November 25, 2020, 04:50:30 AM

Author Topic: Did anyone like Vin by the end? :P  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Overlord

Did anyone like Vin by the end? :P
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:48:26 AM »
So... erm... did anyone actually like Vin by the end of the novel? To be honest I didn't think she changed too much, but I was glad at around page 400 when Sanderson dropped the whole 'I trust no one' thing :P
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline OneChapterMore

Re: Did anyone like Vin by the end? :P
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:45:43 AM »
It makes a happy return in book 2.

I think that as a mian, she could have been a little less weak. but for her background, she worked very well.
Blog: Onechaptermore
@onechaptermore

I ramble with Lor and The Idlewilder at Rambling Through Genre

"I have within me all the dreams of the world"
- Fernando Pessoa

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:13:02 AM »
Well, I can't say I was a huge fan of Vin, but I also didn't dislike her either.  Whilst I understood where Sanderson was coming from regarding the paranoia, I did think it was a little overdone.  Also think she was a little two dimensional, but that can be improved on over the trilogy I think.  It hasn't stopped me starting book 2 though, which I'm really enjoying.  Elend even makes fun of Vin's paranoia, so I think Sanderson must have listened to critics regarding Vin before writing the second book as she's much better.

Offline Noona

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
I quite liked her, the paranoia thing was a bit annoying I guess but as a main character (plus Elend in books 2 and 3) I thought she was quite good.

Offline thedoctor

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
I thought her paranoia was a little over-the-top as well and a little cliché really. It was also dropped really quickly, maybe too quickly. It just felt like she flicked a switch and made it go away. Not a bad character though. I'm hoping some other characters are developed more in the sequels.
Twitter: @authorneil
Blog: http://neilandersonblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
I didn't have a problem with Vin but I didn't "buy" the relationship with the noble (forget his name).