April 11, 2021, 02:59:59 AM

Author Topic: [January] - Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (OPEN)  (Read 35190 times)

Offline michaelramm

• Godling
  • Ours is not to reason why
Re: [January] - Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (OPEN)
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 03:06:17 AM »
I added the book to GoodReads under the Currently-Reading so that it is prominently displayed and people know what we are reading.

When the February book is decided, we can put that up as a Future Read.
Currently Reading: Malice, John Gwynne; Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1), James SA Corey; Rage of Dragons, Evan Winter
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline Overlord

• Ruler of the Realm
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
    • http://fantasy-faction.com
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 04:28:36 AM »
Thanks Michael :)

I've got 40 pages left! :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ChristinaJL

• Chrestomanci
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
When it gets released to paperback, the Kindle price usually drops to $7.99 (£5.13). It looks like the paperback release is June 2011.

I'm waiting for the paperback to come out then, it's not as if I don't have enough other books to choose from in the meanwhile!!   ;D

Offline Overlord

• Ruler of the Realm
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »
FINISHED! :)

Review will be on the main page over the next few days (no spoilers will be on it)

Really enjoyed it. It took a while to get going in all honesty... It started off really well and then things went a big dull with the whole ball thing and Kelsier visiting certain places doing the same things, but overall I think it worked very well as a first novel.

One thing I am not so keen on is the 'fighting', Sanderson doesn't seem a natural when it comes to describing a fight. He is brilliant at everything else, but the fight scenes were by far the weakest part of his writing. To me they seemed very, very vivid.

Offline ChristinaJL

• Chrestomanci
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »
I was ok with the fight scenes, I thought the weakest part of his book was the characterisation of Vin, maybe he's just not as good at writing from a female perspective, as the male characters were alright.

Bryndled1

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 01:31:37 AM »
somebody remind me what chapters we are suppose to be discussing? I all ready finished but i cant remeber what we are or are not uppose to be talking about

Offline michaelramm

• Godling
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 01:53:20 AM »
We are in Week 2 of the month so it should be he first half of the book (approximately the first 19-20 chapters).
Currently Reading: Malice, John Gwynne; Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1), James SA Corey; Rage of Dragons, Evan Winter

Offline Overlord

• Ruler of the Realm
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 05:48:15 AM »
Yeah, you can talk up to half way through now :) We will say Chapter 20 as I know most people are past that point.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:51:14 AM by Overlord »

Offline Sharpy

• Coreling
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2011, 12:46:33 PM »
Finished this last week and I am still not impressed, is it just me or was the end of the book very rushed?
I will not be finishing this series which is very unusual for me.
No offence to those that have liked it, but Brandon Sanderson is not for me...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:20:46 PM by Sharpy »
"Treat people as you would have them treat you."

Offline Noona

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »
I just bought this book today, and although my books to read list is about 6 months long at the moment I figured I could bump this one up for the book club - I'll be reading it as soon as I've finished the series I'm reading at the mo :D

Offline thebeatpoetic

• Tribute
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »
Just finished "The Final Empire", and I have mixed feelings about it. Overall I thought it was a pretty good book and I probably have most of the same compliments/complaints as most people. I've read "The Way of Kings", but none of Brandon Sanderson's other works (I'm currently re-reading WoT in order to get to the newer books), so while I have detected an 'evolution' of sorts in Sanderson's writing I don't know if my next statement will generalize towards his other books or not.....

I felt like for "The Final Empire" it almost has a Young Adult style to it. Does anyone else feel that way? It's not intended as a complaint really, because I still thought the book was pretty good. Its hard to put into words, but despite some of the gory-ish scenes his writing felt kind of ... simple to me. I felt slightly different reading "The Way of Kings",  but for me "The Final Empire" lacked some of the subtleties and complexities found in other fantasy novels. But don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it! It was a first time read for me and I finished it in about 2 days, so obviously something had hooked me.  :)

Offline michaelramm

• Godling
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2011, 02:59:30 AM »
I don't think that this has any kind of 2nd half spoilers, I saw it on the GoodReads site:

If you were a misting in Mistborn: The Final Empire which would you like to be?

• A Tineye (heightened senses)
  • A Coinshot (pushes on metals)
  • A Soother (calms emotions of others)
  • A Thug (strength and speed)
  • A Rioter (enhances emotions of others)
  • A Seeker (reveals allomancy)
  • A Smoker (clouds allomancy)
  • A Lurcher (pulls on metals)

I would be a coinshot. I think that is the single coolest power for a misting to have.

Offline Overlord

• Ruler of the Realm
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 04:39:48 AM »
Just finished "The Final Empire", and I have mixed feelings about it. Overall I thought it was a pretty good book and I probably have most of the same compliments/complaints as most people. I've read "The Way of Kings", but none of Brandon Sanderson's other works (I'm currently re-reading WoT in order to get to the newer books), so while I have detected an 'evolution' of sorts in Sanderson's writing I don't know if my next statement will generalize towards his other books or not.....

I felt like for "The Final Empire" it almost has a Young Adult style to it. Does anyone else feel that way? It's not intended as a complaint really, because I still thought the book was pretty good. Its hard to put into words, but despite some of the gory-ish scenes his writing felt kind of ... simple to me. I felt slightly different reading "The Way of Kings",  but for me "The Final Empire" lacked some of the subtleties and complexities found in other fantasy novels. But don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it! It was a first time read for me and I finished it in about 2 days, so obviously something had hooked me.  :)

Yeah I must say I am mixed now I've finished. The ending was a bit... eck... and the characters were a bit... well... eck... too. I mean, when I compare it to say; Night Angel Trilogy - the characters just don't compare, Painted Man - No where near as well paced, the fight scenes were so, so vivid too.

Things I did like; The writing style was fantastic, the 'image' of the Lord Ruler was great, the magic system, the explanation of the magic system, the contrast of the levels of nobility, etc. I think it was a very good story that was perhaps told in a rather 'weak' way... saying that, Brandon Sanderson was a relatively new author when he wrote this book and from what I have heard his work only gets better.

I will certainly finish the series, but I'm gonna give it 5-6 months... I can't take another dose of Vin paranoia right now ;)

I would be a Lurcher I think...

Offline ChristinaJL

• Chrestomanci
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »

Yeah I must say I am mixed now I've finished. The ending was a bit... eck... and the characters were a bit... well... eck... too. I mean, when I compare it to say; Night Angel Trilogy - the characters just don't compare, Painted Man - No where near as well paced, the fight scenes were so, so vivid too.

Things I did like; The writing style was fantastic, the 'image' of the Lord Ruler was great, the magic system, the explanation of the magic system, the contrast of the levels of nobility, etc. I think it was a very good story that was perhaps told in a rather 'weak' way... saying that, Brandon Sanderson was a relatively new author when he wrote this book and from what I have heard his work only gets better.

I will certainly finish the series, but I'm gonna give it 5-6 months... I can't take another dose of Vin paranoia right now ;)

That's pretty much exactly what I thought too.  I'll read Way of Kings before I finish off the trilogy I think. 

Offline AlexEatsBooks

• Night Angel
  • Fighting for the Users
    • AlexEatsBooks
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »
I don't know. I'm almost finished with part 3 and I'm still really enjoying it. I'm curious to see where this plot with Elend and his cronies go. Vin is becoming slightly less annoying ^.^
Even if it's remembered, a dream is just a dream.
Book Blog: http://www.alexeatsbooks.blogspot.com