Hungry by Eli Freysson
4 (2.8%)
Last Regrets by OnlyOneHighlander
11 (7.7%)
The Fall by ArcaneArtsVelho
9 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 01, 2015, 09:29:17 PM

Author Topic: [Jul 2015] - Flash Fiction - Voting Thread  (Read 25835 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Jul 2015] - Flash Fiction - Voting Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »
Congrats to the two winners! (I would tag but I'm on an iPad and it's too much effort)

How on earth did ours get that many votes? You're all crazy.  :o

I actually laughed out loud at yours.   Anything that does that will almost always get my vote.
Haha that's good to hear, never really tried writing anything funny before so we weren't sure it'd work at all.

I voted for yours. I found it hilarious and spot on and genuinely hadn't seen the ending coming.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »
Congrats to the two winners! (I would tag but I'm on an iPad and it's too much effort)

How on earth did ours get that many votes? You're all crazy.  :o

I actually laughed out loud at yours.   Anything that does that will almost always get my vote.
Haha that's good to hear, never really tried writing anything funny before so we weren't sure it'd work at all.

I voted for yours. I found it hilarious and spot on and genuinely hadn't seen the ending coming.
Thanks - glad you enjoyed it!  :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
    • View Profile
    • The Macpherzone
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »

Wow, I did not expect that. Thanks everyone. So many great stories this month, I'm dead chuffed  ;D. Well done Wakarimasen and everyone else. It's amazing how many different styles we got out of only 500 words.

I'm still pretty shy about posting so it's great to get such good feedback. Finally a place I can geek-out to both my hearts content(s)  :D
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »

Wow, I did not expect that. Thanks everyone. So many great stories this month, I'm dead chuffed  ;D. Well done Wakarimasen and everyone else. It's amazing how many different styles we got out of only 500 words.

I'm still pretty shy about posting so it's great to get such good feedback. Finally a place I can geek-out to both my hearts content(s)  :D

Oh, now you have me curious! Both our hearts' content? Should this be we? Do we have another Raptori in our midst with a hidden amanuensis behind the scenes?

But whatevers on all that. Post away! Geek away! That's what we're all here for.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »

Oh, now you have me curious! Both our hearts' content? Should this be we? Do we have another Raptori in our midst with a hidden amanuensis behind the scenes?

But whatevers on all that. Post away! Geek away! That's what we're all here for.  ;D

Maybe it should be OnlyTwoHighlanders ;D

And yes, post and geek away, we love it!!!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:19 AM »
Maybe it should be OnlyTwoHighlanders ;D
But there can be only one!

(Sorry, couldn't resist the quote.)
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »
This here is where I actually comment on my votes.
I passed out 6 golden tickets, and they were:

@wakarimasen: "This time I shall show you how to make blades of ice." So cool.
@Nora: You had me from: "You egomaniacal bitch."
@Carter: What was on the edge of purple prose, stayed on that edge, rode it. I want another sip.
@ClintACK: He was lover a hunter, not a fighter. Whole thing made me laugh.
@Paul birbilas: Not very fantasy-y, but I loved the rockin' energy of the piece.
@OnlyOneHighlander: The great thing is, I can see any duo at this game: Imagine Dr. Doom over Reed Richard's wasted corpse. Loved it.

Soooooo many others worthy of a vote, but hey you have to choose.
Still, a few honorable mentions:

@RussetDivinity: I kept selecting yours, then picking another. Then came back to yours. Then. Push. Breathe. Unpush. Breath. Yeah, like that. Kinda wish I could change one vote now.
@m3mnoch: And another vote I would change? But then I'd have to change other votes, and... well, crap. Great story.
@Saraband: A novel in under 500 words. How did you do that?
@Elfy: I really, really liked this story. It's actaully something I'd love to see turned into a novel.
@D_Bates, @Rukaio_Alter,@eli freysson: Sorry, just running out of praise steam right about now. Dark, so funny, and yes I can see Nora's wendigo peeking out but it was your own cool thing.

What a month!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:45:47 AM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
I thought he was just a time lord with the two hearts
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2015, 11:41:05 AM »

LIKE button!
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 02, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »

Yes, goddam Like Button!!!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #145 on: September 02, 2015, 12:11:43 PM »
Congrats Waka and OnlyOneHighlander! Both well deserved winners (not that I might've voted for one or anything  ;))

Also shows that I probably shouldn't try 2nd person out anymore lol. Least one person enjoyed it. ;D
Must've been one of the last voters. You had 0 votes until the day before yesterday. ;)

Congrats to the winners! Interestingly the four stories with the most votes led from the beginning on.

Only have Tapatalk access at the moment, but Arry will post the new contest later. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Eli_Freysson

• Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Eli Freysson's author page
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2015, 04:42:12 PM »

@D_Bates, @Rukaio_Alter,@eli freysson: Sorry, just running out of praise steam right about now. Dark, so funny, and yes I can see Nora's wendigo peeking out but it was your own cool thing.

I . . . don't understand this sentence.

Also, sorry for being off-topic but I've noticed that when people post my name like that it never includes a link. Do I need to adjust my settings or something?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »

Also, sorry for being off-topic but I've noticed that when people post my name like that it never includes a link. Do I need to adjust my settings or something?

You are part of us unsummonables  ;D
People who have a space in their name cannot be summoned or linked. While a vocal minority we have our place and shall not submit to oppression!

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2015, 07:39:26 PM »
Congratulations to both Wakarimasen and OnlyOneHighlander!

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2015, 08:47:49 PM »

Yeah, I was going fast.

D_Bates - dark, broody, interesting story
Rukaio_Alter - so funny
Ely (unsummonable) Freysson - yes I can see Nora's wendigo peeking out but it was your own cool thing

And let Henry sing the praises of being unsummonable, and I will try to talk you into changing your user name to "Eli_Freysson" with an underscore. Which makes you summonable. Which makes you easier to communicate with. Which makes you cool, no matter what Henry thinks.  8) ;) ;D
www.starlit-lands.com