part of the story, that it's like sharing your preliminary plot on any other month, before starting to write on it. You'd be loath if some beginner decided to join and expend on your idea, however flimsy that possibility is.

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2016, 04:58:57 PM »
You'd be loath if some beginner decided to join and expend on your idea, however flimsy that possibility is.
That's just it - I wouldn't! For one thing, it's a bunch of plot elements that you can combine them in any way you want, not an actual story idea. But the actual important thing is how each writer expresses their idea - just look at how different the contest entries usually are, despite their common roots.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
A word, like "Doors", "Taboo", "Nightmares" or "Rogues" are hardly the same as "a pirate, walks in a bar, in a grimdark setting, with a Wizard nemesis, a wand and a massive explosion". If we wrote a story along such lines, I wouldn't be voting on such a month, out of foreseeable boredom.

I don't feel like justifying myself more though. I don't usually feel like sharing details of my story process until the work is done, because it feels like spoiling the fun with stuff that isn't reading-worthy, so I'm not surprised to feel like my roll results should stay on the forum where everyone understand that they're meant to roll their own.
Even if the twit said "Nora rolled this and will write about it", I'm still liable to change my mind, so why bother?

Others are here to do it, who believe like you do. Or you could roll one and have it shared, if you feel it makes it much better than rolling a couple of example rolls?

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2016, 06:41:56 PM »
A word, like "Doors", "Taboo", "Nightmares" or "Rogues" are hardly the same as "a pirate, walks in a bar, in a grimdark setting, with a Wizard nemesis, a wand and a massive explosion". If we wrote a story along such lines, I wouldn't be voting on such a month, out of foreseeable boredom.
If everyone was doing it, perhaps, but two or three using the same would result in very different stories imo.

I don't usually feel like sharing details of my story process until the work is done, because it feels like spoiling the fun with stuff that isn't reading-worthy, so I'm not surprised to feel like my roll results should stay on the forum where everyone understand that they're meant to roll their own.
That's all fair enough. Still find it a little weird that you'd share the results on the forum when anyone can see it if it's that big a deal to you, but whatever!

Others are here to do it, who believe like you do. Or you could roll one and have it shared, if you feel it makes it much better than rolling a couple of example rolls?
So you don't see how telling people the basis for stories people are actually planning to write might make people interested to read or join in?  ???

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2016, 07:09:28 PM »
Hey now people, was only a little bit of silliness on twitter, all completely fine if no one wants to be involved. Don't need my presence to churn up stuff or scratch any itches is all. :P

So lets not step on any toes.  ;D

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2016, 08:13:05 PM »

I think it would be interesting to see how close stories with the same choices would really be. I have a feeling that with all our diversity and influences that stories would remain rather origional regardless.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2016, 10:02:34 PM »
Rolled two, one on dice and the other by m3mnoch's automated:

DICE:

Genre: Urban
Class: Pirate
Object: Magical Dagger
Weakness: Too Trusting
Nemesis: Evil Wizard/Witch
Extra: Dinosaur

M3M's:

Genre: Urban
Class: Royal Heir
Object: Scrying Bowl
Weakness: Stingy
Nemesis: Enchanted Animal
Extra: Cake

And the automated version is just too handy! Did a second one and look at this!

Genre: Grimdark
Class: Thief
Object: Golden Goose
Weakness: Greedy
Nemesis: Their Mother
Extra: Hairdresser

:o

The possibilities!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:06:17 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2016, 02:00:58 AM »
If everyone was doing it, perhaps, but two or three using the same would result in very different stories imo.

Indeed that's your opinion, I happen to not share it, nor be interested in participating in a contest where several people write on the same set of rolls, bite me.

I don't usually feel like sharing details of my story process until the work is done, because it feels like spoiling the fun with stuff that isn't reading-worthy, so I'm not surprised to feel like my roll results should stay on the forum where everyone understand that they're meant to roll their own.
That's all fair enough. Still find it a little weird that you'd share the results on the forum when anyone can see it if it's that big a deal to you, but whatever!

The result of what? My roll? Because on the forum, people know better than to think that since they like what someone else's rolled, they'll try and write the same. It seems rude to do that without asking. People not familiar with the forum might not realise it. They might not get the concept of the theme either. I've tried to explain it to a friend who is trying to get down to reading, and she was not understanding the concept very well on first explanation.
Then again I don't see why it'd be a deal to you at all that two people in a concept casually involving 10+ people would rather not see their rolls on twitter? It's not like you can't do it, or others who don't mind.

So you don't see how telling people the basis for stories people are actually planning to write might make people interested to read or join in?  ???

And how is my refusing to have my roll result on twitter going to affect people who might join in any way? How is an automated roll in any respect different from "nora's roll"? Or again, if the issue is so important to you, why not give away your roll?