September 15, 2019, 05:30:36 PM

Author Topic: [July 2014] - Apprenticeship - Critique Thread  (Read 6000 times)

Offline AzWingsFan

Re: [July 2014] - Apprenticeship - Critique Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 07:44:24 AM »
Thank you soo much for the feedback. As a newer writer one of my weaknesses is to want to cram info in there. Like im worried that the reader needs to know it. Its been hard to cull so far.
Fan of Classic/Epic Fantasy and Grimdark

Working on writing a book. Any advice will be taken graciously.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 12:12:56 AM »
Thank you soo much for the feedback. As a newer writer one of my weaknesses is to want to cram info in there. Like im worried that the reader needs to know it. Its been hard to cull so far.
That's one of the good things about the limit in the contest. 1500 words is for many of us, not a lot to play with. That cut off point forces you to strip things back to the bare bones. Different writers can say things using varying lengths. I tend to write longer work, whereas my wife can say a lot with not many words. She wrote one of the best ghost stories I've ever read and did it all in under 500 words.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline AzWingsFan

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
As a newer writer I have been starting to see where my weaknesses are and I definitely have the tendency to info dump as I feel the reader needs to know these things. Having a hard time letting the story just take the reader. Thank you for your input I really appreciate it!

Offline LisaElle

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 08:51:32 PM »
You're welcome AzWingsFan, hope you'll try another of the themes sometime :)
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

Offline AzWingsFan

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »
Oh I absolutely will be. Once I get my Blackguards submission in. I want to regularly participate in these monthly contests. Ive never met a more helpful, genuine group.

I really do appreciate the help as im new to writing..well kind of and its good to know what I need work on. I do tend to over exposition scenes. I dont know I just feel that the reader needs to know when in reality some things they dont have to. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:06:26 AM by AzWingsFan »