January 21, 2021, 10:39:10 AM

Author Topic: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Voting Thread  (Read 28295 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Voting Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »
Congrats god emperor, a well deserved win! I voted for all top peeps this month, you, m3m, teb and Rukaio.

This long time record low convinces me more than ever to stay clear of hopeful stories. More sad stuff incoming!

I'll open the critique thread.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »
Congrats @Jmack! And thanks to whoever gave me the pity vote for my shitty entry hahaha. I was close to removing it from the contest altogether.  ;D

I voted for @tebakutis's Gaia's Child, but my favourite story BY FAR was Troll's End by...Anonymous  >:( It stood out to me as one of the best stories I've seen in the contest since I've been here, so whoever it was...REVEAL YOURSELF TO ME NOW!...  ::)
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
Congratulations @Jmack, great story
@Anon, wrote my favorite story this month, while  @gennerik @Rukaio_Alter and @LightRunner gave more terrific stories and got my other votes.
Pleased so many people trying out stories despite  comments they didn't read urban or thought it was mainly PR ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
Woo hoo! You are killing it on these contests, @Jmack! Now finish that first novel, get yourself and agent, and get something published. :)

There were so many good stories this month I had more than I could pick, so my votes went to those I subjectively liked the most, as follows.

@m3mnoch got a vote for "Demon-X", purely because I'm a sucker for demon hunters vs demons (that's why I liked Supernatural) and because I *loved* the twist. Being half-human (which had always made the protagonist a laughing stock), as it turns out, also made him immune to all the normal demon-killing methods ... which made him a nightmare for hunters. I think it was that twist alone that made me pick this story.

@Nora got a vote for "The Esper's Tears", mainly because, again, I'm a huge X-Men fan (and a fan of people with freaky psychic powers in general) and because I thought the emotions of the protagonist were fairly well done. I loved the father/daughter bond and the background on the protagonist. I also liked that, as bad as her circumstances were, she recognized that her powers still made her better off than other orphans. She came across a real and flawed, and I felt her pain when she thought her foster father was dead. And of course, as I said, I'm a sucker for people getting exploded by little girls with psychic powers. :)

@Alex Hormann got my vote just because of how mundane his protagonist's hunt ended up being. It was just a guy trying to get the cheapest labor possible! I loved that the story was fantastic (zombies!) while the actual goal of the guy being investigated was just to get some workers he didn't have to pay. It was the mundane motivations in a fantastical story that set this apart for me.

Finally, I want to say my favorite of the four I chose was @LightRunner 's "The Boy Who Spoke Dakota", because it was just a sweet story overall. It instantly conjured fond memories of the middle grade and YA fantasy I read when I was younger, and I just fell in love with the little Loch Ness Monster (which, for some reason, I pictured as a purple cartoon squid). It stood out because it was so different from the others, featuring a normal kid who didn't even have special powers, just the ability to speak a different language. He wasn't a private eye or a witch or a psychic or anything else. Plus, I loved the ending, and I felt something when he reunited the little squid with Nessie.

That said, I was a big fan of many of the other stories as well (including @Jmack 's!) so I'm glad it won.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:50:10 PM by tebakutis »

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »
Pleased so many people trying out stories despite  comments they didn't read urban or thought it was mainly PR ;D
Definitely this!
I mean, it wasn't my favourite month (not many stories got a 5 from me), and some of the stories were really not my style, but it was still good and very interesting to read :)

And to think... normally I always vote for Rukaio, but this month I decided to go somewhere different: if I'd voted for him, it would be another tie between him and Jmack ;D

Offline gennerik

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »
Congratulations, @Jmack ! There were a lot of good stories this month, so well done to everyone, especially those top 4.
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »
Jmack for the double! And now he's the sole Lord Ruler!

My own votes went to @Elfy, @D_Bates, @Rukaio_Alter and @shadowkat678 .

I usually don't vote for comedy but the first three really made me laugh and the last one was Arthurian legend in urban setting without Arthur  :o
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2017, 11:38:38 PM »
BTW, I just posted @Rukaio_Alter 's story from last February on the Twitter, so I'm going to give that a day to be cool before posting the news of @Jmack 's win. So I haven't forgotten, just don't want announcements crowding out other announcements. :)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2017, 11:47:41 PM »
Thanks to those who voted for me. And congratulations to the usual suspect.  ;)
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2017, 01:41:10 AM »
Congratulations Jmack! I voted for you.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2017, 04:12:29 AM »
Congrats to @Jmack for this month. I did vote for it, but my favourite was @LightRunner's The Boy Who Spoke Dakota, however that didn't get a lot of love from the voters. Maybe it was a little too light and hopeful for many people's tastes.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2017, 08:24:02 AM »
Congrats, Jmack! It was really close and you weren't always on the pole position, so it was exciting to see the race! (Sorry you lot couldn't. ;))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »
Congrats, Jmack! It was really close and you weren't always on the pole position, so it was exciting to see the race! (Sorry you lot couldn't. ;))
Yep, definitely ;D

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »
Congrats @Jmack !
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.