March 21, 2019, 08:08:02 AM

Author Topic: [Jan 2019] - AIR - Discussion Thread  (Read 1881 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[Jan 2019] - AIR - Discussion Thread
« on: January 01, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »
Air

Diving Suit by SolFar

We had Fire and Water already, so here's another element. It's easy to see the power in those two elements. Air is more subtle and most of the time you don't think about it. A bit like your heart. It's seldom on your mind as long as it works as it should...

This prompt is open to fantasy and science fictional stories.

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. Air has to play an important role in your story.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.
Bonus rule: We consider voting in a contest you're taking part in a given. Others take time and effort to read the stories - you should do the same. A small community like ours lives from reciprocity and this contest needs stories as much as votes. 

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close January 31st/February 1st, 2019 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Jan 2019] - AIR - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 01:15:09 AM »
I won water, and I don't think I was around for fire, so I feel some self inflicted pressure to make this a good one...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:45:21 AM »
Oohh, I’m already looking forward to reading these and getting stuck in to writing one!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 04:16:52 PM »
I was one of the winners for Fire, so I might try and replicate that success with another story that's not quite as dark as my usual fare.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »
Well I sat down to write something for Air, and this is what came out.
No air, and it's actually not even fantasy.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Claudio looked out the window of the back room of the shop. As a child he remembered thinking of this backwater town as the pinnacle civilization because the roofs were wooden, not thatch, because people walked on floorboards instead of dirt. How naive he had been! He touched the collar of his camouflage uniform absently. The military had taken him places he’d never imagined, why had it brought him back here, so close to his home?

“Claudio! Get away from that window and come celebrate!” Behind him, Raúl did another line of coke. The shopkeeper’s desk was a mess of white powder and stray papers, thanks to their altercation. Several kilos were stacked on one side of the desk, some of the packages splattered with the shopkeeper’s blood. “They may be Communists, but I will say this-- they make excellent cocaine.”

Claudio frowned as he looked at the shopkeeper, dead at the foot of his own desk.

“What’s wrong with you?” Raúl furrowed his brow. He swept his arm around the desk. “This is all ours now. We’ve taken over cocaine production in half of the Amazon. The rebels won’t last much longer. It’s almost like you’ve forgotten we’re winning.”

“I’m sorry Raúl,” Claudio put his hand on his best friend’s shoulder. Raúl had befriended him when he was first taken from his village. Shown him the ropes. Saved his life more than once. Taken him to lose his virginity with women who respected men with guns. Shown him how to take what was his: food, extra cash, someone’s watch or phone-- the privileges of being a military man. Had it really only been three years? It felt like an eternity, like another life. He was a different person now. He was seventeen. The military had made him a man.

Claudio’s thoughts were interrupted as the door burst open. In an instant his weapon was ready. A middle aged woman stood in the doorway, shock in her eyes. Claudio hoped she would flee, but instead she fell to her knees, touching the face of the murdered shopkeep. “Leo-- oh god, oh god-- Leo!” her face twisted in agony.

She looked up at the pair in rage. “You bastards! How could you? Pigs! He was an old man--” her words caught in her throat. “I-I know you….  You’re Kwa--”

Claudio pulled the trigger. She collapsed in a heap over her father, before he even realized what he had done.

Kwaru, she was going to say. His savage name, before Raúl gave him a proper Colombian one. Had he meant to kill her? His jaw set resolutely. He wasn’t Kwaru, he was Claudio.

Raúl patted his friend on the shoulder. “Now you’re learning! Rebel women will only make rebel babies.”

“Sh!” Claudio lifted his finger. The woman’s blood drained into the floorboards, with a slow and deliberate drip.  Floorboards did not drip. “There’s a cellar.” Houses here did not have cellars.

Raúl moved the elderly shopkeep with a solid kick.  “Fuck me-- there’s a trap door!”

The two lifted the latch, and Raúl drew his flashlight.  Wooden stairs descended down to darkness.  Crouched into a prowl, the two made their way down the stairs, weapons drawn.

