January 25, 2020, 07:52:28 AM

Author Topic: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 34319 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
Doesn't that depend on the story?

I've just done three rewrite of the same story. The first draft was a ton of sentences that made no story by themselves, the second was all those ideas making sense in a plot but still not making a good story, the third was a boring, clunky and A to B type story. The third was lighter but all reworked to be interesting and light (in my own opinion of course).

Rewrites might suck but if what you have had great potential but is unpublishable as is, then isn't it the best of all option? It's pretty efficient because you know exactly what you want to say and where you want to get, just not how.
I often start rewrites in different tenses. I think of it as a way of changing clothes before going out, trying what'll make the story stand out the most  :D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline gennerik

« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
Rewrites might suck but if what you have had great potential but is unpublishable as is, then isn't it the best of all option? It's pretty efficient because you know exactly what you want to say and where you want to get, just not how.
I often start rewrites in different tenses. I think of it as a way of changing clothes before going out, trying what'll make the story stand out the most  :D

Couldn't agree more.  I normally try to avoid rewriting something, but sometimes it's unavoidable (or even preferred).  There have been a few times where I've written something that I'm initially happy with, but then later find that it's clunky or overly wordy.  Many times it's better/easier to just rewrite than the constant slashing and burning trying to fix it.
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  I normally try to avoid rewriting something, but sometimes it's unavoidable (or even preferred).  There have been a few times where I've written something that I'm initially happy with, but then later find that it's clunky or overly wordy.  Many times it's better/easier to just rewrite than the constant slashing and burning trying to fix it.

For a seat-of-pantser like me, re-writing is a given for anything I'm looking to publish. Not complete novel re-writes, but chapter re-writes are very common. I find this is especially a problem when I'm doing third-person and following several different characters. Messing up their voice is so common for me.

Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2017, 04:13:43 PM »
I definitely agree that rewriting can get you to a much better story, but often if I am rewriting, the write becomes fundamentally different from the original draft. The one that I posted had the same setting and some of the same characters as the original, but their personality traits had shifted and the conflict was different.

So, in a lot of ways, I would consider the re-write a completely different story. Does that make sense? That's why it feels inefficient to me. Writing the second draft went quickly because I knew where I was going, but it's frustrating that I had to write a different story to get to the posted one.

I suppose that's how we grow as writers though...   :P

Offline gennerik

« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2017, 05:07:08 PM »
I definitely agree that rewriting can get you to a much better story, but often if I am rewriting, the write becomes fundamentally different from the original draft. The one that I posted had the same setting and some of the same characters as the original, but their personality traits had shifted and the conflict was different.

So, in a lot of ways, I would consider the re-write a completely different story. Does that make sense? That's why it feels inefficient to me. Writing the second draft went quickly because I knew where I was going, but it's frustrating that I had to write a different story to get to the posted one.

I suppose that's how we grow as writers though...   :P

That does happen, especially in shorter stories.  One write, you have a modern day, 1500 word thriller, the next you've got a 1500 word yesteryear dystopian alternate history.

That is why I try to keep my complete rewrites to a minimum, but sometimes you just have to take the plunge.
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2017, 05:13:39 PM »
If the story is completely different in a way you are happier with, it's evolution. If you're not happy with it and wanted to keep the original characters and motivations... then what are you a slave of, that you had no choice?

If you're unhappy with the way your rewrite went, just do another rewrite. *evil laughter*
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2017, 08:29:50 PM »
Doing the last 500 words. The issue is transitioning the plot points in a believable and smooth transition. In other words...this is screwing me over. Rewrite, they said. Cut some things out, they agreed with. Looks better. Still not complete. 8)
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
I still haven't seen @Lanko's story, despite some comments about not leaving stuff for the last day ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2017, 10:48:44 PM »
Phew. Got mine done just in time.

Funnily enough, I actually think this has been the most difficult month for me to come up with a story since I started doing this contest. Not because I couldn't think of any ideas, mind. On the contrary, my problem was I had too many ideas and none of them immediately felt strong enough, especially since I'm not the sort to go for a story idea unless I think it really stands out. Plus, as fun as doing zany comedies is, I've been trying to stretch out of my comfort zone for the last few weeks, so I couldn't just go to that fallback.

That said, I'm really happy with how this entry turned out. It was an idea I only came up with a day ago, yet it all flowed together so naturally. It's still light and amusing like I enjoy, but feels more structured and works in a more low-key way than usual. And hell, the first draft even came out at around 1500 words for once, so I didn't have to shear it all down like is so often the case.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2017, 03:05:44 AM »
I DID IT! IT IS OFFICIALLY IN!!!!!!!
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
My story is in.

I thought about submitting it anonymously, but the bicycle would have probably given me away.  ::)

It was pretty fun to write, listening to some film noir jazz, but the editing sucked. Went from 1850+ words to 1497, and I'm afraid that it shows.

Also tried to write it with American spelling this time because I felt it somehow fit the mood better. Emphasis on tried.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
@Lanko come on man, where is your story? You can't be two days late every month! Maybe missing a deadline or publishing unsatisfying material will boost your writing next time around!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
@Lanko come on man, where is your story? You can't be two days late every month! Maybe missing a deadline or publishing unsatisfying material will boost your writing next time around!
This, this!
I'm going to lock the thread later today >:(

Edit: wow, you submitted 30 seconds after I posted this ;D

Anyone else? I'm locking the thread, contact me if needed to add a last minute one ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:43:10 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »

I did start it pretty early and actually finished it almost ten days ago! But it was pretty hard to get back to it due to various reasons. Well, it's in just in case, though I still need to cut or if I can't you can disqualify it. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Bea, you posted it just as I posted  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »
I'm just happy I wasn't the last one in. Thanks for taking that spot from me, you two. 8)