October 16, 2019, 11:55:05 PM

Author Topic: [July 2014] - Apprenticeship - Discussion Thread  (Read 7590 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[July 2014] - Apprenticeship - Discussion Thread
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »

by wikimedia

This month we are going with the theme 'Apprenticeship' (a slight alteration of Sabrok's contest theme idea 'employment'). :) We can find them everywhere throughout the genre, the two most popular probably Magician by Raymond Feist and Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. But many other author's explore this theme too: Pat Rothfuss with Name of the Wind, Tamora Pierce with the Circle Opens Quartet or Terry Pratchett with countless books where witches, wiz(z)ards or watchmen learn their trade.

This month it is your job to write a story about an apprenticeship. Don't matter if the chosen trade deals in gold, wood, magic, death or soap bubbles but somebody has to learn it. Either at a private craftsman, a guild or ...?

Rules:

1. This can be prose or a poem.
2. An apprenticeship must be a relevant part of the story.
3. Ignore this rule, it's not really here.
4. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
5. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you pick an already existing piece of your work, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. new rule! Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol:

Entry will close August 1st 2014 and voting will begin somewhere around August, 1st 2014 too.*

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website in September 2014.
The last winning entries haven't been published on the main site yet. Apologies for that. Their corresponding posts have been written, though, and they are in the pipeline and should be displayed soon.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!

*I seem to never be home around the end of month, so please excuse if I'm not always on time (which is hard in an international contest with all the time zones anyways. ;))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:45:13 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: [July 2014] - Apprenticeship - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:54:50 PM »
Apprenticeship? That's going to be interesting. I haven't had any good apprentice dreams recently, and the plot bunny isn't awake yet, so I can't ask her. I'm gonna have to go away and think.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »
If only I could think of anything less generic than a blacksmiths apprentice, excited to see how others approach this subject.
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Offline LisaElle

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »
Apprenticeship, nice. This should suit you Alfy, with your YA interest? I think I'll find this less tricky than taboos but it'll take a lot of thinking to come up with a good profession to write about!

Also anybody who'd like critique on their portals entry feel free to shout, I'm all ready to start using that critique thread. I would post a request but I didn't have an entry that month, boo. :)
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »
You'd think so, LisaElle, but apprentices don't just have to be young people. I had to wake up the plot bunny (she was in hibernation), and she gave me something vague regarding Realmspace and went back to sleep. I expanded on it a little and think I may have something, so it's a matter of putting it down now.

Offline LisaElle

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »
So true Elfy, even better when they're not I think. I'm not any closer to an idea yet. More random staring off into space needed, that usually helps.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:24:21 PM »
LisaElle I feel your pain, couple of vague ideas but nothing coming to mind that isn't terribly cliche
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
I'm getting a few ideas for apprenticeship contexts, but not really clear how the situations might develop into stories, where the tension and action will come from.  Might go for a futuristic apprenticeship just for a change.  Apprentice starshiptrooper? 

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 05:46:41 PM »
And I have what I think is a reasonably interesting, if morbid, idea. Gonna require some research, but should be fun.

But that limit of 1500 words is going to kill me. Short story writing is an art I've failed to grasp. ;D
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 11:58:53 PM »
And I have what I think is a reasonably interesting, if morbid, idea. Gonna require some research, but should be fun.

But that limit of 1500 words is going to kill me. Short story writing is an art I've failed to grasp. ;D
Caleb, write it as you have it in your head, then go through it and see what you can take out. It's an exercise in editing, you kind of see what is necessary to get your point across and tell the story and what is superfluous to that end.

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »

elfy & I have this discussion quite a bit - he writes lengthy tomes (I tease him a bit that his opening paragraph will exceed the word limit), whereas I'm far more comfortable with the short lenght - I would possibly even struggle to make the minimum of 500 words  ;D

But I echo Elfy too, in that you should write it all down to start with, and then go back and edit it down to the 1500 words.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »

Writing is an art I've failed to grasp, something I'm hoping to resolve at some point though

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 01:38:51 AM »

Writing is an art I've failed to grasp, something I'm hoping to resolve at some point though

It comes with practice, sleepless nights, and sacrifices to Cthulhu.

@Elfy and Lejays- Thanks. Practice in editing is the biggest thing I need right now. Unfortunately, I think this particular idea grew a little too big. I can't say for certain just yet, but I doubt it's going to fit under 1.5K. Luckily, I have another, albeit cliched, idea. Least it has a moral and a purpose. :P

Eh, I'll probably post the short on my blog when I'm finished. Was fun to start it. Hope to continue that as I finish it.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 11:34:24 PM »
OK I got to be first with my story, a bit of fun which hopefully might raise a smile and is different to what I usually do.

Good luck to everyone else.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 01:01:25 AM »
OK I got to be first with my story, a bit of fun which hopefully might raise a smile and is different to what I usually do.

Good luck to everyone else.

Really liked your's. Especially the ending.

Well, I ended up going with that "morbid" idea, which ain't so bad after writing. I will be continuing the short, 'cause I have a story to tell from it. Won't be long. Will probably post it on my blog when I'm finished. After July, of course. ;)

Good luck to the rest!