Three children huddled together, muffling their sobs in each other’s shirts.  Three children and one guerilla. Lanky and short, the rebels fatigues fit loosely. He was probably thirteen at the most. He wielded the rifle clumbsily, shaking as he pointed it at the two soldiers.

“Drop your weapon!” Claudio commanded.

The boy just stood there, dumbfounded, staring at Claudio’s face.

“I said drop it!”

The boy didn’t move.  His eyes were wide, and his jaw slack. The rifle shaking even more. Was he going to shoot?

With a bang, Claudio ended the boy’s confusion.  The children screamed as the rebel’s chest exploded. The shot to the heart had sprayed bone and blood on the wall. The guerrilla slumped lifelessly against the red mess.

“That’s enough!” Raúl commanded.

Their sobs continued, if more subdued.

“Learn this lesson, if you want to live,” Raúl continued. “Rebellion ends only in death. Be glad you got this warning.”

One of the children came forward. He must have been nine. “It’s your fault he joined.”

Raúl snorted. Claudio had seen him kill children before. “My fault?” Raúl asked in amusement.

“You take people,” the child said angrily, “From the villages. The children that can’t run fast enough from your trucks. He only joined because you took his older brother.”

Claudio frowned. He studied the dead rebel’s face. The contours of his jaw. The shape of his eyes. Tried to imagine what he would have looked like three years ago.

Raúl hefted his gun and pointed it at the child. “Like I said, rebel mothers make rebel babies.”

The child continued: “Kill me if you want. Just don’t take me like you took Kwaru.”

Claudio’s blood ran cold. “Raul, that’s enough.”

“What do you mean, that's enough?”

Claudio’s eyes never left his dead brother’s face. “There’s no need." Claudio's voice was emotionless. Factual. "Like you said, we’re winning.”
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:03:38 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline Cell18

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 05:51:43 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed just writing last month.  Needed something to focus on and the Gift theme was one I could not avoid!

Just finished rough draft of this months!  Should be up soon.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 11:52:58 PM »
@J.R. Darewood: Maybe you need to write about the real world, though I’m not sure you or we could take the pain.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »
I have an idea :-) just need to work the kinks out of it.  I think it may be slightly more sci-fi than fantasy at the moment. But working on that!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
I have an idea :-) just need to work the kinks out of it.  I think it may be slightly more sci-fi than fantasy at the moment. But working on that!

SF is totally acceptable.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Jake Baelish

• Soulfinder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 02:59:37 AM »
Well I sat down to write something for Air, and this is what came out.
No air, and it's actually not even fantasy.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Claudio looked out the window of the back room of the shop. As a child he remembered thinking of this backwater town as the pinnacle civilization because the roofs were wooden, not thatch, because people walked on floorboards instead of dirt. How naive he had been! He touched the collar of his camouflage uniform absently. The military had taken him places he’d never imagined, why had it brought him back here, so close to his home?

“Claudio! Get away from that window and come celebrate!” Behind him, Raúl did another line of coke. The shopkeeper’s desk was a mess of white powder and stray papers, thanks to their altercation. Several kilos were stacked on one side of the desk, some of the packages splattered with the shopkeeper’s blood. “They may be Communists, but I will say this-- they make excellent cocaine.”

Claudio frowned as he looked at the shopkeeper, dead at the foot of his own desk.

“What’s wrong with you?” Raúl furrowed his brow. He swept his arm around the desk. “This is all ours now. We’ve taken over cocaine production in half of the Amazon. The rebels won’t last much longer. It’s almost like you’ve forgotten we’re winning.”

“I’m sorry Raúl,” Claudio put his hand on his best friend’s shoulder. Raúl had befriended him when he was first taken from his village. Shown him the ropes. Saved his life more than once. Taken him to lose his virginity with women who respected men with guns. Shown him how to take what was his: food, extra cash, someone’s watch or phone-- the privileges of being a military man. Had it really only been three years? It felt like an eternity, like another life. He was a different person now. He was seventeen. The military had made him a man.

Claudio’s thoughts were interrupted as the door burst open. In an instant his weapon was ready. A middle aged woman stood in the doorway, shock in her eyes. Claudio hoped she would flee, but instead she fell to her knees, touching the face of the murdered shopkeep. “Leo-- oh god, oh god-- Leo!” her face twisted in agony.

She looked up at the pair in rage. “You bastards! How could you? Pigs! He was an old man--” her words caught in her throat. “I-I know you….  You’re Kwa--”

Claudio pulled the trigger. She collapsed in a heap over her father, before he even realized what he had done.

Kwaru, she was going to say. His savage name, before Raúl gave him a proper Colombian one. Had he meant to kill her? His jaw set resolutely. He wasn’t Kwaru, he was Claudio.

Raúl patted his friend on the shoulder. “Now you’re learning! Rebel women will only make rebel babies.”

“Sh!” Claudio lifted his finger. The woman’s blood drained into the floorboards, with a slow and deliberate drip.  Floorboards did not drip. “There’s a cellar.” Houses here did not have cellars.

Raúl moved the elderly shopkeep with a solid kick.  “Fuck me-- there’s a trap door!”

The two lifted the latch, and Raúl drew his flashlight.  Wooden stairs descended down to darkness.  Crouched into a prowl, the two made their way down the stairs, weapons drawn.

Three children huddled together, muffling their sobs in each other’s shirts.  Three children and one guerilla. Lanky and short, the rebels fatigues fit loosely. He was probably thirteen at the most. He wielded the rifle clumbsily, shaking as he pointed it at the two soldiers.

“Drop your weapon!” Claudio commanded.

The boy just stood there, dumbfounded, staring at Claudio’s face.

“I said drop it!”

The boy didn’t move.  His eyes were wide, and his jaw slack. The rifle shaking even more. Was he going to shoot?

With a bang, Claudio ended the boy’s confusion.  The children screamed as the rebel’s chest exploded. The shot to the heart had sprayed bone and blood on the wall. The guerrilla slumped lifelessly against the red mess.

“That’s enough!” Raúl commanded.

Their sobs continued, if more subdued.

“Learn this lesson, if you want to live,” Raúl continued. “Rebellion ends only in death. Be glad you got this warning.”

One of the children came forward. He must have been nine. “It’s your fault he joined.”

Raúl snorted. Claudio had seen him kill children before. “My fault?” Raúl asked in amusement.

“You take people,” the child said angrily, “From the villages. The children that can’t run fast enough from your trucks. He only joined because you took his older brother.”

Raúl hefted his gun and pointed it at the child. “Like I said, rebel mothers make rebel babies.”

Claudio frowned. He studied the dead rebel’s face. The contours of his jaw. The shape of his eyes. Tried to imagine what he would have looked like three years ago.

The child continued: “Kill me if you want. Just don’t take me like you took Kwaru.”

Claudio’s blood ran cold. “Raul, that’s enough.”

“What do you mean, that's enough?”

Claudio’s eyes never left his dead brother’s face. “There’s no need." Claudio's voice was emotionless. Factual. "Like you said, we’re winning.”

Wow. It hurts cause it's so real. I imagine so many similar stories in so many places  :'(

Shame we don't have a contest for randoms stories for the month  :o

In the mean time I am pretty much clutching at air in want of finding an idea I like enough to actually write so far this month.

I have a few, and if need be I'll grind one of those out. But I'd prefer better than that  :-\
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline ryanmcgowan

• Soulfinder
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Ryan McGowan on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
I’m finally back home where I belong.

This week I’ll be locking myself in a little wooden cabin sandwiched between mountains the banks of Loch Tay with nothing but a fine whiskey and writing time on my hands, bring on this weeks submission  :)

It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 05:04:56 AM »
Air is a really challenging theme.
Can next month be PNR erotica? I feel like that would be much easier.

Offline Slaykomimi

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
Air is a really challenging theme.

good recommendation, would want that too.

Aynway, I discarded about 2 or 3 story ideas allready and start to run out of time to think about, but I am sure I will manage to write something decent about this topic  :D
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
    • View Profile
    • The Macpherzone
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
New year, new theme, new socks from mum for Christmas, let's do this.
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 08:36:50 PM »
Sorry, we're not doing themes twice. :-/
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)